I need some cheering up

Status
Not open for further replies.

thistle

Hipster Doofus
Registered
Reaction score
I left my teaching job a few months ago because of a back injury. I don't miss it much, except that I advised the school newspaper and I miss my editors a lot.

They miss me, too. Today the students had an early release and my boys came to my house (thank god it was half-way clean) to give me a surprise guilt trip and eat my food.

I'm glad that they came to joke around with me and tell me they miss me...but I'm sad that I'm no longer their adviser. They ate my chips, drank my soda, and left me with a big hole in my heart.

I've been making lemonade with the freelancing thing, but there's times, like today, I'm not sure I've made the right decision. Well, I didn't really have a choice...

Cheer me up? (I promise, I'm not always so glum...)

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
thistle said:
Cheer me up? (I promise, I'm not always so glum...)
Listen thistle, Everything in life happens for a reason. Memories are to be cherished, not brought out for regrets. Keep feeding those kids and they will keep coming back. At some point you will find yourself giving them the boot:D It's empty nest syndrome and it does go away. I am in this house 24/7 so I use this board and these people as my friends. (rather they want me too or not!) Just hang in their. Keep yourself busy and remember that when one door closes, another one will always open. Now, have a brownie and a nice cup of herbal tea and enjoy the journey.:Coffee:

Murman

Registered
Reaction score
Thistle, it's perfectly healthy for you to be feeling like this. You have great memories, formed friendships, straightened out a few kids....why the guilt trip? The students are still perfectly able to progress, right? Your bonds with them aren't dead yet. So kerb that attitude!
There comes a point when after all is said and done, you need to pull yourself together and think about what you want. What you really want. Where do you want to go from here? Find the answer to that and pursue it - you have time to do it. Don't take yourself so seriously....!
Now go and dust off your PJs and snuggle up to a movie or something.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's nice that those kids came to visit you. It's a very good thing that they miss you; it means that you had an effect on them and mean something to them. I would feel proud about that.

You always have us, the writers here at AW to talk to. I don't have any co-workers, haven't for a few years since I've been freelancing, so sometimes I miss having adults to talk to during the day. (or anyone, whatever age) The people I "talk to" online make me laugh and make me feel as if I'm really talking to people.

Maybe your students can come visit you again.

Here's a hug in the meantime. :Hug2:

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Seems to me you still are the advisor only you don't know it....yet.

Why not consider supplementing your "lemonade" with editing/advisory assistance for students from your home and/or a website?

I wish I had help from someone such as you back in my high school and college days with all those term papers and etc. The services would have been well worth the cost that's for sure.

Anyway, it's just a thought.

God Bless,
Gehanna

thistle

Hipster Doofus
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, for the lift. You're right. I should look back at that time with joy, not remorse.

And, hey. I really enjoy my morning commute (coffee pot to desk). I am still their adviser--they still e-mail and call. You're right. I'm priveleged to have been a part of their lives and happy to know that they still see me as a part of it.

Ah. Better. Thanks. You guys are terrific. :)

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
rhymegirl said:
I think it's nice that those kids came to visit you. It's a very good thing that they miss you; it means that you had an effect on them and mean something to them. I would feel proud about that.

Here's a hug in the meantime. :Hug2:

Ditto to that!

You have obviously made an important impact on these boys. You are in their hearts, as they are yours.

It's only been three months. I think what you're feeling is normal. You're still getting used to the change. Years back, I gave up a whole life style and friends that went along with it and moved away. It's very difficult letting go of all the people I met through the years. That's not saying for you to let go of the relationship with these boys. But you just gotta' think of all the new, positive things that are ahead of you.

We never know if the choices we make are going to be for the best, but things always work out in the end.

You hang in there! :Sun: Things will be fine. You'll see....;)

celeste

Last edited:

wurdwise

Banned
Reaction score
I've been down lately too, but this place makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!

10021247.jpg

bjewel77

Arkie Dreamer & Gardener
Registered
Reaction score
How many teachers have ever had students come to see them??? I'd feel really honored if kids did that to me! They obviously love and respect you.

I get down in the dumps too. Especially when I spend so much time worrying about the bills instead of trying to write. I'm glad we have this board to talk to others, and to escape for a while. Hang in there, Thistle!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I was kind of in a funk this morning as well... but all is well now. Just needed a long drive with the top down and a pinch of reality: I'm alive and breathing! Life is good.

Hug(640).jpg

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Two school teachers walk into a bar...stop me if you've heard this one... :)

Seriously, I can emphatize with your situation. There's not much anyone can really say to cheer us up in times like this. Just remember....the things in life that most resemble trials, often turn out to be opportunities.
(((hugs)))

thistle

Hipster Doofus
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Looking at your posts reminds me why I'm so lucky to have joined this group.

You have really cheered me up considerably. I e-mailed the boys, thanked them for their visit, told them I'd help them any way I could, and invited them to come anytime. (Now, watch: they'll show up for dinner tomorrow night! :D)

I really am fortunate, aren't I? I've always wanted to do freelance writing; now I have the time and no excuses! How lucky is that?

Thanks, again!

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Just in case you still need some cheering up

:Lecture: Important information for the woman who stay home! Please feel free to use this if needed in an emergency! Memory McDermott

One day a man comes home from work to find total mayhem at home. The kids were outside still in their pajamas playing in the mud and muck. There were empty food boxes and wrappers all around. As he proceeded into the house, he found an even bigger mess. Dishes on the counter, dog food spilled on the floor, a broken glass under the table, and a small pile of sand by the back door. The family room was strewn with toys and various items of clothing, and a lamp had been knocked over. He headed up the stairs, stepping over toys, to look for his wife. He was becoming worried that she may be ill, or that something had happened to her.
He found her in the bedroom, still in bed with her pajamas on, reading a book. She looked up at him, smiled, and asked how his day went. He looked at her bewildered and asked, "What happened here today?"
She again smiled and answered, "You know everyday when you come home from work and ask me what I did today?"
"Yes," was his reply."
She answered, "Well, today I didn't do it!"

Last edited:

thistle

Hipster Doofus
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, T42, and everyone for the smiles, hugs, and kind words. I went to bed happy last night because of the nice things you all wrote. :)

Today has been one of the most productive writing days I've had. I have a renewed sense of purpose!

My new motto is: a bad day of writing is better than a good day at work! :)

Thanks again!

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
T42 said:
:Lecture: Important information for the woman who stay home! Please feel free to use this if needed in an emergency! Memory McDermott

One day a man comes home from work to find total mayhem at home. The kids were outside still in their pajamas playing in the mud and muck. There were empty food boxes and wrappers all around. As he proceeded into the house, he found an even bigger mess. Dishes on the counter, dog food spilled on the floor, a broken glass under the table, and a small pile of sand by the back door. The family room was strewn with toys and various items of clothing, and a lamp had been knocked over. He headed up the stairs, stepping over toys, to look for his wife. He was becoming worried that she may be ill, or that something had happened to her.
He found her in the bedroom, still in bed with her pajamas on, reading a book. She looked up at him, smiled, and asked how his day went. He looked at her bewildered and asked, "What happened here today?"
She again smiled and answered, "You know everyday when you come home from work and ask me what I did today?"
"Yes," was his reply."
She answered, "Well, today I didn't do it!"

Ha-ha-ha! That is great! I love it! :Clap:

My new motto is: a bad day of writing is better than a good day at work! :)

There ya' go! That's the spirit! :Thumbs:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
thistle said:
Today has been one of the most productive writing days I've had. I have a renewed sense of purpose!

:hooray: That's great to hear!

Status
Not open for further replies.