PDA

View Full Version : The Self Addressed Stamped Envelope

zeprosnepsid
04-21-2005, 03:52 AM
Has anyone every gotten a bite on their query returned in their self addressed stamped envelope? Or can I pretty much assume it's a no as soon as I see my own handwriting?

Julie Worth
04-21-2005, 03:58 AM
I've gotten a dozen that way, so be sure to open them.

clara bow
04-21-2005, 09:01 AM
Yes, the process works. Sometimes they respond via email instead of using your SASE, though. For me, it helps to have a realistic attitude about it. I send out lots and lots of queries and expect lots and lots of rejections. I have to laugh and celebrate each one.

A published author may have different results, of course.

Rose
04-21-2005, 09:14 AM
My second acceptance - and check - came in the SASE I provided with my spec article. I remember turning to my hound dog and saying, "Great, another rejection." Then I opened it, and the next thing you know I was doing the happy dance!

And, uh, yeah, I do talk to my dog. A lot.

Jamesaritchie
04-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Has anyone every gotten a bite on their query returned in their self addressed stamped envelope? Or can I pretty much assume it's a no as soon as I see my own handwriting?

Depending on the area, literally hundreds. Most often it's been article queries for magazines, but a few short story queries have been answered this way.

But I would suggest you avoid writing in longhand and either print directly on the envelope, or use printed labels.

Professionalism can be important, and rightly or wrongly, handwritten addresses can give a bad first impression.

arkady
04-21-2005, 05:27 PM

I got a request for partial on my novel in my SSAE.

maestrowork
04-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Oh yeah, I get requests all the time in my own SASE. Acceptance, however, usually comes from email or company stationery.

zeprosnepsid
04-22-2005, 12:53 AM
thanks everyone!

so acceptances/requests do sometimes come back in your own envelopes. Now I will wait till I actually open the envelope until I feel dissapointed (or not!) =)

I'm only waiting one on novel query from my last batch though -- time to send out some more!

arrowqueen
04-22-2005, 03:38 AM
Yep. I've had contracts sent back (along with rejections!) in mine. Always open them, just in case.

blacbird
04-22-2005, 09:00 AM
Yes. Followed by many rejections to requested material in subsequent SASE's. Wadded up, they make great cat toys.

bird

rich
04-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Arrowqueen, I think the reason you get rejections is because of your typewriter. Do you realize you're limiting yourself by typing on a machine with only twelve keys?

dragonjax
04-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Yes, I've gotten requests this way, although usually requests have been via e-mail.