Status
Not open for further replies.

Salem

query-impaired
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
(These are probably silly questions but I don't want to come across too amatuerish to the publishers!).

1. When submitting my manuscript, should I seal the sticky part of the envelope, latch the little metal fastening thingy, or just put a piece of tape in the center?

2. When I turn the envelope sideways to write the address, should the end with the opening be on the left or right, or does that matter?

3. If the submission instructions do not say anything specific, should I paperclip the pages or just leave them loose.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Hobbes

Sneaky. In a good way.
Registered
Reaction score
Salem!! What's happening?

To #1 I say seal it up! It's your work, why risk it? They have letter openers - or assistants. :)

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Salem, if these are the types of things you're worrying about, you need to take a deep breath and let it go. You're complicating things needlessly and looking for things to obsess over. Don't. Just submit the thing.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(These are probably silly questions but I don't want to come across too amatuerish to the publishers!).

1. When submitting my manuscript, should I seal the sticky part of the envelope, latch the little metal fastening thingy, or just put a piece of tape in the center?

2. When I turn the envelope sideways to write the address, should the end with the opening be on the left or right, or does that matter?

3. If the submission instructions do not say anything specific, should I paperclip the pages or just leave them loose.

Thanks! :)
1. Absolutely doesn't matter. In most offices, your envelope will be slit at the end, a letter opener or other cutting device slid into the small opening between the gummed portion of the flap and the end of the envelope, without disturbing the flap. Don't tape over the small opening. It ticks the mail handler off.

2. Absolutely doesn't matter. Most people are right-handed and will be holding the opening device in the right hand, so I tend to put the flap to the right. If I do it the other way, I still send it in as-is.

3. Absolutely doesn't matter. Just don't bind or staple the pages. If they want 'em loose and you've paper clipped, it's easily remedied. If they want paper clips and your pages are loose, easily remedied.

Maryn, with many years of office work under her belt

Salem

query-impaired
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Salem, if these are the types of things you're worrying about, you need to take a deep breath and let it go. You're complicating things needlessly and looking for things to obsess over. Don't. Just submit the thing.

LOL! I'm SO not the type of person to obsess about anything!

Actually, there's a very good reason I'm asking these questions. When I was acting, I met several casting directors and agents, and they all agreed that if any headshots were ever in sealed envelopes, they wouldn't bother to open them because it was too much of a hassle! They would just chuck them in the trash! They were also very picky about how the headshot was attached to the resume. I am new to writing and I wasn't sure if literary agents and publishers were equally as finicky.

Status
Not open for further replies.