Tarot Question.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I got my first tarot reading today, and was struggling to interpret anything out of the cards, despite the help of my girlfriend (who decided to try something new, and thought I'd make a good test subject.)

I tried not to be dismissive of the process; after all, it just seems to be a way to get your subconscious to answer hard questions. But I think I gave myself a few roadblocks anyway.

Something creepy happened though. In three readings (I kept saying "I don't get it. Let's try again.") the Five of Swords kept popping up, reversed, to the left of the original card.

If there is anything to this at all, then that card had some sort of significance, right? Problem is, I can't find an interpretation of the card that makes sense to me.

How do you generally interpret this card?

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah; I've seen those. I was sort of hoping someone on here had some experience reading.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
a single card does not tell the story, as you can see. it needs to be interpreted in context.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I used to do tarot readings. I can't tell you how many times I'd do multible readings of the same subject; and out of what, 77 cards, I'd have 1/3 to 1/2 of the same cards repeat themselves in the reading. (What are the odds?) I stopped doing readings because it really kind of scared me; especially when I did my own.

EM,
not really sure what to make of it...

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
a single card does not tell the story, as you can see. it needs to be interpreted in context.

Well, I was asking whether my writing career would ever be fruitful.

I got, by way of reply, the first time,

[R-6 of Swords][Strength]
[R-5 of Swords] [5 of Cups] [The Hermit]
[4 of Swords]

I thought it was neat that I got 4, 5 and 6 of Swords. Except all the things I've read say the sword sets are (basically) cards of ill portent.

:|

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score

[4 of Swords]

I thought it was neat that I got 4, 5 and 6 of Swords. Except all the things I've read say the sword sets are (basically) cards of ill portent.

together, these cards speak of loss, possibly an illness, disappointment and a weakening of your resolve. followed by retreat--a period of inactivity, which you can either use to regroup and rebuild your strength and resolve, or you can let defeat eat your last reserves and optimism.

there is great strength in the Hermit. the presence of this card may signify that you have potential you haven't tapped yet. with Strength also being in your reading, the message of the Hermit is reinforced. These two cards from the major arcana are very powerful; seeing them in your reading is a sign of great inner strength and ability, and potential success.

i see this reading as a warning that you haven't given it your all; or have made a writing choice that is not the best fit for your natural voice/ability; you may have not listened to your inner voice, but allowed yourself to be lead by others' advice believing they knew better.

have a look at your writing: genre, style, voice, topics. is there an natural impulse in the back of your mind you've been ignoring, repressing?

ETA: i'm looking forward to see others' interpretation.

NOTE: having more than one reading on the same topic in the same day is counterproductive. it can be fun if one chooses to try and test the value of Tarot or other readings, but just remember the subconscious / subliminal works much faster and deeper than we are aware -- don't test your subconscious, it has a wicked sense of humor ;)

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The five of swords often relates to a period of balance/deadlock coming to an end. There is potential for conflict and bad feelings but surrounding cards will help turn this freed up energy into something positive.

That said it is generally received that you cannot to multiple quickfire accurate readings. In one tradition you should not read the some person on the same question untill there as been a new moon.

BTW I total feel it is about accessing unconscious thoughts and contemplating archetypes. But I am not much into woo woo types explanations, personally.

Last edited:

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com
I can't do any better than what Angelinity said in relation to the reading as a whole.

I will say regarding the 5 of swords popping up 3 times: There may be a message for you here in this card alone. People often see it as a victory with consequences. For me I am more inclined to think of those who did not win in this situation in other words, you may achieve something but at what cost? Is there a situation where something you have done in pursuit of your dream may have caused others to feel a little neglected or left out? Or maybe you put something important on the backburner while you were busy achieving something else?

A multitude of swords in a reading can also be about your thinking process, too. It doesn't always have to be about ill portent. Sometimes we need to take a break(4 of swords) from the normal way we think about things so that we can get a fresh perspective.

Not sure if this helps at all, just some thoughts that came to mind.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I had heard that "quickfire" readings weren't very valuable, but the deck was new, and-- you know. Newness!

Anyway, that's the first series of cards--not the second or third.

(She had already done her own reading, so the cards had been shuffled at least twice. I'm something of a card sharp, so I know they were shuffled well.)

I appreciate all your insight and opinions. I have sort of a general message out of it, now, though it isn't exactly what I wanted to hear. :p . I think I just need to clean my workspace and start something fresh.

Last edited:

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Tarot doesn't read terribly far ahead. There are too many variables. Your reading, however it's interpreted, is showing trends (not absolutes) for the next six months, a year at the most. Don't ask the Tarot 'will I ever' questions, because divination and your own mind aren't set up to do that.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Tarot doesn't read terribly far ahead. There are too many variables. Your reading, however it's interpreted, is showing trends (not absolutes) for the next six months, a year at the most. Don't ask the Tarot 'will I ever' questions, because divination and your own mind aren't set up to do that.

Duly noted. That makes a lot more sense. Cartomancy is fascinating.

On that note, wouldn't the feeling I had while asking the question greatly impact my reading, rather than the exact wording? Also, wouldn't it be affected by mood, environment, and the day's events?

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
On that note, wouldn't the feeling I had while asking the question greatly impact my reading, rather than the exact wording? Also, wouldn't it be affected by mood, environment, and the day's events?

I believe the confusion/general disagreeableness of your reading stems from what Stephanie said. You have to be fairly exact with tarot, and I usually give it a time limit as well. You could try something like "What will be the outcome of [project[?" or "Will {project] sell by the end of the year?", something along those lines.

