Question about Louis L'Amour and sequels

chcobb

Ah, another query bites the dust...
Registered
Reaction score
Is there scuttlebutt floating around the literary world as to whether or not the estate of Louis L'Amour has made a categorical and final decision to never consider allowing a sequel of one of LL's novels to be written?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

chcobb

Registered
Reaction score
Still hoping...

Yes, I saw that. I was hoping it was placed there to discourage the countless individuals who must ask about it.

I was hoping that if a credible literary agent or publisher had an excellent work in hand, whether there might be some movement on that.

Oh well...

Thanks for your quick response!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
No, they're serious about it.

They might change their minds in the future (as the Margaret Mitchell Estate did about sequels to Gone With the Wind), but right now the L'Amour Estate isn't going to go there. I'm pretty sure that they've had lots of inquiries already from literary agents and the multi-published writers they represent.

Festus

No limits to imagination
Registered
Reaction score
Hi chcobb,

The only way to use L'Amours work is as a parody, which is what I've done.

Festus

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Louis only died in 1988. (Right after I discovered him! Alas!) His son had some of his previously unpublished work published; check back in another 20 years. :)

But seriously - his work still sells and sells well. You can't blame them for not wanting that diluted.

Write your stories and hold them. Or write your stories and change the names and locations. He had a style all his own so by all means use him as a model - but sequels at this time ....

I don't think that's even a good idea (apart from his estate's point of view) Not to mention it's a ***** cataloging those sequels at work. Half end up under the original author and the other half end up by the new author's last name. <shudders>

Please at least wait til *I'm* dead. LOL. :D

chcobb

Registered
Reaction score
Boo hiss. Okay. Thanks gang, for your wisdom on this. I think I have an outstanding tale (sequel to Last of the Breed) that may have to wait another 20 years to see daylight. I am still sending out queries (nine rejections so far, so I have plenty to go yet), but think I'll start working on my next story in the meantime. . . .

By the way, I have read about some real nasty rejections. I have very limited experience, but I have found all of mine to be firm, but cordial and professional.