PDA

View Full Version : I have to make a hard decision about my dog

Little Red Barn
07-28-2008, 10:04 PM
My dog, Disney in my avatar is 15 and 5 years ago, I knew her health would slowly fail, because we had to stop her annual teeth cleanings due to age and issues of putting her under for such. And as predicted her heart is failing.

My hubby won't put her down, instead I think he's waiting for me to do it. She spends about 80% of her time sleeping, the rest is spent on wheezing, trying to catch her breath and violent sneezes. She doesn't really eat except the treats he gives her.

I have a consult later today with vet--but I know there is nothing left to do medically.

I just don't want my daugh to wake up one morning and find her dead. I don't want to either... :cry:

Angelinity
07-28-2008, 10:08 PM
:cry:

quickWit
07-28-2008, 10:14 PM
So sorry to hear it Kimmi. It's a hard decision, to be sure. My thoughts are with you.

Peace :)

CaroGirl
07-28-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm so sorry you're in that situation, kimmi. It sucks. The wheezing you describe is because your wee doggie has congestive heart failure. I know because it happened to my mum's dog near the end of her life.

You'll make the right decision when you're ready. Hang in there.

Jersey Chick
07-28-2008, 10:20 PM
This is the worst part about pets... I don't have any other advice, but I do have some :Hug2: to send your way.

Little Red Barn
07-28-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm so sorry you're in that situation, kimmi. It sucks. The wheezing you describe is because your wee doggie has congestive heart failure. I know because it happened to my mum's dog near the end of her life.

You'll make the right decision when you're ready. Hang in there.
Do you know if she was in pain? Mine seems miserable. :( I'm miserable. Thank you Angel, JC, QW.

sassandgroove
07-28-2008, 10:27 PM
:(

I don't know what to say but :Hug2:

jennifer75
07-28-2008, 10:27 PM
It's a hard call to make, but I think in this case it is the best thing to do for the dog.

CaroGirl
07-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Do you know if she was in pain? Mine seems miserable. :( I'm miserable. Thank you Angel, JC, QW.
I don't know, hon. Maybe ask the vet.

All the best to you.

Ken
07-28-2008, 10:37 PM
sorry to hear it Kimmi :Hug2:

writerterri
07-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Sometimes it's best to take her in and gather around her and hold her while the vet puts her down. It's a heart wrenching moment but let me tell you a little story.

My uncle just died of pancrease cancer, quick yet sorta slow, very misserable death. A few days before he died he wanted his hospice nurse to give him an overdose of morphine. He tried to talk her into it but she kept making the days happen for him. It's illeagel and all that but he wanted someone to seriously put him out of his misery and could verbalize it but no one could do anything.

You're sweet dog cannot tell you to put her down but you can do something about it. I'm sure if she could tell you she would ask you to be humane.

A hug for you.

SpookyWriter
07-28-2008, 10:56 PM
I don't know what to say, Kimmi. But if you believe Disney is in pain then you'll make the right decision. That's the best you can do. Best wishes and I'll be thinking of you guys.

C.bronco
07-28-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm sorry to hear it. I hope that you are able to work through it with your daughter.

sheadakota
07-28-2008, 11:05 PM
ahh, Kimmi, I am so sorry and I know what you are going through- we had to put our sweet dog, Bear, down last August. he would have been 14 in November. He couldn't breath and the vet told us a tumor on his spleen had ruptured and blood was filling up his abdomen- he was also in congestive heart failure, the choice was basically made for us, we could wait until he literally drown in his own blood, or put him down right then- my husband wasn't with me and the descision needed to be made right then and there- hardest thing I ever did, but I looked in his eyes and knew it was the right thing- I sat with his head in my lap as the vet pushed the drug that stopped his heart- It still hurts and I still miss him horribly, but I know I did the best thing for the best friend I ever had-

My heart goes out to you, hun and to your Disney- I know she will let you know when the time is right-

joyce
07-28-2008, 11:22 PM
:Hug2:So sorry to hear about this Kimmi. I had to be the one to put two of our dogs down because my hubby just couldn't be there. It's hard no matter what, but I didn't want my beloved friends suffering. Ask the vet if he thinks she's in pain and go from there. I really have no advice but my heart goes out to you in this terrible time.

Mel
07-28-2008, 11:23 PM
:Hug2:Kimmi:Hug2:

It is hard, but you love him so will do what's best. He will always be alive in your heart and memories.

