PDA

View Full Version : This . . . this is a cry . . .

JoeEkaitis
07-31-2008, 12:38 AM
. . . a desperate cry for help. (http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/columns/article.php/3762326/Whats+Wrong+With+Microsofts+Mojave+Experiment?.htm )

Mr. Fix
07-31-2008, 12:44 AM
Yeah, still not buying it! I am very much considering a move to Apple on my next computer purchase.

Shadow_Ferret
07-31-2008, 01:10 AM
I love Vista. I have it on two laptops and have never had a problem with either. I find it a much better interface than XP ever was.

Have never understood what all the negative hoopla has been about it.

Clair Dickson
07-31-2008, 02:00 AM
You know, my MIL thought Window 98 was a great system. And some people even eat coconut. (People-- it's in a thick hard shell for a reason! =)

Vista has its issues. So do Macs. I think it really comes down to what you want to do with and what you're willing to put up with.

Microsoft reminds me of the odd numbered Star Trek movies... ;-)

CBumpkin
07-31-2008, 03:02 AM
Yeah, still not buying it! I am very much considering a move to Apple on my next computer purchase.

I hated computers when I had Windows. It was time for a new computer this January and it dawned on me to consider Macs instead of buying Windows out of sheer habit.

I spent a lot of time on the REALLY, REALLY FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL Mac Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/) and they were so patient and kind to answer every question I had. I bought an iMac and could NOT be happier! I love computers again!

Here's how I describe my experience: Having Windows is like buying a car and having to push it everywhere you go. Buying a Mac is like getting a chauffeur with the car.

You might pay a little more upfront, but you save a lot of money in the end because you aren't buying yearly antivirus, spyware, and all the other security software out there. You don't need it. (And everything is drag and drop, which is great!) Also, the extended warranty is much cheaper. I paid $169 for 3 years. Every windows product computer I looked at was $469 for 3 years. And, as any Mac user will tell you, you'll forget how much you paid for it because it won't matter - it was worth every dime.

Pagey's_Girl
07-31-2008, 03:53 AM
You know, my MIL thought Window 98 was a great system. And some people even eat coconut. (People-- it's in a thick hard shell for a reason! =)

My father refused to switch from Windows 98 SE. He thought that was the greatest operating system since DOS. Of course, he also believed anti-virus software was nothing but a scam by the computer companies to wring more money out of the end users. Gawds, the time I spent trying to get his computer working after something had hosed it once again.

BTW, he was an engineer at IBM for 37 years. He built the bloody things for a living!

CBumpkin
07-31-2008, 04:07 AM
And some people even eat coconut. (People-- it's in a thick hard shell for a reason! =)

I love buying young coconuts. The water in them is one of my favorite drinks. I peel all the flesh out of the shell, which has a latex-type feel to it, put it in a bowl of water and put it in the fridge to snack on. Mmmm...

Siddow
07-31-2008, 05:29 AM

You wouldn't be alone. http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/fb147.jpg?w=500&h=375

stormie
07-31-2008, 05:34 AM
We now have all computers (five) in this house using Vista. Mine's almost a year and a half old. As long as you have 2 GB memory and also a good processor (not Celeron), Vista should run fine.

san_remo_ave
07-31-2008, 05:55 AM
You wouldn't be alone. http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/fb147.jpg?w=500&h=375

:ROFL: You gotta love those new Intel Macs!

Cassiopeia
07-31-2008, 05:58 AM
I can't stand Vista. You have to do so much just to get to ONE freaking program. LOL. Okay so that is an exaggeration but DBF has it on his laptop and I can't stand it. My daughter has it on hers and I won't even touch it. I will keep my XP thank you very much and my Mac OSX for my laptop.

benbradley
07-31-2008, 06:04 AM
Nay, it's not a cry, you're just being a drama queen... it's just the same kind of lie any scum business would do. "See? Our New Product IS great, just like we told you all along!"

I spent a lot of time on the REALLY, REALLY FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL Mac Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/) and they were so patient and kind to answer every question I had.
Huh? <impertinent question> Why would you need forums to ask questions if the thing is so great?

Here's how I describe my experience: Having Windows is like buying a car and having to push it everywhere you go. Buying a Mac is like getting a chauffeur with the car.
(okay, since we're all going over the top...) Hardy Heron is like the Star Trek transporter. And even Mac users can install it.

Shadow_Ferret
07-31-2008, 06:09 AM
I hated computers when I had Windows. It was time for a new computer this January and it dawned on me to consider Macs instead of buying Windows out of sheer habit.
I have nothing against Macs. I've worked on them, the new operating system is pretty cool, but for the price of a Mac Notebook I got a really nice full screen HP laptop with all the bells and whistles. Macs are just too expensive for what you get. If Mac wasn't so proprietary and allowed for Mac clones, I'd probably have bought those instead.

akiwiguy
07-31-2008, 09:26 AM
I don't profess to know a lot about Macs, but I'm a bit suspicious sometimes when users compare operating systems, in terms of what they're comparing.

