September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
Hey everyone!

First -- Hello. It's been a while since I've hung around but great to see that you are all still around. I've missed you guys!

I rarely have time for anything anymore but tonight, I decided to just make the time.

Now...to my question... an angel has suddenly appeared in my hometown and people are flocking to see it. It appears at night. Last night I went to see for myself and found a couple hundred people there - so I quickly called my editor and decided to turn it into a story - it will run Monday.

I know people have always talked about the Virgin Mary sightings, etc., but I had never known of any personally.

This image - it gives you goosebumps. I'm not saying it is or is not a sign from God or anything. As far as I could tell, it's not a "light reflection" - it has a halo and everything. I have the photo I took. I need to make it smaller and then I'll return to post it.

But in the meantime, just curious - what do you think of these kinds of sightings? Have any of you ever experienced any first hand?

Thanks - and it really is great to be able to come back in and read and post.

S.S.
I'll have a full story in Monday's paper but in the meantime, I wrote it up as a quick brief.
http://www.recorderonline.com/news/angel_37177___article.html/appears_video.html#slComments

Last edited:

Beyondian

musker vyusher
Registered
Reaction score
I believe in angels. I'm a little skeptical of this kind of sighting, however. You see, the Bible only ever describes angels as bright beings, no indication of a halo - or gender - or even wings.
However, God is full of mysteries. I couldn't possibly say 'this is real' or 'this is not real' in such matter, especially without seeing it. :D

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
I still need to see the picture, but whatever this thing is, it's certainly not an angel.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
i'd have to see and investigate first hand. people tend to project their beliefs and perceptions onto a thing or event -- i can accept that some people see an 'angel', but what is it, really?

ETA: had a look at your blog. in a window... i say prank.

Last edited:

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic, Sep. That only vaguely looks like an angel. Just like I thought; one must always dismiss the irrational.

Last edited:

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.estheravila.com
I am far more interested in the reaction from people - the comments they make and what they do.
I, personally, don't believe it is an angel, but it still gave me goosebumps to see it firsthand. I have no idea what is causing it. It occasionally moves too. One lady caught it on video and suddenly an eye appeared - it opened and closed. She showed it to me. Though, I explain that by moving slightly. You can make the vision appear and disappear by moving around. (only visible from across the street - when I went up to the window - the image disappears)
It is attracting catholics and protestants - that's interesting to me.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.estheravila.com
ETA: had a look at your blog. in a window... i say prank.

I thought so too until I went to see it. I can't explain it but I know there must be an explanation. It's not a prank, it's not a spotlight.... it's just weird.
The photo does not give it justice. You almost have to be there to understand what I mean.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
it is interesting, i'm also fascinated with such occurrences and people's perceptions of them. thank you for posting this.

what prompted my comment that it's a prank were the well-defined edges. if it were a 'plasma' apparition, the edges would fade out, the image would tend to morph and hover.

i'm assuming there was very little light when you took the picture, so it would have been a longer exposure. in this case, the image should not be this clear.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, SS, so glad to 'see' you. I believe in angels and often think when people see visions of angels and many people gather, the amazing thing isn't so much as the vision itself, but that people can all be as one, believe in the higher power and feel peaceful and serene. Just my take on it. Whatever it is, it gives folks a great feeling and that's what counts.

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
I am far more interested in the reaction from people - the comments they make and what they do.
I, personally, don't believe it is an angel, but it still gave me goosebumps to see it firsthand. I have no idea what is causing it. It occasionally moves too. One lady caught it on video and suddenly an eye appeared - it opened and closed. She showed it to me. Though, I explain that by moving slightly. You can make the vision appear and disappear by moving around. (only visible from across the street - when I went up to the window - the image disappears)
It is attracting catholics and protestants - that's interesting to me.

It's most likely a trick of light. And goosebumps would mean you were in an altered state of perception, which would imply a (slightly) biased interpretation of the phenomenon.

Last edited:

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.estheravila.com
i'm assuming there was very little light when you took the picture, so it would have been a longer exposure. in this case, the image should not be this clear.