Pagey's_Girl
07-28-2008, 11:41 PM
:Hug2: I don't have any advice to add, but here's another hug.

lakotagirl
07-28-2008, 11:41 PM
:Hug2:
Kimmi, my heart goes out to you. We had to put our (almost) 14 yr old black lab to sleep about three weeks ago. I still cry at odd moments.

Like, when I find myself saving the last morsel of food off my dinner plate - only to realize that she's not here to appreciate it.

Or, when I am dusting, and there isn't any fur in with the dust.

Or right now, when I read a post and understand the pain the decision causes you.

I would wake up in the middle of the night hearing my dog struggle. I would jump out of bed and run to find her and help her up - so she could move three feet to a more comfortable spot.

She slept most the time, and when she wasn't sleeping was uncomfortable.

We KNEW it was her time to go. But knowing doesn't ease the pain.

Just know that your loss will get easier to handle. It just takes a little time.

Use your own heart to make the decision.

heyjude
07-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Oh, Kimmi, I'm so sorry. Sadly, I think I will be facing this very decision in the not-too-distant future with my beloved dog.

Disney deserves the best. If she's suffering, that's probably not the best. What a heartbreaking time for you. I'm so sorry. Please keep us posted.

Gravity
07-28-2008, 11:55 PM
As others have said, Kimmi, you'll do the right thing when it's time. And holding your little friend as she passes really is a final bonding moment.

Tell you a quick one: we've always had cats, and each one was precious in their own way. Years ago we had a tabby named Socks, who was a real pistol (in a good way). One day I came home from work to find Socks agonizingly pulling himself along by his front legs. After rushing him to the vet, he found some sick SOB had shot Socks at close range with a pellet gun, right in the spine, severing it. When I asked the vet what Sock's chances were, he very kindly said, "zero." Then he said he could fix that, right now.

A few minutes later I held the little guy as he fell asleep--for the last--in my hands. It hurt, but I'll I'll always hold the memory of Socks nuzzling my thumb and purring softly as he slipped away.

So, Kimmi, as I said, when it comes time...you'll know what to do. Hugs.

TerzaRima
07-29-2008, 12:07 AM
I'm so sorry. I do agree with those who said that when it's time, you'll know--I feared this moment so much with animals I've had in the past, but when the time came it seemed inevitable and right. Think of it as a last act of compassion and love for your friend.

stormie
07-29-2008, 12:18 AM
kimmi, no advice, just hugs. :Hug2:

smoothseas
07-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Ultimately, you have to do what's right for Disney.

Such a pretty girl....

Mela
07-29-2008, 12:59 AM
I had the same problem with my cat, Katie Belle, a year and a half ago. She was dying from kidney failure, but for a month before the vet finally told us that, my husband and I were both in denial. She had dropped maybe 4 pounds, was hardly eating and sleeping alot - near the heater (it was February). And she had long since stopped grooming herself.
She was nearly 16 - I'd had her since she was a kitten. What finally did it for me: I couldn't look at her anymore, knowing that she was suffering.
It is an incredibly tough decision - one you must come to terms with.
Lots of hugs - an adorable animal.

Mela
07-29-2008, 01:00 AM
That must have been horrible, to find your cat in such agony.
What awful people there are in the world.

Shadow_Ferret
07-29-2008, 01:09 AM
Is she in pain? If she's in pain is it fair to not put her down?

I've had to put pets down. It's never easy, but you have to put your own feelings aside and think of what's best for them. Being miserable isn't what's best.

Little Red Barn
07-29-2008, 01:12 AM
Thanks every one.

Just got back, and I didn't have the heart. Disney was shaking so bad, from fright...
I came home with Prednisone for her, instead.

jennifer75
07-29-2008, 01:15 AM
What is that? And is it going to do her any good, or prolong the discomfort?

Just a thought.....would a vet in your area be willing to make a housecall so she can at least be in peace in her own home?

Little Red Barn
07-29-2008, 01:19 AM
What is that? And is it going to do her any good, or prolong the discomfort?

Just a thought.....would a vet in your area be willing to make a housecall so she can at least be in peace in her own home?
He explained it as a steriod type drug. I'll study on it a bit more...

I just saw an article about a lhouse-calling vet...