In terms of business productivity, a lot of Windows apps are seriously powerful in their capabilities. Now, I'd typically have Office, multiple Explorer, Visual Studio development environment (now I defy anyone to show me a software development system as hot as VS!), developer version of SQL Server, and several other apps.. all running at once. That's serious overhead. Yet Vista handles it.

The other night I had a data-crunching app running in the background and discovered a setting in my SQL server was allowing it to gobble all but 0.4 Gb of my RAM. OK, all those other apps were slowing but still running, jeeeez... the system shoud have broken!

I get really good feedback about MAcs, so I'm not arguing that point.. but I think there are a lot of factors that go into why a system is potentially unstable.

I think MS make hot productivity tools at the business end, and there is a cost to that sophistication. I'm sometimes amazed how stable Windows IS! As a programmer when I look at what I'm using and how I'm pushing it! Yeah, I have some gripes, but... MS make some hot products in my opinion.

CBumpkin
07-31-2008, 11:12 AM
Huh? <impertinent question> Why would you need forums to ask questions if the thing is so great?

Because I didn't just automatically decide to go with a Mac. I had to research them. I didn't know anything about them. I took the time to research my needs and which computer filled them the best. I took the advice I received from other Mac users and went to the Apple Store and played around with them to see if they were for me. Now that I have it and have experience with them, I consider them to be great and better than Windows.

--------

I just gave my opinion and experience. I'm not going to debate them. To match some other's comments here, I will say the following, to show that the comments work both ways:

When I was researching Macs, Mac users were gracious, welcoming, patient, kind and very helpful. It was obvious from their selfless posts that they were very happy and excited about their Macs. When I went to Windows Forums to ask questions about comparisons and get their opinions about certain things on Windows, it took forever before one person would respond. They were grumpy and only responded if they got something out of it. They were bitter about Macs. The mere mention of them made them angry. You would have thought I was cheating on them or something. So, they were unhappy and unkind. Mac users were happy and helpful. On the Mac forums, when someone thanked them for their help and said they'll stick with Windows because it fit their needs, the Mac people wished them well and said that Macs aren't for everyone.

I made my decision based on the computers themselves, but it was very interesting to note the complete differences between the users on each forum.

CBumpkin
07-31-2008, 11:17 AM
I have nothing against Macs. I've worked on them, the new operating system is pretty cool, but for the price of a Mac Notebook I got a really nice full screen HP laptop with all the bells and whistles. Macs are just too expensive for what you get. If Mac wasn't so proprietary and allowed for Mac clones, I'd probably have bought those instead.

Yeah, the prices are higher, but I found it to be worth it. Mine has been absolutely carefree. Macs aren't for everyone, though. Price-wise, like I said, I believe they balance out after you figure in needing to buy all the anti-virus, spyware, etc., on a yearly basis for a Windows computer.

The price concerned me but the people on the Mac Forums said, "Don't worry about the price too much. Six months after you buy it, you'll forget what you paid for it because it'll be worth every penny." Honestly, they were right. I do still remember what I paid for an iMac, but I'm glad I chose to get it. It's worth it.

Windows is powerful, there's no disputing that at all. They are the perfect computer for many people. I'm just not one of them. Those who are familiar with all the languages and codes and what to do to fix all the error messages can easily use Windows. I'm not that computer savvy and the constant error messages and repairs were frustrating. When I would take it in for repairs, the technicians even said it wasn't anything I was doing, but a common problem with certain aspects of Windows. That's what finally got to me. If people love their Windows PCs and laptops, I think that's fantastic.

CBumpkin
07-31-2008, 12:04 PM
Wow - Apple should hire you for their PR department. Hillary Clinton definitely should have hired you :D

Ha! I don't mean to be a Mac Spokesperson. It's just that, for me, it was the right choice after several months of objective research on both companies and their products.

You mustn't have gone to some of the mac forums i've visited (note: i haven't started threads and asked for help, but i have read a fair few). But it's all about perspective really, isn't it?

The only Mac forum I went to was the one I linked to in my first post. People were very friendly, helpful and responded really quickly to questions people were asking. And yes, it is absolutely all about perspective.

Anyway, if you like mac, good for you :). They're certainly not terrible, but they're not necessarily the 'Answer' either.

I don't think anyone's invented "the answer" yet. To do that they'd have to rid the world of all spammers, scammers, viruses, thieves and mean people!

