PDA

View Full Version : Creative Writers...Interview Question

Star
07-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Greetings Fellow Writers,

I've recently rec'd the news that my job is being phased out. :(
My company is required to place me in a job I qualify for. The problem is, I'm at the top of my grade, and I've been fortunate enough to work in an unstressful position. However, if I go elsewhere, there may be elements involved that I can't handle, and I'd like to TACTFULLY mention this in my placement interview.

Here's the deal. In the spirit of Bartleby, I prefer NOT to work with the public, or in a customer service capacity. Is there a creative way to explain this without looking like an anti-social clown?

Also, I prefer NOT to manage student workers. Is there a creative way to explain this without looking like I can't lead a team?

In short, my current position was total bliss. I dealt with most folks over the phone and internet. Now I'm being thrust into a workforce I just ain't used to. Any advice other than quitting? I'm trying to bide my time with my company because I've been here so long, and I have a book coming out, so I don't want to up and leave - then have to start over with time and sick days at a new gig.

Your input is invaluable to me. Thanks in advance.

Fraulein
07-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Perhaps you can say that you prefer to work "behind the scenes" and with your "peers".

Star
07-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Hmm, I like that. Thanks!:Sun:

Hobbes
07-30-2008, 08:08 PM
You really want to support the company and help it move forward and you believe the skills you possess, which, as nerdy pointed out, are behind the scenes, can really help them in that capacity. If you're a whiz on the phone and/or internet, you should continue along those lines...but remain open to training on other similar tasks that will help support the company.

:) good luck!

Clair Dickson
07-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Highlight your strengths as a behind the scenes worker. talk about how well you work with... um, paperwork, organization, filing, research or whatever. Explain how quick and knowledgable you are. Be positive.

Then you look competent (because you're spending your time explaining what you're GOOD at) and not anti-social or a complainer or whatnot.

Mela
07-30-2008, 08:20 PM
I think I can best help the company in a capacity similar to what I was doing, taking a support role instead of a public role. I was able to gain the company recognition {insert plug for what a great worker you are and what you've done for the company} and feel I'm best suited to continue in this way.

Star
07-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Hobbs and Clair, great points!!! Thanks & lot.

lol at "good at paperwork" but see, paper doesn't argue back, or tell you why it's entitled to special privileges....methinks you get the point. I swear I'm a nice person, especially when folks are nice in return. :)

Fraulein
07-30-2008, 08:23 PM
You really want to support the company and help it move forward and you believe the skills you possess, which, as nerdy pointed out, are behind the scenes, can really help them in that capacity. If you're a whiz on the phone and/or internet, you should continue along those lines...but remain open to training on other similar tasks that will help support the company.

:) good luck!
I agree.

I think it would also be beneficial if Star could list his/her attributes, in general, to give the company an idea of where they can place him/her in the future, e.g. typing skills, proficiency of Windows, Excel, Power Point, etc., and any skills that have been gained along the way (that would not point directly to customer relations or being a teacher of students).

Ditto the good luck! :)

Star
07-30-2008, 08:24 PM
ohhh Mela, I love that!

You guys are so freakin' talented. *shaking head in awe*:cry:

Thanks again Nerd...gee, I don't like calling you a nerd, but you understand.

scheherazade
07-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Just tell them you're an introvert and want a position that would make best use of your unique talents. If the interviewers are HR people they'll totally understand about personality fit. Emphasize that you prefer to be able to think over what you say in your communications and would prefer to be in a role that gives you the comfort of distance (eg email or phone based communication) rather than getting stressed about too much interaction. They already have you on staff, so even if you express something as a limitation (which introversion isn't - as long as you emphasize the coordinate strenghths - attention to detail, ability to work independently, or whatever your assets) it's in their best interest to try to fit you somewhere that doesn't challenge that limitation and taps into your strengths, rather than trying to put you somewhere where you'll be ineffective for the company and for your own health.

Star
07-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Gee, I appreciate your input, but I think by bringing up my introverted nature and need for distance may coin me a loony! egads!

SPMiller
07-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Considering how many people are introverted, I seriously, seriously doubt that.