MsK
07-29-2008, 01:28 AM
:cry: I know Disney must have brought so much joy to your life- this is so sad.
I have no advice, my eyes are watering and I don't even know Disney. Good Luck. You'll know the right thing to do when the time is right. :Hug2:

Don Allen
07-29-2008, 01:45 AM
I don't know if this helps but it was told to me when I had to choose about my baby "Rosie the border collie" who's picture is right in front of me as I type.
In nature the pup would have already passed, unlike human beings who understand and except treatment for our illness' -we know that some day the medicine will run out and we have to die. Dogs and cats don't know, actually they don't understand the suffering. For all of our pets lives, we feed them, bath them, and make sure they are treated with kindness. So, in a way, they can't understand why their masters won't fix, or stop their pain now when their bodies are preparing to fail. Pets can't grasp death, so they can only look to us for the kindness we've given all of their lives and stopping the hurt. With that in mind I put rosie out of her misery as fast as I could knowing that I gave her the last act of love and kindness she so deserved. It's never easy but it's the right thing to do, God Bless.....don....

Fraulein
07-29-2008, 02:08 AM
He explained it as a steroid type drug.Yeah. It's called a corticosteriod.

In humans, it can be prescribed for a wide range of problems like asthma, allergic reactions, hormone deficiency, and to boost the immune system.

Follow the directions very carefully, and don't discontinue it without speaking with the vet first.

I hope that you are ok and that everything works out for the best. :Hug2:

Susie
07-29-2008, 09:28 AM
kimmi, we're sooooo sorry. Howie and I feel for you and know our thoughts & prayers are with you and your family. We know also you'll do the right thing. :Hug2: Sending good vibes to you all.

Yeshanu
07-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Just adding my hugs to the rest, Kimmi.

CBumpkin
07-29-2008, 10:04 AM
:Hug2::cry::heart::(:e2cry::e2bummed:
I'm so sorry, Kimmi. I know how difficult this decision is.
I was a wreck after our dog died on Easter morning.

Albedo
07-29-2008, 10:14 AM
If you decide to put her down, be there for her. Some people don't want to watch and that's understandable, but it's infinitely better to be with her than let her end her life on a cold examination table alone. Touch her, pat her head, talk to her. Close your eyes if you need to.

Forbidden Snowflake
07-29-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm sorry :Hug2:

Angelinity
07-29-2008, 12:22 PM
kimmi, this is so hard! i have thought about this since you posted. it's difficult for me to be objective, because probably the worst experience i've had in the last 20 years has to do with the death of two beloved pet dogs. one was my own, whose untimely death i caused directly and single-handedly by giving him just one pill of Artemisinin. the two days that followed before he finally died have changed me forever and probably sliced off at least 10 years off my life -- which i believe i deserved.

two weeks later, a sweet creature i had been pet-sitting was put to sleep by her owners. her spreading cancer is what had determined me to search for a cure and hence found the Artemisinin that killed my own baby.

i'm only saying this because i think you should let things run their course. i think Disney will treasure your being there until her natural deadline is up. it is hard, i understand, but if you have her put down, you may always feel guilty about it and question whether you did the right thing....

hugs to you and Disney.

sadron
07-29-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm sorry for your dog and I know how you feel. We have dogs too. I've been through many put sleeps. Our oldest dog was 14 years old and her health failed too. My thoughts are with you. *hugs*

Honestly, I think Disney should put in sleep if feeling painful. It's harsh to watch her in pain. Putting in sleep maybe the best for the dog. I know I'm maybe harsh but I have faced it. Think the best of dog. Don't let it suffer more.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
07-29-2008, 03:14 PM
The greatest gift we can give them, kimmi, is the hardest one of all to bear.

:e2grouphu

KTC
07-29-2008, 03:22 PM
I agree with Ol' Fashioned Girl, Kimmi. I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I agree with OFG, but I don't know if I could give my baby that gift. I hope I'm strong enough when the time comes. I want to hold onto her forever.

From what you described in your first post, I feel your baby is no longer living for herself... but for those who are afraid to let her go. I do hope she does well on the prednisone.

lakotagirl
07-29-2008, 05:08 PM
The prednisone may help her a bit. We had our lab on it for quite awhile. In your research you will find that, while it may help her problem, it may cause other problems. But, for us, it was worth it to keep her comfortable and with us for longer.

Good for you for trying something different. Just know, in your heart, that you will make the right decision when the time comes to make it.

Good luck! Love her while you have her!

