PDA

View Full Version : Poo on the doorstep!

Sophia
07-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Not flaming, thankfully! I was heading out to an appointment this morning and opened the front door to a big pile of manure/rubbish/flies right outside. I'm guessing someone carried it over in a wheelbarrow and tipped it out during the night. A sign was damaged, too.

I'm not sure how personal it is; we have a good relationship with our neighbours and haven't caused any problems for anyone that we know of. Suspect numero uno is a bloke up the road who told hubby once that we'd "moved into world war three" because our house was built on a patch of wasteland which used to be his shortcut, and he'd objected to the site being developed. Losing the shortcut can add perhaps two minutes' walking time to any journey around here, and I'm not sure why he would blame us particularly as we just bought the house once it was built, but he did bully another of the new residents, and has a history of being a 'problem' according to our really nice next door neighbours. But still, it seems a bit OTT!

I was a bit agitated over it this morning but I'm pretty calm now; I reported it to the local police station, who were very helpful and reassuring and hopefully someone from the local council services will be coming along to help clear it up. I didn't want to slowly get more and more wound up over it, though, so I'm posting here in the hope of some bucking up from you guys. :)

Tink
07-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Thats pretty sh*tty, isn't it?!
Who would be so imature enough to pull a stunt like that? Surely an adult didn't but then again, you never know...
Hopefully you and/or the police find out who did it and that it never happens again. That is a horrible way to start the day.

smoothseas
07-30-2008, 04:23 PM
How very irritating!

But, OTH...

oh bla dee,
oh bla dah,
life goes on child...

And, FWIT, as me granny always usta tell me... "don't sweat the small stuff."

DeborahM
07-30-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm sorry I can't personally give you any advice...however, I do have a story for you...

My mom bought a 246 acre ranch which grows coastal hay with one old house and barn on the property and way out in nowheresville. She had a trailer moved in on the property until she had her house built.

Three days after she moved in, right in the exact center of her welcome mat was a pile of coyote dung. No, it wasn't saying welcome to the neighborhood. She took it as "Sh@# on you for moving in on my territory!"

Sophia
07-30-2008, 11:12 PM
Thank you for taking the time to give sage advice, everyone!

The incident has actually ended quite happily. The council were saying it might take until the weekend for someone to come round, so we decided to have a go ourselves. We spoke to our next-door neighbour, whom we now refer to as "our local Dad", and he commiserated, had a good old chat with us and leant us his wheelbarrow and shovel and showed us where we could dump the stuff (an abandoned house nearby). He said he did hear noises late last night but couldn't see anything, and it seems likely that someone had simply emptied one of the garden waste bags from somebody's house that were due to be collected yesterday. Local Dad rinsed down the door and the area in front of it for us, and we feel much better for having someone friendly and 'on our side' here. We also gave him a little tour of our tiny garden and he was very impressed, which was nice. :)

I don't know if it will happen again, and am slightly concerned about it if I let myself think about it too much, but overall, it led to even better relations with our neighbour and like smoothseas said, it was just small stuff really. :)

Thanks for reading. :)

Gravity
07-31-2008, 03:06 AM
:::blush::: Okay, I have to admit it. That was me, sorry. One of these days I'll learn I simply cannot eat Mexican at that hour of the night...:tongue

All kidding aside, I'm glad things worked out amicably!

kct webber
07-31-2008, 08:34 AM
If you are worried about it happening again, get a security camera. They are not that expensive and not that difficult to install. It worked for me when someone was stealing my gas. I even had the astounding luck to catch the son-of-a-bitch in the act. He never did it again. And even one of the little fake ones that run on batteries can deter your poo-slinger.

Bartholomew
07-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Get a really big dog.

Better: get a really big cat. The sort that live off of antelope.

Either way, as long you post up a sign, you've got a very solid security system.

(Our old house had a "Beware of Skunk" sign. Worked like a charm, too!)

kct webber
07-31-2008, 12:59 PM

My uncle had a sign on his porch that said, "This house is guarded by shotgun three nights a week. You guess which three."

Bartholomew
07-31-2008, 02:57 PM
My uncle had a sign on his porch that said, "This house is guarded by shotgun three nights a week. You guess which three."

An evolved form of Russian Roulette. Nice.

Nakhlasmoke
07-31-2008, 03:40 PM
It's kinda sad that my first thought was "Free Compost! Wheee!"

What a very rude thing to do. I'm glad your police and neighbours are being helpful

JimmyB27
07-31-2008, 04:08 PM
May I just say that 'poo' remains a much funnier word than it should be to a 27 year old.

Sophia
07-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the many laughs, everyone! :D

Nakhlasmoke: Adding it to the compost bin or digging it into a flowerbed actually was something we considered! We didn't in the end, partly because there was more stuff in there than just organic matter, and partly because I didn't really want the reminder of it in the garden, which is a happy place. :)

James81
07-31-2008, 04:36 PM
:roll:

I know it's insensitive to laugh at this, but it's one of those things that is definately funny so long as it doesn't happen to yourself.

If stuff keeps happening you should buy a survelliance camera.

chevbrock
08-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Even one of those door things that go "beeep" when you walk through the beam.

Dawno
08-01-2008, 06:07 PM
This isn't really TIO material. Please read "Differences between TIO and OP"
(http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27607)

If you're blowing off steam about general life stuff, that goes in Office Party, too. Or if you're worried about a member, or there's something horrible in the news, etc. I know it may feel kind of funny posting serious things in "Office Party," but that is still the appropriate place for it.

Underline is mine - 'something [horrible] in the news' belongs on the Politics and Current Events board.

Thank you.

Moving to Office Party. Please fasten your seatbelts, and return your seatbacks and tray tables to their upright, locked positions.

Bartholomew
10-27-2008, 10:20 AM
This isn't really TIO material. Please read "Differences between TIO and OP"
(http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27607)

Underline is mine - 'something [horrible] in the news' belongs on the Politics and Current Events board.

Thank you.

Moving to Office Party. Please fasten your seatbelts, and return your seatbacks and tray tables to their upright, locked positions.

Way to kill an awesome thread, BTW. :(

Darzian
10-27-2008, 11:58 AM
I live in a flat. The same thing happened to me last week, except I knew exactly who did it. A woman (apply every bad word possible here) keeps a dog in the flat, disregarding the flat policies that prohibit pets. The flat committee even brought a police officer but she refused to give up the dog. Eventually they threatened legal action. She still refused.

Noone wanted the bother of going to court so they gave up. She now keeps her dog, which had it's morning **** on MY doorstep. I can't believe she lets it run around loose!

I SO HATE that woman. She's got a VERY bad reputation (got loans from everyone, didn't pay any back). The people who gave her the loans are always stalking her so she moves homes every few months. I'm eagerly awaiting her departure.

The ******* dog also urinated on my doorstep. I swear I'll kill it if I see it again. There's only so much that a person can take.

even worse, her apartment is directly above mine. She washed her balcony every few days, (due to the messy affairs of the dog) and everything comes down to a raised cement platform just outside MY balcony (I incidentally keep a lot of potted plants here). Can this get any worse?
:rant:

Susie
10-27-2008, 03:31 PM
That's a shame, Elara. Hope he doesn't bother you anymore and they clean it up right away.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-27-2008, 03:56 PM
And, FWIT, as me granny always usta tell me... "don't sweat the small stuff."

And it's all small stuff. ;)

She washed her balcony every few days, (due to the messy affairs of the dog) and everything comes down to a raised cement platform just outside MY balcony (I incidentally keep a lot of potted plants here). Can this get any worse?
:rant:

NEVER ask that! NEVER! There are mystical beings about who are charged with the task of waiting for those words to be spoken... then they go to work showing you just how it can get MUCH worse.

Darzian
10-27-2008, 04:08 PM
NEVER ask that! NEVER! There are mystical beings about who are charged with the task of waiting for those words to be spoken... then they go to work showing you just how it can get MUCH worse.

I totally agree. I also highly suspect that a large multitude of them beings linger around my home.

Just to let you know, the former occupant of that apartment was also a nightmare. He cooked strange organs of strange animals and the stench (yes it is food but I can use no word other than stench) was unbearable. What did I say? Yes, I said: "Can this get worse?"

The mystical beings must have heard it. Damn them.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-27-2008, 04:13 PM
See? SEE?! I rest my case.

