PDA

View Full Version : Rockin' and Rollin' in LA

Rainy Night
07-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Earthquake... it shook us at the WB pretty good

Blondchen
07-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Pretty good sized shaker just rolled through....

MsK
07-29-2008, 10:58 PM
5.8 Whoo Hoo...

MsK
07-29-2008, 10:59 PM
jen75- check in girl.

jessegrillofilm
07-29-2008, 11:00 PM
yeah. that was scary. 5.8

Rainy Night
07-29-2008, 11:04 PM
I was on the 4th floor, felt like the building dropped and then it just rocked back and forth for a while.

jennifer75
07-29-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm on 8th floor, historical building, downtown LA....not fun. Could be worse, 3 yrs ago was on the 47th floor. Say it with me......ICK.

jennifer75
07-29-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm here I'm here! I was duckin and runnin in record time!

jennifer75
07-29-2008, 11:11 PM
And THEN I think...Oh no I didn't save!

Rainy Night
07-29-2008, 11:12 PM
I'll say it with you... ICK. I'm glad I wasn't any higher up!

Soccer Mom
07-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Gah! Glad you're all okay.

jennifer75
07-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Now I've got heartburn.

Kitty Pryde
07-29-2008, 11:17 PM
That was scary! It was the biggest one I've experienced in my six years in Cali. I was just thinking, please stop shaking, please don't let me die during a meeting with my boss! Isn't there a better way I could go?? Luckily no major damage and no one hurt I hope.
http://laist.com/2008/07/29/58_earthquake_strikes_southern_cali.php

Blondchen
07-29-2008, 11:18 PM
I was freshman at UCLA (yeah, I'm dating myself) during the Northridge quake. It literally threw me out of my bunk.

I was in junior high during the Loma Prieta quake in the Bay Area (where I grew up) and that one was pretty horrifying.

But this was a pretty good shaker. Like, enough to remind us that we live in quake country but not enough to kill people. :)

jessegrillofilm
07-29-2008, 11:21 PM
I think everyone asks the same question whenever an earthquake happens in california "Is this the big one?"

jennifer75
07-29-2008, 11:21 PM
I was freshman at UCLA (yeah, I'm dating myself) during the Northridge quake. It literally threw me out of my bunk.

But this was a pretty good shaker. Like, enough to remind us that we live in quake country but not enough to kill people. :)

I've never ran faster. I was hurdling objects, and out the door. That one was a goooooood one.

And yea, but what sucks and causes the heart burn is that one is usually accompanied by another. So, yea, here on pins and needles.

jennifer75
07-29-2008, 11:25 PM
I think everyone asks the same question whenever an earthquake happens in california "Is this the big one?"
Man, they're all big in one way or another. Saying there is one Big One is just silly.

Rainy Night
07-29-2008, 11:31 PM
If you can feel it then it's big enough for me!

talps
07-29-2008, 11:37 PM
They've downgraded us to a 5.4! Some nerve, huh?!

I agree - certainly not as ferocious as Northridge... But I'm scanning my memory here, and I think it's possibly the biggest one we've had since?

zagoraz
07-29-2008, 11:58 PM
I was in an office building in Chatsworth. Major shaking going on... My first earthquake too... Glad I got it over with.

WendyNYC
07-30-2008, 12:38 AM
My husband is in LA and he sent me an email while I was on the beach today. "I'm okay here," it read. "Um...great?" I answered. I hadn't heard about the quake.

Now I feel like a jerk.

Sorry, honey.

Blondchen
07-30-2008, 12:54 AM
But I'm scanning my memory here, and I think it's possibly the biggest one we've had since?

Definitely felt like it.

donroc
07-30-2008, 12:56 AM
A native Californian now living in Florida, people do not believe me when I describe a phenomenon called Earthquake Weather. Shortly before the quakes come, the air feels heavier and there is an unusual silence. The quake does not always come under those situations, but it seemed to me and my wife and others those conditions appeared more often than not before one came.

WendyNYC
07-30-2008, 12:58 AM
I lived through the Northridge quake and I still have nightmares about it now and then. Terrifying. Sometimes the quake dreams overlap with my midwestern tornado and NYC 9-11 dreams.

Glad you all are okay.

SpookyWriter
07-30-2008, 01:13 AM
It was a big jolt, but NOTHING like the Northridge quake. Of course, I lived in Tarzana at that time and was only 2-3 miles from the epicenter.
That Northridge one scared the daylights out of me!I moved from Encino a couple years before that one. Yep, I'm a happy earth quake survivor.

Maui Author
07-30-2008, 01:38 AM
I was in LA for the Northridge one. Scary stuff.

KC Sunshine
07-30-2008, 02:06 AM
So glad to hear you're all okay!

My aunt lives in Sherman Oaks- I've tried calling, but it's pretty difficult to get through at the moment from Australia.

She lived through Northridge as well and lost her apartment (it fell down!). She can't even go on the Earthquake ride at Universal Studios anymore, it was so terrifying and life destroying. Northridge that is, not the tram tour. Although that is disturbing ;)

What's the mood on the street guys? Is everyone still dazed and confused, or just relieved it's all over?

Kitty Pryde
07-30-2008, 02:13 AM
So glad to hear you're all okay!

My aunt lives in Sherman Oaks- I've tried calling, but it's pretty difficult to get through at the moment from Australia.

She lived through Northridge as well and lost her apartment (it fell down!). She can't even go on the Earthquake ride at Universal Studios anymore, it was so terrifying and life destroying. Northridge that is, not the tram tour. Although that is disturbing ;)

What's the mood on the street guys? Is everyone still dazed and confused, or just relieved it's all over?

Peeps in Sherman Oaks should be just fine. That's quite far from the epicenter. Scared perhaps, but fully intact.
I'd say the mood here is displeased but getting on with business. I think a lot of people are concerned about aftershocks or the small chance of a bigger one coming. I'm just glad that I used to work on the top floor of a 16 story building, and now I work on the top floor of a 2 story building!

SpookyWriter
07-30-2008, 02:19 AM
Sounds like we have lived in some of the same places. Didn't I read that you have lived in Arizona also?
You've got me beat with your current home. I've never been to Ireland, but it looks just gorgeous in film and pictures. Plus- the pubs. :DYou'd be better off listing the places I haven't lived yet. :D

maestrowork
07-30-2008, 04:11 AM
I'm in LA now and just lived through my first earthquake and it was 5.4. How about that? My parents place really shook -- it swayed from left to right. They're still pretty shook up (pun intended) but I thought it was kind of neat... It's so weird.

The epicenter is about 10 miles from where my brother works. They had to evacuate.

Now I can say I've been in an earthquake. Neat. I'm just glad it wasn't a disastrous one and the damages are kept to the minimum.

JoNightshade
07-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Busy yesterday so I didn't post here, but just wanted to say we got quite a ride too! I'm in Ventura county. I work in the sanctuary of a former church so it's a big open space - nothing to fall. For us, the quake was like standing on the end of a dock in foul weather - big, rolling waves for quite a long while. Inside, all of the plants were swaying back and forth, and you could see everything else moving outside. We all just sat there looking at each other going "Okay, is this going to stop or not?" It was so long!

We have some foreign girls in the office and it's funny to see their reaction (gripping table, frozen in fear) versus the rest of us, who are native Californians... we're like, "Eh, it's fine."

jennifer75
07-30-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm in LA now and just lived through my first earthquake and it was 5.4. How about that?

Ooooooooooooooooh fabulous! How'd you like it? Was it what you thought it would be? Were you scared? Did you tinkle in your pants?

I get this close to tinkling in my pants every time one hits. Really. Then I bold out the door.