PDA

View Full Version : Any feedback about yourpubsite.com?

nccreative
07-27-2008, 09:33 PM
www.yourpubsite.com (http://www.yourpubsite.com)

veinglory
07-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Well, they charge money to create and host a website. The hosting is expensive even before you consider it does not include email or traffic tracking. The website does not include store software and purchase handling of any kind. They don't provide any examples of people using their service so they quality of the pages themselves is impossible to judge. I am not impressed.

benbradley
07-27-2008, 11:11 PM
Initial Set Up Fee: $495 set-up fee
Annual Hosting: $140/year hosting
Yeah, what Veinglory said. You can get your own domain and hosting for a lot less. There are several threads in the blogging forum about getting a good-looking site up.
I poked around the site for a few seconds (literally!) and found this:

Q: Can I have my own web address/URL?

Yes. This is critical feature of our service.
Proofreading, however, is not "critical feature."

Then they suggest godaddy.com for a domain name. I have nothing against godaddy, but if they were the "full service" website service they claim to be, they'd be a domain reseller and include a domain in their fees (which at their prices they could easily do). I hope they're not reading this thread...

Reading the rest of that page, it's clear this site is aimed at people who don't know the first thing about websites, and it looks to NOT be the "hold-your-hand" service that it might first appear to be. You can "add as many pages as you want" but there's nothing about megabytes of storage or bandwidth (the actual measure of a website size). And why are mp3's limited to two megabytes (two minutes at the common 128k encoding rate)? Because they can, that's why...

nccreative
07-28-2008, 02:08 AM
A Canadian friend asked about that site, and I'd never heard of it before. At a glance, I didn't see anything worth what they seemed to be offering, but thought I might be missing something. Wouldn't be the first time. ;)

Thank you for the specific feedback.