LOL, don't do this with a sword :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivonia

Zodiac Fleet Commander
Registered
Reaction score
Was researching some swords and whatnot online, and ran into this link. While it's not entirely genre related (unless you have swords and stuff in your story, in which case it is hehe), it's one of those "don't do this at home" type deals.

Realistically speaking, I wonder if anyone in history has ever done anything this silly. I might have my main character do something like this in a flashback when he's younger just to show how clueless he was with a sword hehe.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/katanaslip.html

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully, most historical weapons weren't quite as, uh, "frugally made" as that one looked to be. I especially like how he'd just gotten done telling you how strong it was and suggesting you could use it for practicing with.

katiebug57

Registered
Reaction score
I musta missed something here. I clicked on the site to begin a video, and it redirected me to something that didn't look like it had anything to do with swords, but rather a download.

I'm rather gun shy re: downloads; don't want to get spammed. Anyone vouch for this site?

Katiebug

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Katie, it's a short video outtake of a guy on one of those home shopping networks who's selling replica swords. He bangs the blade on the table in front of him only to have it break. The front portion about 8 inches long bounces back from the table to jab him in the midriff area. He realizes he's hurt, starts saying something to the effect that this isn't good, and eventually they realize he's not kidding.

I've seen it before. It's funny in a sick joke sort of way. It's safe to view otherwise. I don't think they have any software downloading with it.

VMcNeill

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vtwopointo.wordpress.com
swords should be able to bend a little. Even practicing with that sword would be both useless and dangerous. That was kind of funny though.

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
A properly tempered sword will have quite a bit of flex in it. Anything so brittle that it breaks like this is completely useless.

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
DaveKuzminski said:
He also demonstrated the value of good armor. Even a shield made of wood is apparently adequate.

Shields aren't armour! You'd be very unlikely to ever cut through a properly made shield unless you were wielding a full-sized two handed axe, or caught it edge on with a very, very good blow. Trying to cleave a shield is probably a good way of getting killed.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I probably should have qualified that statement as I was referring to how often TV and movies show shields breaking when hit by swords, though they do show shields standing up to intense battering as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.