A rose by any other name

Annabella

writer again
Registered
Reaction score
I’m putting this here because, while it could pertain to writing, it has more to do with my dating life. At the moment said dating life is close to nonexistant. So, I decided to try the internet dating thing. I’m not sure how well it’s working. You would be surprised the number of people who don’t know how to spell check. Now, I don’t claim to be the best speller in the land. (I could, in fact, claim the worst title.) I’m trying to work around this fact. However, I’m running into an unusual problem.

Are there names you just can’t stand? Maybe Peter Smith put gum in your hair in the first grade resulting in the worst. haircut. ever. So now all Peter’s are cute haircut killers. Or maybe Ralph Macchio broke your heart and you can’t watch The Karate Kid without crying. So when I come across a profile with wit, correctly spelled words, and is grammatically correct…I swoon. Then I read his name and it’s Hubert (or something like that). Oh dear. I don’t know if I can get past that.
Am I completely off my rocker? Am I normal?

Oh and Hi, again. :hi:I'm back. AND I am writing again.
And that is a magical feat in itself.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
Naw. You're completely sane. I almost blew my husband off because I dated a guy who named Richard who was obsessive and controlling. Now I have him and another person with the same name who is a very dear and thoughtful friend. Glad I gave the rest of the Richards another shot...

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I totally understand how you feel. But, I would hope you'd give the guy a chance to change your mind on Huberts. It's (more than likely) not his fault he has that name!

Personally, I can't stand the way the name Daniel sounds when I say it. (There are other people who say the name and it sounds fine!) When I say it, it sounds a little too much like Danielle, so I call my supervisor Dan. Luckily, he's okay with that. =)

mab

Registered
Reaction score
I know what you mean- I have weird prejudices about some names. In fact, of my 2 serious relationships I didn't really like either of their names.

BUT- they didn't choose their own names, and can't help their parent's choices. Also, tons of blokes are known by their middle or last name, so you might not have to use the name on the profile. So get to know them a little, maybe think of a good nickname for them. I never call my boyfriend his 'real' name, I have a special name for him...sounds mushy and weird but there you go!

You don't want to miss out on love just 'cos of a name.

(This also reminds me of 'the Importance of being Earnest', where she wanted her husband to have one particular name- now that's extreme!)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Give 'em all a pet name. Say . . . "Boo Boo".