Need advice on age of my protagonist

Status
Not open for further replies.

wurdwise

Banned
Reaction score
I really need some guidance. I keep hearing that my 13 year old protagonist seems younger, and maybe she should be. I was informed when I started writing for middle readers that even though the readership is 9-12, they like to read stories about someone older than them, in other words, that you should write up to them, not down. I agree with that. What I am thinking of doing is changing Maddy's age to 12, and I guess that means my readership would be, what, 8-11 year olds? Is that still considered a middle reader? And if not, what is it considered in the genre world? And this is very important, would a sixth grade class have an end of school dance? Is that realistic? This is sounding more and more like the solution to my problem, because my character is the same throughout the novel and I want her to stay that way, even if she needs to lose a year! Some of you seasoned experts, please offer your opinions and feedback.

Thanks, Denise

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
Yes, a sixth grade class could have an end of year dance. And it would be quite a heady moment because it would likely be their first experience at such a thing.

I don't know the law on what ages equal what bookshelf at the store.

-paprika

Zolah

Over the hills and far away
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoemarriott.com
You're right that young readers generally want a protagonist either the same age or slightly older than them. Twelve year olds could and would still read your story, so your age range would still be 8-12.

But thirteen and twelve are not so very different - would making your heroine one year younger really make her a lot more realistic? If she's acting in a way that makes thirteen seem too mature, then twelve would probably feel the same. What precisely is she doing in the story that makes her seem less mature?

wurdwise

Banned
Reaction score
She belongs in the 60's! :LilLove: I figured it out, my novel is actually coming from my own memories of being that age, so I am going back in time!

Zolah

Over the hills and far away
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoemarriott.com
Well, that would explain why the heroine is quite young for her age. Children generally matured more slowly physically and emotionally 30 years ago. But if that means that your 12-13 year old heroine is acting like a 10 year old of 2005, then you need to do one of three things:

1) Set the book in the 60's. Use your memories of that more innocent decade to give realism to your story.

2) Make the heroine an age which is appropriate to her actions in today's world (which may be quite a lot younger).

3) Think about showing the heroine doing more 'grown-up' things, or at least making the transition to more adult throughts or responsibilities.

Obviously this is just my opinion - but the fact that other people have pin-pointed the heroine's age as something that did not ring true suggests it's something you need to think about. Good Luck. :heart:

IWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Wurd -

I kinda like the idea of you setting it in the past. Your details and character definitely have a nostalgic feel to them.

wurdwise

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, IWrite, I'm also liking the idea, better and better. I belong to a very small writing group and they have read a few excerpts, are intimate with Maddy and they say the same thing. Heck, it sounds like fun, too, and I bet it turns out to be an infinitely more realistic, and therefore, better book.

Almost makes me want to slap my self upside the head like in the V-8 commercial! :Smack: Why didn't I see this sooner?

Oh, well, with a lot of help from my friends here and there, at least I see it before the durn things going through it's rejections rounds! Not to say I won't get rejections for my new version, but I bet they won't be as hard to swallow!

Thanks for all your input, you've been a great help, as have so many others.
Denise

Status
Not open for further replies.