Portable treat for Latino or Hispanic family

Kathie Freeman

That Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
catbook.biz
Here's the situation. In the English version of my book, a woman is packing a bag of groceries for a down-on-their-luck family and one of the things she includes is a package of home-made peanut-butter cookies. So what would a Spanish-speaking woman pack as a portable, nonperishable treat, something she made herself?

RAMHALite

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, can only offer perishables. I suggest pasteles en masa, a meat or bean concoction wrapped in dough. Delicioso, and typical homemade dish for picnics, outings, etc. Popular in Latin America, PR, and elsewhere en el caribe.

--RAMAHLite

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
empanaditas .... a fruit pastry made with a circle of dough folded over a fruit filling. Much like a Cornish pastie, but with fruit.

They aren't much for baking in AZ or Mexico, because the Mexican bakeries are really good, and cheap.

Phil DeBlanque

Registered
Reaction score
If the family is from Argentina or Uruguay: alfajor, probably. a kind of a small sandwich made of a sweet dough with dulce de leche between then. Sometimes, covered with chocolate. A poor family would probably skip such covering.

If from Brazil: In the south and central part of Brazil, the choices would probably be "bolinho de chuva" ("rain little cake"). Small (enough to fill a regular spoon)portions of a sweet dough mixed with baked banana and, aftwards, covered with sugar and cinammon. Now I'm hungry.
That, or "biscoito de polvilho". A small, white cookie made with milk and the starch of tapioca (cassava, manioc). That would really nonpereshable. I'm even more hungry.
Now, at the north/northeast of Brazil, the choice would be "rapadura". It's a compact mass made of sugar cane and cut in candybar shapes. It's very hard to bite and very sweet. Also extremelly durable.

Of course, if you choose those brazilian treats, your family would not speak Spanish.
Hope that helps.

Kathie Freeman

That Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
catbook.biz
I love flan, but that has to be transported in dishes, and I don't think this character would use something like that in this situation. It's bad enough that her husband just arrested the family breadwinner, she isn't going to want to stick the poor woman with extra dishes to wash and return. She is also very health-conscious, so dulce de leche wouldn't be high on her list. I like the idea of empanaditas. I found several recipes online, and it can be made either with meat or fruit, so I think I will go with that, thanks.