Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Hello,

I am looking for at least two deaf and blind people to interview for a newspaper article. This newspaper is for the deaf community and the deaf and blind readership, as well.

My article concerns the feature used on web sites and Web-based E-mail services that request you type in the letters/numbers in a box that has them appearing all warped. They offer an option to visually-impaired people to listen to what letters/numbers are in the box. However, for someone who is deaf AND blind, this option wouldn't go over too well. I contacted one Web-based E-mail service (since my vision isn't all that great to start with!) and they were indifferent about the problem.

What I want to know is: How have you, the deaf and blind person, resolved this problem? Have you complained? If so, what kind of feedback did you receive? What do you think would be a better solution that can be used by E-mail services and Web sites, since they are doing this to guard against spam?

Contact Dawn directly at [email protected] by May 5th with your contact info if you'd like to be interviewed. Thanks!

--Dawn Colclasure

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ok, it's hard to word this without it sounding flippant or just generally mocking, but I'm curious...

Exactly how does a deaf and blind person use the internet at all?

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
three seven said:
Ok, it's hard to word this without it sounding flippant or just generally mocking, but I'm curious...

It's been a while since I've seen it done, so I couldn't really tell you much other than to say that it can be done. (I have a degree in counseling services for the deaf; had to work with some deaf/blind people in my internship.)

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
three seven said:

One of my many previous jobs was as a relay operator for the deaf community. We had a few blind folks working there. I suspect someone who is deaf and blind uses the internet much the same way a blind person does.

They use a braille internet access device like this:

http://www.sighted.com/english/elba2003.html or one of the many keyboard add-ons.

Status
Not open for further replies.