Sometimes if I'm mulling over several ideas I'll lay card for each of them and see which one looks the most promising, too.

Sophia2

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I was asking whether my writing career would ever be fruitful.

[4 of Swords]

Swords are usually to do with truth either negatively or positively.

The six of swords is to do with a journey. Sailing to a new location with your writing. However, the five of swords is not a good card and is symbolic of depression and negativity. That is then followed by the five of cups and that is about disappointment and emotional let downs. Its then followed by the hermit which is all about going within, seek and you shall find to see the light. The four of swords is the healing and rest card. If you combined travel and healing this would lead you to retreats.

You know the response to your question. While there is doubt in your heart then you must heal your doubts or listen to your intuition and what it is telling you. I have to be honest those cards do not give you a positive outcome. As a reader I would ask you what are your true motivations for a writing career? Then ask you to shuffle them again and ask a different question that will give you guidance on what career would serve you. You might come back to writing in the future. However, there is a journey on your life path and development to take before a writing career would come to anything. Those cards would show a tremendous lack in some areas and are definitely not auspicious. Desire can cause a great deal of pain and suffering and the more that you heal the self the more your true purpose will be revealed to you.

If you try to knock bricks walls down it will be painful and frustrating. This will not happen with the might of the sword, the truth will set you free.

Sophia

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score

the cards can be affected by your feelings, in the sense that if you're not able to clearly articulate your question and focus, the cards will also be scattered, and the reading confusing. in this case, the results depend much more on the reader's ability to clear residue and concentrate.

the cards don't read minds. for instance, if there's a question you really wanted to ask, but instead you ask a slightly different version of it -- maybe thinking that 'the cards will know what i mean'. they don't :) sometimes it may seem that they do: if you're lucky enough to have a well seasoned and highly perceptive reader.

and lastly, the cards are influenced by external factors: the presence of others and their own energy, and readings done for others in the same space -- which is why Tarot parties seldom have merit unless the reader is truly extraordinary: it takes great effort to keep the 'psychic' assault at bay and still produce acceptable readings. i once did three readings at a party, about an hour each, and was completely exhausted at the end, couldn't drive home... i learned my lesson.

and another note -- as you continue to learn about Tarot and readings become more revealing... don't get obsessed by it, don't run your life according to Tarot :) better to focus your energy on your ability to get what you want. just saying it cuz i've seen it happen to too many people.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
Swords are usually to do with truth either negatively or positively.

The six of swords is to do with a journey. Sailing to a new location with your writing.

Sophia

i agree, except it is Reversed in this case, hence a 'journey' missed, delayed or incomplete.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I think that this 'feelings' question is valid, but think it depends on the reader. I am much less led by my feelings than my intellect, for example. I must concur with some of the above posters in that your questions must be fairly exact. Even with the most general reading, your question should be along the lines of, "What should I pay attention to during the next six months."

Also note that the Tarot doesn't tell the future, but gives indication of trends. It will tell you, "If you continue with your current (activity, attitude, plans, etc.) this is likely to happen. That's why you have a reading. A well done reading will give you an opportunity to watch for the problems the Tarot has warned you about, and do something about it.

The Tarot in itself is only a tool. It's the reader who matters. (I used to do short-term divination with a thesaurus.)

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this, and I came to the conclusion that the 5 of cups could have represented me focusing too much on a failing project, and ignoring one that I've put on the back burner. The mysterious writer's block (I've written about 900 words all month, which is what caused me to ASK this question) vanished when I started working on my other project. I've written 2500 words today, in a sitting, and am only stopping because my eyes won't stay open.

:)

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
[4 of Swords]
oooh, I'm such a freak for this.

Were you just pulling cards or using a specific spread?

Hrm either way....swords: Makes the way hard. Writing in this context is struggle. 5's strife cards themselves again. 4oS is a card of repose, in this context I'd take strength and hermit to be values to emulate. 5 of cups...to many projects, 5 of swords....again hands in too many things.

My opinion as a tarot reader, using an RWS deck... you'll be fine...if you stop messing around, sit your butt in a chair and write. Don't let those other projects distract you.

Tarot can be straight forward if you want it to be.

eveningstar

circus girl without a safety net
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I had heard that "quickfire" readings weren't very valuable, but the deck was new, and-- you know. Newness!

I think others have covered the meaning side already, but it might be worth noting that sometimes new decks can take some time to break in, for lack of a better term.

I have over a dozen decks and keep acquiring more. I won't read with a new one until it's been in my space for two weeks or so, and I only do very simple readings the first few times I use it to get a feel for how it reads. I have decks that are very blunt and decks that are more cryptic. Each one has its own personality.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Were you just pulling cards or using a specific spread?

My girlfriend had some sort of system worked out. I had to pick the first card. I thought the five of cups looked neat.

I think others have covered the meaning side already, but it might be worth noting that sometimes new decks can take some time to break in, for lack of a better term.

I have over a dozen decks and keep acquiring more. I won't read with a new one until it's been in my space for two weeks or so, and I only do very simple readings the first few times I use it to get a feel for how it reads. I have decks that are very blunt and decks that are more cryptic. Each one has its own personality.

That is positively frightening.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
That is positively frightening.

What, the amount of decks? I have hundreds from all over the world. I collect them, read with them use them in meditation and in rituals.

I tend to start using a new deck right away to see how well it will work for me. There are some I can't read with at all. Since I read intuitively, the deck I use matters a great deal. An RWS deck will give me a different reading than a Fey deck or the Cat People Deck.

I said I was freak. Hell, I even belong to a local Tarot Geeks group.