Little Red Barn
07-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks all. :hugs:

Actually this prednisone seems to be quite a drug. Disney is alert and more than usual this morn. She seems comfortable as well. And all 3 1/2 lbs of her went after and and attacked the 18lb cat for trying to get into her bed. : )

I know the drug is a mask, but I'd like to see if it makes a significant difference. She was actually wagging her tail this morn; something I haven't seen in a long time...

Gehanna
07-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Hope :)

Hope is a good thing! It made me happy to read your post just now. I'll keep my fingers crossed for continued healing although it may take me longer than usual to type. :D

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Haggis
07-29-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm so sorry, kimmi.

Little Red Barn
07-29-2008, 08:10 PM
As you can see, she is having a good day; found her a sunlight beam to rest. Yah!!http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj94/kimmi57/Disney/Farm017.jpg

Susie
07-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Sure hope she keeps having good days, kimmi. (((((((((HUGS))))))))).

MsK
07-29-2008, 08:20 PM
I just have to repeat it again- my heart goes out to you. She is a little angel lying there in the son. So precious.

sadron
07-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Is someone having grudge on me for my post? *looks around*

Little Red Barn
07-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Is someone having grudge on me for my post? *looks around*
:Hug2: Nooo! And thanks for your post.

sadron
07-29-2008, 08:28 PM
:Hug2: Nooo! And thanks for your post.

Oh I thought the last rep point I got was something about it...

Fraulein
07-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Kimmi, Hopefully you can take this one day at a time and stay strong all the while.

The hope that a lot of people have, in my opinion, comes from the help that modern medicine can offer. Otherwise, there would be more heartache associated with illness than there already is.
Who cares if this treatment is a mask if it is the right mask at the right time. Perhaps you two needed to bond a little bit more than either of you had realized...

My heart goes out to both of you. :heart:

CaroGirl
07-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Now's the time for you to prepare yourself for the inevitable. We know when we bring animals into our lives that we will outlive them. As difficult as that is, however, the time we get to spend with our animals, for me at least, outweighs the heartache of losing them.

My wee doggies turned 13 this year. I'm not naive. I understand they'll pass on, maybe even this year. We had a scare with Chloe earlier this year and I'm glad I have this time to ready myself and my children for their passing.

My heart goes out to you and your sweet wee doggie. Disney's a lovely girl. All the best.

Soccer Mom
07-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Kimmi, I'm right there with you. My oldest dog is 15 and getting quite senile. Soon it will be time. Start mentally preparing yourself. yes, the prednisone is just a mask and won't work for very long. Make sure that your choices are for her and not you.

Hugs, strength and courage, sweetie!

jannawrites
07-30-2008, 12:38 AM
As you can see, she is having a good day; found her a sunlight beam to rest. Yah!!http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj94/kimmi57/Disney/Farm017.jpg

This is a wonderful picture! I hope she's still doing well this afternoon. :Hug2:

Prednisone is an amazing drug that can make life so much more bearable. My dad uses it, along with other meds, to control symptoms of his multiple sclerosis. That it can help Disney, too, is awesome.

Inkdaub
07-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Disney looks like she's making the best of it in the sun beam. I'll send some good vibes to her and you as well.

EriRae
07-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Kimmi, the best of luck to you with the difficult days ahead. Enjoy the time you have left with Disney (love the pics, btw :) ). You'll make the best decision when the time is right. *HUGS*

Little Red Barn
07-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks all. Disney is doing GREAT on meds. We'll leave her with the senior couple who have watched her since she was six weeks old, as I have to go out of town. She's more clear and alert and I swear she was totally deaf, but now seems be able to hear some sounds???? Weird, huh?

jennifer75
07-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Gotta love them 'roids... ;) Glad she's on the up and up.

Yeshanu
07-31-2008, 08:53 AM
Gotta love them 'roids...

Hmm. Maybe I could use some of them there 'roids... :tongue

Loved the pic, Kimmi.

Little Red Barn
07-31-2008, 05:47 PM
Hmm. Maybe I could use some of them there 'roids... :tongue

Loved the pic, Kimmi.
hah, me too! She continues to do well, but I am a little worried about leaving her.

Little Red Barn
01-24-2009, 03:35 AM
Lost my baby, Disney, today. She indeed gave me more than I could ever give her.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj94/kimmi57/knjmojpio220.jpg

writerterri
01-24-2009, 03:39 AM
I'm so sorry kimmi.