This was shot at a high speed 3200 iso to allow all light to come in.
I have a pentax digital SLR.
It was 9:45 p.m. and I shot it from across the street - approximately 100 yards away.
The image appears and disappears, depending on where you stand.
I wish I could turn off the street lights - but if it were them, why hadn't it appeared before. Or maybe it has and no one had noticed it.
I'm making some more calls and will let post what I discover.
I'm interested to see what the Catholic church has to say about it.

I was surprised at how many people feel it is a sign from God. Of course, I was only there to report on it - not to say if it was or wasn't.

Either way, it's just interesting to me. Kind of a novelty type of story.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
There was one of these not far from me at a beach in Sydney once. Due to an interplay of light and shadow caused by a teetering fence meeting a wall, at a certain time of the afternoon an "apparition" appeared if you stood in the right place, which happened to be the door of a laundromat across the road. There was a short-lived pilgrimmage to the shop until the flustered owner banned people from standing in his shop door and the religious enthusiasm kind of petered out.

I went and had a look. If you got up close it was immediately obvious which elements of the fence were causing the optical illusion of a robed woman (who says it has to be Mary? Those Jesus bagels usually look more like Che to me...)

I don't believe in angels, or the virgin Mary.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.estheravila.com
Hey Susie Q : great to see you too!

ErylRavenwell : I'm thinking some kind of light thing too - just can't figure out why. As to the goosebumps, it was not so much from believing it was an angel but from being there among so many people - with all of them telling me their stories.

LOL - my mom (devout protestant) refused to go see it. She said it's from the devil.

I told her I didnt' believe it was either from God nor Satan (he doesn't have that much power). She asked me if it was the street lights. I said I didn't believe so.

Honestly, I have no idea what it is. But I know this -- it's a great little story for a little town...and I get to write it!

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.estheravila.com
I want to see if it's still there after the shop gets its window cleaned.

I thought it might be the residue from a Christmas angel painting (many businesses get their windows painted at Christmas - I figured it was something like that at first)

The man from the shop said they had their windows totally cleaned and still...

but it's not a stationary image. you see it different depending on where you stand....and you can't see it at all from some places....which made me believe it was some sort of light trick.....and yet, I can't find the light source for it.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
The interior of the shop appears to be lit, so it's probably light refracting through the glass. If the windows are clean there's probably some impurity or warping in the glass causing the angel shape to appear if you stand in the right spot. If people want to see that as a divine sign I'm fine with that. To me it just means cheap glass. ;)

sadron

Writing Dark Fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
I believe in Angels, but to see one is different thing. I think they are bright beings.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I have met several angels on my time here, but they have not been of any particurlar form. They have been shelled just like my physical, and I knew they were angels as my intuitive ability knew enough to acknowledge their existence. :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I believe in angels, too... the kind who are all around us, every day, and do the least expected things when we least expect things to be done... who turn out to be everyday people who save our lives or help us when we need it most.

You know the ones. When you look in the mirror, they look just like... you. :)

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
I have always believed in the presence of angels. I have quite a thing for them.

Whether or not the one in the article is "real" is immaterial to me. I just love it, either way.

Reilly616

Registered
Reaction score
Angels don't exist. Take a photo and post it here, I'll tell you what it is.

Fraulein

Spooks? Where are you?...
Registered
Reaction score
If I were to tell you, then that would be cheating
No. I don't believe in them. In fact, I don't believe in very much. If I were to follow any type of theological construct, it would be deism.

Andy Dick did a spoof about evangelists and angels if anyone wants to watch it. I thought it was really funny in a satirical kind of way.

Last edited:

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.estheravila.com
video

Here's an 8 minute video about the angel sighting in Porterville. It was picked up by our local news.
The store owners said they have rearranged things inside thinking it was some kind of light reflection, but the image continues.
One lady I spoke with said the angel has been there for a year, but only recently has become obvious.

ABC30 NEWS:"Heavenly Sighting in Porterville"