Agency contract for my 2nd novel

katdad

Registered curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.waas.us
Today I received the contract offer from my agent to represent me for my 2nd mystery novel.

It's a standard boilerplate 15% contract -- my agent is an AAR and MWA signatory, so the agency charges zero up front fees. I'll sign and return it tomorrow.

They already represent me for my 1st novel, but it's been so short time that nothing has transpired yet -- I only signed the 1st contract at the end of 2004, and book biz really doesn't get started until the new year.

As most of you know, I'm writing a series of modern private detective novels, based in Houston, the "Mitch King Mystery" series. The first 2 novels "Full Circle" and "Sudden Storm" are complete (and now under representation). I'm now engaged in writing the 3rd novel, "Business As Usual.

You can read more about my stuff on my "Mystery" page at my website:

http://www.waas.us

And I'm transitioning to a new PC in the next few days so I'll likely be offline.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How exciting the mundane can be, eh? Not just a book contract, but a second book contract.

Good luck transferring everything safely to the new PC--they're making it easier with each generation but it's still a major pain! We'll be here when you get back.

Maryn

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
OT here...but with my last PC switch, I used a program called PC Relocator Ultra Control. I don't know how much it was, my husband picked it up, but it worked like a dream. EVERYTHING transferred to where it belonged. It was worth whatever he paid...I would have spent that much on Advil fixing it all had I done it manually anyway!

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, KD!
Let us know when the books sell, and we'll come party with you in Houston! (Uh, you -will- pick up the first round, right?) ;)

katdad

Registered curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.waas.us
Back online

Finally got the new Dell computer fired up and loaded all the stuff -- Norton antivirus and such, so I am now back in business.

Also bought TWO new HP printers -- one is their new low price LaserJet and it really zooms! And the other is their 3-in-1 color scanner, coper, printer. Works fine too.

I'm fairly confident regarding my novels getting placed this spring and my agent feels the same way.

Anyone who has questions please let me know.

katdad

Registered curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.waas.us
Becoming an author I'm experienced with. I've been a "arthur" for most of my life.

Becoming a published novelist is what I'm looking for now! ha ha

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
I've been offline due to an amazing trip to Peru, then coming home to a crashed hard drive. Ended up with a new machine, and here I am. Although I detest these laptop keyboards.

Katdad, what's up? Any news on the publishing front?

Lisa

katdad

Registered curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.waas.us
No news is no news

Well, my agent is taking the usual route that most agents do: disappearing.

I've shared this with my literary pals, many of whom are solid published writers, and they usually say it's the same thing -- you sign with your agent, the agent promptly disappears and drops off the edge of the world, and then one day, you get that phone call "I've got an offer for you to consider from xxx publishing."

Actually I received my regular update letter from my agent (most agents update their clients on a 60-day or 30-day basis). He listed the publishers to whom he'd sent my novels, and the date thereof.

In reality, there's little else that an agent can report, until the actual offer or sale is made. So you go along without much news until there's some positive news.

I'm optimistic however, because I think my stuff is publishable. So I keep writing other things and trust my agent.

After all, he doesn't get a red cent until he sells the stuff.

Hope your computer problems are behind you. I've recently bought a super nice Dell desktop and two, count 'em, two printers, an HP LaserJet and an HP PSC 3-in-1 color printer.

I just received notification that my new HP laptop that I ordered has shipped, and I should receive it in a day or two.

katdad

Registered curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.waas.us
Thanks for the kind words.

In the summer it's nearly impossible to place a novel because all the editors are in the Hamptons on their vacation.

I don't think I'll get any action, at the earliest, until September.