the use of suggestions

Dichroic

that's di-CROW-ick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
riseagain.net
Over in the crit forum, a comment from ^Graff included the following interesting bit (reposted here with permission):

"And, for future reference, when i spy (or any other critic) tells you the bits in your poem that made them stumble, or that pulled them out of the experience of the poem, or which read as false, or whatever, they're letting you know the best ways to communicate to your audience. "
As it happens, I disagree with the last clause. I think ^Graff's point here is thoughtful, and mostly absolutely right, but the final clause implies (to me) that a critter's *suggestion* is what shows the poet how best to communicate. That may not be what was intended, but I think it's an interesting point to explore, anyway.

My experience is that while comments about where a poem falls short are often dead-on, the suggestions for how to fix a problem are much less often just right. This is because the suggestion can only work if the commenter understands exactly what the poet is trying to say, and if that part of the poem needed to be critiqued, it's often exactly because it wasn't clear.

So are suggestions useless or presumptuous? I don't think so.

1. They help illustrate the problem; sometimes it's hard to explain what's wrong but a sample correction, even if not a perfect fix, may commnicate better than a hundred phrases of explanation ever could.

1a. A careful reading of a suggestion can show where a reader thinks a poem is trying to go - this can be especially helpful where the real problem isn't where the critter pointed, but stems from elsewhere in the poem and is only reflected at the point of critique. And it may also point new possibilities within the poem to be explored.

1b. This is the most important point for me.

2. They can spark ideas for the poet, like a brainstorming session.

3. And of course the suggestion may after all be exactly what was needed. it does happen.

Thanks, ^Graff, for giving me a jumping-off point to discuss something I've been thinking about. What do the rest of you think? I know some people hate suggestions; as I've tried to show above, I like them and find them helpful - even if I'm not likely to take them often.

^Graff

Slasher.
Registered
Reaction score
I see how what I said was not completely clear. I think I agree with you: a sample correction is most useful in that it shows us the point of conflict between the reader's understanding and experience of the poem and the writer's intended meaning. It means that there has been a miscommunication somewhere in the piece -- perhaps, as you noted, caused by some earlier miscomprehension, but finding its expression at that point in the piece.

So when we say to other writers "this read odd to me" or "this seemed to contradict the main thrust of the piece," we are offering the writer a window into our interpretation of the piece. This is useful for the poet, insofar as it shows hir that there has been a miscommunication, and what form it has taken.

I'd love to hear what other people have to say.

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
Removing an, a,and,the,etc. will more than likely help more than hinder. When another poet says the image is bad and offers another possibility, I usually use it just like Dichroic states in point 2, as a brainstorming session and see if I can't find a better way to go about it.

I feel that a poem belongs to the poet only as far as ownership goes, than to whoever reads it. So the more good poets reading and offering suggestions the better. We don't have to take them all.

Last edited:

i spy

integrating
Registered
Reaction score
i love seeing through the eyes of others. the truth can shred a person but it's worth it. those who remain standing are poets. although i might not agree with them on all points, i will not dismiss their suggestions and/or thoughts as frivolous. they certainly aren't. on the contrary, i seek middle ground with which to better communicate my experience to those who take time to read. it's akin to being in a foreign country with multi-languages and i like learning them all. i like it hard and straight. i give what i can take.

Last edited: