PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

Project nachonaco
07-30-2008, 09:21 PM
OK, so I have a job interview with AT&T.

This is a 40 hour job, so yeah, it might take a toll on me schoolwise.

Here's what it's gonna be like for me at school:

MWF: there from 10 am to 12 pm.
TTh: there from 9 am to 2:45 pm with a 2hr15min break in between two of my classes.

Hypothetically, I would be working at AT&T from 3pm-12am with approximately 1hr30min break time total that i could use for homework. Since I'm only taking five classes (an orientation-type class, basic algebra, Rhet & Comp, a speech class, and world civilizations), and although I'm getting all my credit hours, I don't think that the courseload will be TOO demanding.

One problem is that, if I get the job, for 2 weeks (well really 10 class days) I'll miss my classes because of an 8-5 schedule.

So, what should I do? I really, really need this job because it pays twice as much as my current one and I have a more dynamic schedule. Like, I'll work for 40 hours vs. 8 hours one week and 29 the next.

So, what should I do?

alleycat
07-30-2008, 09:23 PM
If you're going to school, it's going to be very hard to hold down a forty-hour a week job.

And you know what we're going to tell you about what's most important, right? ;-)

Project nachonaco
07-30-2008, 09:24 PM
If you're going to school, it's going to be very hard to hold down a forty-hour a week job.

And you know what we're going to tell you about what's most important, right? ;-)

Why do you think I put Orlando Bloom as an option? :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
07-30-2008, 09:25 PM
And school is okay with your missing two weeks?

Project nachonaco
07-30-2008, 09:26 PM
And school is okay with your missing two weeks?

Waiting for an official announcement, but I like to have all my bases covered....I haven't contacted the university yet but I will upon receiving word. :D

Silver King
07-30-2008, 09:29 PM
...One problem is that, if I get the job, for 2 weeks (well really 10 class days) I'll miss my classes because of an 8-5 schedule...
That's a serious conflict, and you could potentially fail those classes.

When you finish school, you'll be working the rest of your life, so there's no sense rushing into this job. For now, you should focus on the near-term, which is to complete your studies without taking on the kind of employment that will cause you to miss classes.

Just my opinion and all of that.

alleycat
07-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Why do you think I put Orlando Bloom as an option? :D
Yes, but you didn't put "Click my heels twice and do both at once."

Siddow
07-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Do you want to work for AT&T for the rest of your life? Then take the job.

If you have other plans for the rest of your life, then put school first. Work around school. Be creative about it, too. There's no law that says you have to work for someone else.

You said you need this job. Do you really? Or would it just be nice, for a while?

Angelinity
07-30-2008, 09:34 PM
wait a minute here. you got the job? or have an interview for a job?

Project nachonaco
07-30-2008, 09:36 PM
I have passed the interview stage and they said I should hear something either way in 2 weeks.

Silver King
07-30-2008, 09:47 PM
I have passed the interview stage and they said I should hear something either way in 2 weeks.
Well, what was your point in asking our opinion if you've already decided to take on the job?

Or have I missed something here? (That wouldn't be surprising, as most things fly past me at warp speed.)

Angelinity
07-30-2008, 09:50 PM
if you were forthright about the conflict with your study schedule, i doubt you need to worry about it. companies don't generally seek out potential employees with conflicting commitments.

but if you didn't say anything and they pick you, i'd say go for it. sometimes it's good to test the elasticity of your resources: how much you can handle well...

Silver King
07-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Oh, I see what caused my confusion. It was this:

OK, so I have a job interview with AT&T.
You should have used the past tense form: "So I've had a job interview with AT&T."

You're having second thoughts about taking the job, right? Or is there something else I've missed?

Shadow_Ferret
07-30-2008, 09:53 PM
I like money. Is it good pay with good benefits and lots of potential for professional and personal growth? Then I'd go for the job and complete school at night (or in the morning if you're working the night shift).

How close are you to finishing?

Just remember, once you start making serious money it's hard to break away from that to return to full-time school. Money is like a drug. The more you make, the more you need.

Silver King
07-30-2008, 09:56 PM
...Money is like a drug. The more you make, the more you need.
That's one of the sanest and most truthful comments you'll ever hear anywhere.

Project nachonaco
07-30-2008, 09:58 PM
I like money. Is it good pay with good benefits and lots of potential for professional and personal growth? Then I'd go for the job and complete school at night (or in the morning if you're working the night shift).

How close are you to finishing?

Just remember, once you start making serious money it's hard to break away from that to return to full-time school. Money is like a drug. The more you make, the more you need.

I'm beginning my freshman year.

Yeah, tenses mess me up sometimes, hehehe. :D

Odds are I'll be getting the 3-12 shift, since that's what's the most empty.

Right now (dunno if I mentioned this) the thing is I'll miss 10 days for sure of classes, but I think I can get caught up online if I get my books.

moth
07-30-2008, 10:13 PM
But ten days can be a lot. I agree, school comes first. I had a job I looooved in college, one with lots of advancement and earning potential. But at the semester mark when my class schedule changed, it caused a conflict in my work hours. I'd have had to miss the equivalent of two or three weeks of classes over the whole semester. (Not consecutive though. It sounds like yours will be consecutive. IMO that's harder to get caught up from.) I asked my boss and she said she was sorry, she'd help if she could, but she couldn't be flexible about it. After lots of thought I left that job and got another. And even in the short term, I was very glad I did. Other doors opened up that would never have been there had I chosen work over school, and ten-plus years out from that decision, I am sooooo glad I chose to live lean for a few years to make school the priority. I cringe to think what could have happened had I put that (now not-so-cool) job first.

I know how it is to need more income. I truly do. I also know that it is much easier to tighten your belt when you have only yourself to provide for, no kids or pets or dreaded property taxes to figure into the budget. I don't mean to sound harsh and I hope it's not coming off that way. I'm saying this from an I've-been-there standpoint, in the hopes that it will be useful to you and helpful in making your decision. Kind of a 'what I'd tell my younger self' thing, if my younger self were doing it all over again. I wish you the best no matter what you decide. :)