Authors buying books from publishers

hastingspress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hastingspress.co.uk
I've published a book at my own expense, giving the author 10% of the cover price (79.9p from a £7.99 book) for every book sold.

My question is, the author wants to buy copies from me, how much should I charge him?

Helena

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Trade publishers in the US generally give authors the same discount that they give bookstores.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I see. In my case I give some shops 30%, others 35% and the wholesaler get 50%. What should the author get?

30% should be fine. 35% if you want to be generous. I don't think it's at all usual for authors to get the wholesalers' price unless they order massive quantities (like an executive ordering hundreds or thousands of copies for everyone who works at the corporation they head).

hastingspress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hastingspress.co.uk
How would they know if you were re-selling, unless you tell them?

My author only buys a handful at a time, and I used to charge him just the cost of printing, but I am a bit disappointed that he gives them away to people he meets, people who might have bought the book, so he is losing me sales.

I'm going to give him 35%.

Thanks everyone

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
For example if it's for book festivals or book clubs - It's a service to provide books and there are times you need to have them available- I sell them for what I pay for them and don't worry about any profit -
I'm honest with my publisher. For example they often give better deals to schools because they aren't for resale...