MS Word cock-ups (naughty word included)

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
Have of you ever written a word, that you know exists, and yet MS Word kindly tries to replace it for you? Thankfully there's the default language chooser, as I like to write proper English English and not Americanized English. Anyway, that's by the by.

Have you ever written the word 'wank' on MS Word? I did once, for one of my novels I was writing. I actually wrote 'wank-mag'; my girl had appeared in Playboy and us Brits call it a wank-mag. MS Word made me burst out laughing at my computer; it underlined it in red and wanted me to change it to walkman! LOL. :D

P.S. It underlines just a simple wank too. I guess we're not old enough to use naughty words in our novels, eh?

Elodie (who has never described herself as ladylike anyway) :tongue

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Happens to me from time to time. Not in the newest Word but the oldest one seemed to follow a Jr. High Dictionary with all the swear words removed

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I used to know a professional magician, won't tell you his surname but it was always "corrected" to Amateur!:roll:Maybe it was trying to tell him something!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would not have hyphenated wank-mag, myself. Still, I agree that MS Word does poorly on slang and common vernacular, on this side of the Atlantic anyway.

I once wrote that a guy tuned out a woman's nattering at him, instead looking at her breasts. Spell check wanted nattering to be neutering--pretty hard to ignore even if her breasts are delectable.

Maryn, who never sold that one

superman skivvies

Wannabe Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I use word 97. Yes that's right. 97. And it does this all the time. Unfortunately half of the time the words aren't spelled right anyway. I'm bad speller when it comes to long words. It gets really annoying because it puts little squigglies under common names like Belinda.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I use word 97. Yes that's right. 97. And it does this all the time. Unfortunately half of the time the words aren't spelled right anyway. I'm bad speller when it comes to long words. It gets really annoying because it puts little squigglies under common names like Belinda.

Have you considered adding those words to your dictionary? The first thing I do when I get my hands on a computer is put in all the names and such I use.

(Right click the "mispelled" word and select "Add to Dictionary." Word can't know everything.)

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
Have you considered adding those words to your dictionary? The first thing I do when I get my hands on a computer is put in all the names and such I use.

(Right click the "mispelled" word and select "Add to Dictionary." Word can't know everything.)

You know, I knew this from when I used to do glove catalogues (strange names for gloves would get flagged in text all the time) and I completely forgot about this feature. It was 18 years ago that I did the work, so I will use that as an excuse.... Thank you, I will do this now that you reminded me.

Christine

superman skivvies

Wannabe Writer
Registered
Reaction score

I do that. And it seems to forget everytime I close the program. The next day it will do it again. Yeah, Word 97. Woo hoo!

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I do that. And it seems to forget everytime I close the program. The next day it will do it again. Yeah, Word 97. Woo hoo!

I had Word97 for a long time and never had that problem...

Check your options for Word-- is it set to remember the Custom Dictionary? Is there a box "Suggest from Main Dictionary Only" checked? If it is, then it may not be using your custom dictionary.

You can also PM me (so we don't complete derail this thread! =)