TerzaRima
01-24-2009, 03:45 AM
I'm so sorry about Disney.

Jersey Chick
01-24-2009, 03:48 AM
mega-:Hug2:

I'm so sorry...

P.H.Delarran
01-24-2009, 03:54 AM
so sorry!

sheadakota
01-24-2009, 03:54 AM
:Hug2:No words, hun:(, just hugs and understanding

CaroGirl
01-24-2009, 03:55 AM
Sorry to hear that kimmi. RIP Disney, you were lovely girl.

Shadow_Ferret
01-24-2009, 03:55 AM
*hugs*

Here's a poem by Kipling. Hope it helps.

A DOG FOR JESUS
I wish someone had given Jesus a dog
As loyal and loving as mine
To sleep by His manger and gaze in His eyes
And adore Him for being divine.

As our Lord grew to manhood His faithful dog
Would have followed Him all through the day
While He preached to the crowds and made the sick well
And knelt in the garden to pray.

It is sad to remember that Christ went away
To face death alone and apart
With no tender dog following close behind
To comfort its Master's Heart.

And when Jesus rose on that Easter morn
How happy He would have been
As His dog kissed His hands and barked its delight
For The One who died for all men.

Well, the Lord has a dog now, I just sent Him mine
The old pal so dear to me
And I smile through my tears on this first day alone
Knowing they're in eternity.

Day after day, the whole day through
Wherever my road inclined
Four feet said, "I am coming with you!"
And trotted along behind.

Written By: Rudyard Kipling

Little Red Barn
01-24-2009, 03:57 AM
*hugs*

Here's a poem by Kipling. Hope it helps.

A DOG FOR JESUS
I wish someone had given Jesus a dog
As loyal and loving as mine
To sleep by His manger and gaze in His eyes
And adore Him for being divine.

As our Lord grew to manhood His faithful dog
Would have followed Him all through the day
While He preached to the crowds and made the sick well
And knelt in the garden to pray.

It is sad to remember that Christ went away
To face death alone and apart
With no tender dog following close behind
To comfort its Master's Heart.

And when Jesus rose on that Easter morn
How happy He would have been
As His dog kissed His hands and barked its delight
For The One who died for all men.

Well, the Lord has a dog now, I just sent Him mine
The old pal so dear to me
And I smile through my tears on this first day alone
Knowing they're in eternity.

Day after day, the whole day through
Wherever my road inclined
Four feet said, "I am coming with you!"
And trotted along behind.

Written By: Rudyard Kipling
thats so beautiful. :cry:

TerzaRima
01-24-2009, 04:01 AM
IF A DOG BE WELL REMEMBERED

(written by Ben Hur Lampman & published in the Sept. 11, 1925 issue of the Portland Oregonian)

We are thinking now of a dog, whose coat was flame in the sunshine and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This dog is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry strews petals on the lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree or an apple or any flowering shrub of the garden is an excellent place to bury a good dog. Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer or gnawed at a flavorous bone or lifted head to challenge some strange intruder. These are good places, in life or in death.

Yet it is small matter. For if a dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where the dog sleeps. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked and the trees roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pastureland where most exhilarating cattle graze. It is all one to the dog, and all one to you, and nothing is gained and nothing is lost -- if memory lives.

But there is one best place to bury a dog. If you bury him in this spot, he will come to you when you call -- come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they shall not growl at him, nor resent his coming, for he belongs there. People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth knowing.

The one best place to bury a dog is in the heart of his master.

MoonWriter
01-24-2009, 04:05 AM
I'm sorry to read about your loss, kimmi. My thoughts are with you.

John Paton
01-24-2009, 04:20 AM
So sorry to hear of your sad loss.

Take care, she is in a good place now and knows she was so loved.

Pagey's_Girl
01-24-2009, 04:22 AM
(((hugs))) I'm so sorry. :(

"Mayfly, life is short but sweet, yet today we had a chance to meet,
Should I forget or should I fail, I was once in the company of an angel."

It's from the same song in my sig. Great song.

kristie911
01-24-2009, 04:31 AM
I am so sorry for your loss, Kimmi.

M.R.J. Le Blanc
01-24-2009, 04:45 AM
I'm getting all teary-eyed here. So sorry for your loss Kimmi.

