Any Writers of Bio's of the Very Prominent, Ever Seen Anything Like This?

host

Registered
Reaction score
In the 2003 California gubernatorial recall election, challenger Arnold Schwarzenegger, a native Austrian who had deliberately requested, in 1990, that the Wiesenthal Center investigate his family background for WWII Nazi ties, was subjected to negative press coverage, anyway, concerning his father's and grandfather's Nazi party membership and roles in military and paramilitary units.

The California governor who Schwarzenegger was attempting to unseat in the 2003 recall vote, was Gov. Gray Davis.

Despite the fact that this book was published in 1999.....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1574881817/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

Mystery Man: William Rhodes Davis, Nazi Agent of Influence (Hardcover)

by Dale Harrington

...and the fact that the 2003 contest was the third time Gov., Gray Davis stood for election in the most populous US state, no one looked into, questioned, and/or reported on his family background. Until I added this to his wikipedia bio, just a few days ago, there was no mention or reference of it, anywhere:

"Early life and political career....

....It was not documented, until July 20, 2008, and never previoulsy disclosed by Davis, that his grandfather was WWII Nazi agent, William Rhodes Davis, an American working to supply oil from Mexico for Hitler's Germany, and to aid the 1940 presidential election campaign of republican candidate, Wendell Wilkie. William Rhodes Davis died about August 1, 1941, a year before the birth of Gray Davis, reportedly "removed" by British spymaster Sir William Stephenson, aka "Intrepid".[7]

A google search with the words, gray davis , serves up his wiki bio as the first result. The blog entry I authored, containing the supporting documentation for my claim, is pretty straightfoward...NY Times Davis family marriage announcements, obits, and a court filing related to William Rhodes Davis's will probate.

I am curious if others have found instances of prominent figures closely scrutinized in "the public eye", who have managed to hide an infamous family patriarch, in plain sight, as Davis apparently has.

Last edited:

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
Looking at the book outline, I don't really see why Davis should be a figure of much historical interest. There are plenty of more significant figures to real about, and plenty of "common man at war" stories too . . . . this smacks of political manuvering to me.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I don't think that Gray Davis was all that likely to be influenced by his disgraced grandfather, who had died before he was born.

A lot of prominent political figures of the era were pro-Nazi isolationists who took similar actions to William Rhodes Davis's. Prescott Bush is only one example. Robert A. Taft, grandfather of Ohio governor Bob Taft, was another. And then there's Charles Lindbergh.

So, no, Gray Davis didn't personally cover anything up. His grandfather was part of an episode in US history that generally goes undiscussed, because so many powerful and wealthy families were involved.