PDA

View Full Version : Happy Anniversary, NASA!

Shadow_Ferret
07-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Way to go. The "Space Age" is 50 years old!

Whoohoo!

Now let's put a man on Mars already!

Shadow_Ferret
07-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Amazing what they used to be able to do with a bunch of slide rules.

I never did learn how to work a slide rule.

*wonders if this shouldn't be moved to Science Fact where it might get some responses*

MattW
07-30-2008, 02:42 AM
Happy birthday NASA - thanks for the Tang!

Forget Mars, it's now a race to see who holds the embarrassing (yet inevitable) title of First (Wo)Man to Visit Uranus.

Jersey Chick
07-30-2008, 02:45 AM
I saw a real cool special on Discovery - When We Left Earth

Gave me a whole new appreciation for NASA

oh, and I heart Apollo 13 as well! :D

benbradley
07-30-2008, 03:37 AM
Amazing what they used to be able to do with a bunch of slide rules.

I never did learn how to work a slide rule.

*wonders if this shouldn't be moved to Science Fact where it might get some responses*
I khow how to use a slide rule. It's just like two number lines that slide against each other that you would use to add, but the numbers on the scales are logarithmic, so it actually multiplies.

But they didn't use slide rules for everything - some things needed better than three or four places of accuracy. They DID have digital computers back then, but they ran slower than today's handheld calculators.

And the "space pens" and Teflon, and the Hubble pics, and a bunch of other interesting stuff. (http://www.techbriefs.com/)

kct webber
07-30-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm still waiting for the aliens. :(

Chameleon
07-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Forget Mars, it's now a race to see who holds the embarrassing (yet inevitable) title of First (Wo)Man to Visit Uranus.

LOL.

I'm a fan of Mercury ..is it too late to train to become an astronaut?

EriRae
07-30-2008, 10:13 AM

And the "space pens" and Teflon, and the Hubble pics, and a bunch of other interesting stuff. (http://www.techbriefs.com/)

My (least) favorite is Tempurpedic... So astronauts like sleeping on bricks...that's what you get when it's 55 degrees--the temperature my husband keeps our house in the winter. Space is colder. Astronauts must have more time than I do to fall asleep. It takes a good fifteen minutes of body heat for the bed to feel somewhat comfortable.

EriRae
07-30-2008, 10:21 AM
LOL.

I'm a fan of Mercury ..is it too late to train to become an astronaut?

I'm also a fan of Mercury. How does that involve becoming an astronaut? :D

I see Mercury becoming a prison planet one day. Violent offenders on the hot side, non-violent-offenders on the cold side. What? That's inhumane? They MIGHT adapt.

Sorry, Ed. Didn't mean to derail.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NASA! :Cake:

Shadow_Ferret
07-31-2008, 01:13 AM
*sigh*

Growing up in the 60s was a marvelous experience. Allen Shephard (sorry about the spelling). John Glenn. Neal Armstrong.

Orbits, Space walks, and finally the landing.

Man, that was exciting.

Hasn't been anything like it since, unfortunately.