You know, I remember this story about this little four-year-old boy whose dog had to be put down and his mother was trying to figure out how to tell him. I don't remember the specifics, but I do remember the boy saying that dogs already know how to love unconditionally so they don't need to stay on earth as long as we do. I think that's very true, and maybe if people learned this from their dogs and cats we'd all be a little happier. Daisy is always going to be around you hun, even though you can't physically see her. And she's happy now. It's always going to hurt a little no matter how much time passes, but Daisy's always going to be with you.

smoothseas
01-24-2009, 04:46 AM
The Rainbow Bridge
(based on an old Norse Legend)

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross overů together.

sympathies

Kateri
01-24-2009, 04:47 AM
Kimmi, that is such a hard decision. Because you love her you will be guided to make the right choice for her. The decision making is so hard but once you decide it will be in her, and your family's, best interests. Your decision can't be wrong because it comes from love and concern.

How lucky you are to have her with you for 15 years. She is so much a part of your family. I feel pets and their passing teach children about death and loss. Your daughter will accept the explanation you give her because she knows you care so much.

We had to turn off life support for my Aunt recently and I stayed with my best friend until the second she passed. Beneath the sadness is the privilege of having known and loved them and the realisation that they are no longer burdened by their unhealthy body.

Love and prayers to you.

TheIT
01-24-2009, 04:49 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss, kimmi. ((hugs))

Kateri
01-24-2009, 04:53 AM
So sorry to hear about your beloved Disney, Kimmi. Love to you and your family. You are all different because she loved you and you loved her. Our animals love us unconditionally and deserve the best. She sounds like she had a wonderful life. xx00

The Lady
01-24-2009, 04:55 AM
She was a beautiful girl. So sorry to hear about your loss.

rugcat
01-24-2009, 04:57 AM
I know it's hard. Dogs are special, and so short lived compared with our own. But the joy they give is worth it, and the joy will be remembered longer than the sorrow.

Much love and condolences.

Susie
01-24-2009, 05:02 AM
((((((((HUGS)))))))) We're so sorry for your loss, kimmi. Prayers are with you and yours.

jannawrites
01-24-2009, 05:13 AM
I'm so sorry about this, Kimmi. :Hug2:

Chumplet
01-24-2009, 05:26 AM
Here's a hug, Kimmi. You had a few extra months with Disney. It was like a gift. Chester is getting on these days. Still too pretty to be a boy but he's starting to stiffen up a bit. You can't tell he's old because his snout was always white.

Do you have other dogs? My sister and her partner often foster dogs temporarily to help deal with the loss of a pet. They've gone through this at least twice in the past several years.

Little Red Barn
01-24-2009, 05:52 AM
I'm getting all teary-eyed here. So sorry for your loss Kimmi.

...but I do remember the boy saying that dogs already know how to love unconditionally.

Exactly, exactly. And as the vet was putting her down today, she continued to lick hand until she was finally gone... amazing. Still trying to give love.

Thank you all for the sweet poems and heartwarming thoughts. It was most appreciated.

Haggis
01-24-2009, 07:11 AM
It's always hard, Kimmi. Our rational mind says we're doing the right thing, but the emotional one just doesn't understand. It can't. But we are.

Disney doesn't have to suffer any more, and, over time, the good memories will take over the sad ones. But there will always be memories. And that's a good thing.

Beach Bunny
01-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Lost my baby, Disney, today. She indeed gave me more than I could ever give her.

:Hug2: I'm sorry for your loss.

The decision to euthanize is never an easy one to make, even when you know that you are making the right decision. She's in a better place now and will always live on in your heart. :Hug2:

MsK
01-24-2009, 07:31 AM
I was crying when I originally posted and I just had to edit and say, I'm so sorry for your loss. *hugs*

DaddyCat
01-24-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm so sorry, Kimmi. I know how you feel, I had to make that decision for my little guy Neko (see avatar) just over a month ago. Try to take some comfort in knowing that you gave Disney a good home and lots of love in her time. Disney knows it too.

regdog
01-24-2009, 04:09 PM
So sorry for your loss :Hug2:

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Oh, kimmi! I'm so sorry.

Grrarrgh
01-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Kimmi, I'm so sorry. :Hug2:

Little Red Barn
01-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Thank you again for all your kind words and reps, most appreciated.

oneblindmouse
01-25-2009, 11:24 PM
:Hug2: So sorry to hear of your loss, Kimmi.