PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to do a blog scavenger hunt?

chan
07-29-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm super excited that Doubleday is giving me 5 ARCs of Andrew Davidson's THE GARGOYLE to give away on Fumbling with Fiction. It's generated a lot of buzz because as a debut novel it received a $1.25 million advance!

Now, I'm hoping y'all will help me to brainstorm contest ideas/ways that I can give them away.

If you leave ideas in the comments section of Fumbling with Fiction then it will count as an entry to win an ARC of Heather Terrell's THE MAP THIEF--which will not disqualify you from winning THE GARGOYLE.

Anyway, I hope y'all can help me out! Thanks!

chan
07-30-2008, 08:17 PM
So, I'm trying to give away some ARCs for a few books and I thought it might be fun if we did an AW scavenger hunt???

I'd post a list of questions and links to y'alls blogs and you would come up with a question that readers have to find the answer to on your blog.

It could be fun for everyone...get some traffic to your blogs and help people to find fun things to read.

Let me know if you'd like to play along!

Feathers
07-31-2008, 12:01 AM
I would use this as a little self-promotion opportunity...you could have a drawing where everyone who mentions the drawing on their blog, gets entered. Something like that. Maybe you'd like to do a small writing contest to practice some method you used on your blog? Best first line contest? Best entry starting with a first line you provide? Writing contests always seem to generate a lot of responses.

-Feathers

Feathers
07-31-2008, 12:06 AM
Guess you thought up some of your own ideas :)

If you can get a few others to participate, I'll play. Sorry, that sounds vauge; what I mean is that if you actually get this thing off the ground and decide you want to go ahead with it, yeah, count me in.

Smile,
- Feathers

gypsyscarlett
07-31-2008, 12:15 AM
Sounds like fun. I'm totally in. :snoopy:

chan
07-31-2008, 02:08 AM
Thanks,s guys.

Feathers, still playing around with some ideas but didn't get a ton of suggestions. I feel lame just asking people to be entered for the drawing by commenting for two weeks in a row, but if that's what people want then that's what I'll do. I'm worried this might be too much effort, but I saw it done on a few blogs and it looked fun!

In an attempt to explain better.

The way it works is that I come up with a list of questions. Each dealing with a different blog. So I'm just going to make up an example question, but say I used Feathers' blog for question #1. It would look like this:

1. What is the Third Writerly Sin?

And then the blog reader has to rummage through your blog to find the correct answer.

To be entered to win a book copy, the reader has to come up with all the right answers and submit them to me.

Feathers
07-31-2008, 03:59 AM
Two weeks does sound a little long to go rummaging every five seconds; but I think one week would be fine. Maybe you post new questions each day? You might get participants if you add a link to this thread in your siggy.

(Lol, I'm still thinking that you want ideas. Sorry.)

But am I right that this means I wouldn't have to do anything except sign up, and maybe advertise your giveaway on my blog?

-Feathers

gypsyscarlett
07-31-2008, 12:43 PM
I've never done anything like this before. Hell, my blog is only a couple weeks old. What do I know? :tongue

But here's my idea on this scavenger thingie.

What if a few days beforehand, you let us know the date of it. That way people who want to participate will be prepared to go online then. Personally, I think a Saturday or Sunday would be the best day since most have it off from work.

Anyway, on that day you post the questions. Let's say for example 15. One question per 15 blogs. The first people who PM you with the correct answers get the ARCs.

Would that work?

L M Ashton
07-31-2008, 03:41 PM
Chan, I've merged the two threads since they're the same thing. Please don't start multiple threads on the same topic. If you want a thread title changed, you can PM either me or Dawno or both and we can take care of that for you. :)

misslissy
07-31-2008, 09:30 PM
I would be in for a blog scavenger hunt when you finally figure out all the details. I think it would be a lot of fun.

chan
08-02-2008, 02:54 AM
Ok, so, I think I'm going to just go for it and we can see how well it works. If it's fun, then maybe we can do it again sometime and maybe we'll have ideas on how to make it better.

Here are the details:

When: The Questions will be posted Monday, August 4. That means I'd like anyone who would like their blog to be a scavenger hunt participant to have their question + the answer to me by Monday, August 4 at noon.

What You Need to Do: Email me at chandler1986@gmail.com or PM me here with "Scavenger Hunt" in the subject line.

What Should Be in the email/PM?: A question regarding you or your blog that can be found somewhere on your blog. (**Note: The questions shouldn't be too, too hard. Just Fun!)

Example:

Question #1: Aside from her boyfriend, who would top Chandler's list of the Sexiest Man in the World?

Answer: Jay Leno (which can be found easily on the About section of my blog)

Ok, so you would send me the question, the answer, and your blog url and I would obviously just post the question with a link to your blog.

Rules: After the questions are posted, the first 4 people to email me with the correct answers when a Gargoyle ARC. But, after emailing the person has to jump in the comments section of Fumbling with Fiction and declare to the world that they finished.

Can You Still Win An ARC?: Yes, even if your blog is a scavenger hunt participant, you may win an ARC provided you complete the rest of the hunt correctly.

Who: So far, I have interest from Feathers, gypsyscarlett, misslissy, and Jay. Let me know if y'all still want to do it and whoever else wants to jump in feel free!

I hope this was clear and let me know if you need clarification or you think that something should be done differently.

Polenth
08-02-2008, 04:19 AM
Does the question need to be from the last few posts, or just something that is easy to find? (like searching for the main keyword or glancing through the archive titles for last month)

gypsyscarlett
08-02-2008, 07:12 AM
Yup- I'm still in! The rules are pretty clear and simple to me. :)

chan
08-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Good question, Polenth...I would say, just easy to find. If you don't have a search widget on your blog, though, you should probably keep it to the first page of posts, or to your "About" section or a similar page.

Glad you're still in gypsy!

gypsyscarlett
08-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Okay...a stupid question just popped into my head.
When you said that after one emails you with the answers, they are to go to the comments section of Fumbling with Fiction to announce they are finished- do you mean the comments section in your blog, "Fumbling with Fiction" or the thread here on AW: "Book giveaway on Fumbling with Fiction" ?

I'm gathering you mean your blog, but I just want to make sure. :e2coffee:

Btw- I PM'd you with my question and answer

chan
08-02-2008, 08:55 PM
My blog. Yes. Thanks for asking. And I got your PM