I admire everyone with extreme computer savvy. Many of the people here are like that and I find them astounding that they can know so much about computers. As for me, my needs are so very simple. I use my computer to write, e-mail, surf, a few message boards and make a few videos for YouTube. Windows can very easily do all those things, just like Mac can. Mac is much more user friendly for people like me who have no interest in learning codes and languages and just want to drag and drop what we need, where we need it. On the other hand, I've seen people do phenomenal things with their Macs that I've never seen on Windows. (But, that's most likely from my limited experience.)

If it makes people feel any better, I'm still using my Microsoft laser mouse. I don't like Mac's mouse at all. :)

Note note: i run windows XP at home without any antivirus. Don't have any trouble, personally, but that's probably because i know what i'm doing. Yeah, see, you're one of those smart people I was talking about earlier.

Note note note: it'll be interesting to see how firefox and other mac browsers, and mac OS's stand up to hacking and spyware and viruses as apple gains a greater market share. Up until now their market share has been so small that there really hasn't been anything to gain by hitting them. But that may soon change.

My understanding, which is very limited, mostly from rumors, is that Microsoft gets hit so hard because people hate them as a company and the monopoly they have/had in the market, forcing people to buy from them. I heard that hackers and virus makers don't use Windows, but Linux. That's why Linux doesn't get hit with viruses - because they don't want to infect their own systems. I have no idea how Mac does or doesn't fit into the virus situation.

JimmyB27
07-31-2008, 02:00 PM
You know what? I'm a Mac user - at least I was until some little gobshite stole my laptop :rant: - and this whole Windows vs. Mac thing is getting really old. I love Mac OS, I love the design of Macs. Some people don't. And I'm ok with that. I never understood the evangelical worship of Macs, as if they were able to bring enlightenment and eternal peace to mankind or something. It's just a freaking computer for gawd's sake!

(As for the virus thing, according to a study I read about, MS is actually a lot better at responding to security problems than Apple, in terms of speed of getting a patch out - maybe because they've had more practice ;)).

CBumpkin
07-31-2008, 02:40 PM
You know what? I'm a Mac user - at least I was until some little gobshite stole my laptop :rant: - and this whole Windows vs. Mac thing is getting really old. I love Mac OS, I love the design of Macs. Some people don't. And I'm ok with that. I never understood the evangelical worship of Macs, as if they were able to bring enlightenment and eternal peace to mankind or something. It's just a freaking computer for gawd's sake!

(As for the virus thing, according to a study I read about, MS is actually a lot better at responding to security problems than Apple, in terms of speed of getting a patch out - maybe because they've had more practice ;)).

Wow. You really ARE a grouchy bastard aren't you?! (Just quoting you from the "I Hope This Makes You Smile" thread! LOL)

I agree, though. It's just a computer. Just a thing. But, when I need to use a computer, I'm glad mine's a Mac! (For my purposes...)
If my apartment were burning to the ground and I could save only one thing, it wouldn't be my computer. I'm not that attached to any "thing."

petec
07-31-2008, 02:54 PM
If my apartment were burning to the ground and I could save only one thing, it wouldn't be my computer.

Sod the computer

I would save my XP disc

P.S. I still have my 98 disc

Bartholomew
07-31-2008, 03:03 PM
I have Vista on a laptop. It really isn't that horrible. Heck, after all the updates, it runs a lot of my programs better than XP. And it has never crashed. Ever. No matter how much I hate certain aspects of Vista, I can't get around the fact that it's very, very stable. My XP box routinely crashes about every 20 hours.

Shadow_Ferret
07-31-2008, 05:14 PM
Yeah, the prices are higher, but I found it to be worth it. Mine has been absolutely carefree. Macs aren't for everyone, though. Price-wise, like I said, I believe they balance out after you figure in needing to buy all the anti-virus, spyware, etc., on a yearly basis for a Windows computer.

Yeah, viruses. I work with Security guys and they tell me, no matter what computer you have, if you don't have virus protection you're just inviting trouble. Macs are not bullet proof. No system is. The only thing going for Macs is that because of the low numbers of users, creating viruses for them just isn't as much fun. Crashing a couple hundred Macs isn't anywhere near as newsworthy as crashing entire world network of PCs.

So even with a Mac, I'd still have an anti-virus on it. My information is far too valuable to put my trust into any operating system to protect.

JimmyB27
07-31-2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah, viruses. I work with Security guys and they tell me, no matter what computer you have, if you don't have virus protection you're just inviting trouble. Macs are not bullet proof. No system is. The only thing going for Macs is that because of the low numbers of users, creating viruses for them just isn't as much fun. Crashing a couple hundred Macs isn't anywhere near as newsworthy as crashing entire world network of PCs.

So even with a Mac, I'd still have an anti-virus on it. My information is far too valuable to put my trust into any operating system to protect.
I've never had anti-virus on any OS, and never had any problems.