Maryn
10-27-2008, 05:21 PM
<snip>Noone wanted the bother of going to court so they gave up.<snip>Herein lies the problem. If it bothers you to the extent that you hate this woman, be the person who takes the bother to go to court. If you refuse to act, you forfeit complaining rights. Not bothering to do what you can says, "Hey, it's perfectly all right to fill my life and those of our neighbors with your dog's poop and pee. We don't mind all that much. Certainly not enough to get up off our butts and do anything about it."

even worse, her apartment is directly above mine. She washed her balcony every few days, (due to the messy affairs of the dog) and everything comes down to a raised cement platform just outside MY balconyIn the US, this would get the county Health Department on her case, literally, forcing her to stop washing down the area with water and quite possibly making her move.

And yeah, it can get a lot worse.

Maryn, blessed with good neighbors--but for how long?

Darzian
10-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Herein lies the problem. If it bothers you to the extent that you hate this woman, be the person who takes the bother to go to court. If you refuse to act, you forfeit complaining rights. Not bothering to do what you can says, "Hey, it's perfectly all right to fill my life and those of our neighbors with your dog's poop and pee. We don't mind all that much. Certainly not enough to get up off our butts and do anything about it."
In the US, this would get the county Health Department on her case, literally, forcing her to stop washing down the area with water and quite possibly making her move.

And yeah, it can get a lot worse.

Maryn, blessed with good neighbors--but for how long?

We were going to say something initially, but it isn't polite to do so while the Flat Committee is still trying to solve the problem. For heaven's sake, she said NO to a policeman in the face! I would really like to do something, but my mother doesn't recommend it due to the nature of this country. Suppose that lady tipped off the authorities that I'm a terrorist (which I'm not BTW), then I'd be arrested and tortured before anyone can say anything and my family would likely not see me again.

That is the life of a tamil in Sri Lanka, and the reason for me wanting to get out as soon as possible.

Furthermore, that lady is totally capable of doing such a thing.

This may sound unbelievable, but it's true. And it is a just excuse for me not interfering, to some extent. The possible risks are too high.

Unfortunately, there really ARE rebels walking the streets like civilians, but the police doesn't bother with a pleasant inquiry first. It-is-not-nice.

I'm scheduled to leave for Malaysia for college if all goes well next feb.

Besides, she won't be here for long. By the time a court case reaches a verdict, she'd have changed her home 4 times at least.

Nivarion
10-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Get a really big dog.

Better: get a really big cat. The sort that live off of antelope.

Either way, as long you post up a sign, you've got a very solid security system.

that or get a watch goose. i am not kidding they are the most territorial and frigtening animals on the earth. the brown ones will camo into the ground and when you get close the jump to about eye level swak and flap their wings in your face. they use them all the time in the back waters of utah.

this reminds me of something one of my uncles did when he a teenager.
he went on over to the neighbor he didn't like, took a dump on their front porch, wiped and stuck the toilet paper to the doornob. ewww

wordmonkey
10-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Household pepper or vinegar put around your doormat will be enough to move the dog along. It has established your places a toilet area, so it comes back. You need to mask the smell and convince it that someone more "potent" has taken that space.

Darzian
10-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Household pepper or vinegar put around your doormat will be enough to move the dog along. It has established your places a toilet area, so it comes back. You need to mask the smell and convince it that someone more "potent" has taken that space.

I'm SO going to try that.

Maryn
10-27-2008, 08:14 PM
We used to have a squirrel, opossum, and raccoon problem around our trash can. White vinegar (not cider vinegar or any of the flavored ones) poured or sprayed in the area really did help. So did non-sudsing, unscented ammonia, which smells like old urine. Best of all was our son, who was thrilled (at age 7 or so) to be allowed to pee outdoors when we weren't in some remote area, so long as I stood guard with my back turned to make sure nobody saw. I suspect your neighbors just aren't going to go for that, though. ;)

Maryn, animal wrangler

Darzian
10-31-2008, 09:33 AM
UPDATE everyone:

I casually met the said woman on the street (while walking her dog incidentally) and calmly stated my problems. I'd let the Flat Commitee do everything before as I'm supposed to but considering that they had given up, I thought a few words may help. She assured me that she'd keep tighter control on the dog and also not wash the 'stuff' down the balcony any more. I'm expecting her to keep her word.

But then again, she's got a trail of creditors, each demanding thousands of dollars. She deceived all of them.

She talks so smoothly she should become a politician. All my angry points practically vanished by the way she addressed them. Let's wait and see.

(PS: I applied vinegar and some chilli powder around the door just in case. Bring it on doggie!)