PDA

View Full Version : Book covers

heyjude
07-26-2008, 03:37 AM
So someone recently commented to me about the huge number of book covers that show a woman from the back or side... She's right, there are a ton of them. It's pretty repetitious. What's the deal with this? I guess a trend? Anyone else notice this?

Michael Davis
07-26-2008, 05:02 AM
I think anyway you look at a woman, she looks good.

JoNightshade
07-26-2008, 05:10 AM
Well, in general the best curves tend to be from those angles. ;)

Toothpaste
07-26-2008, 07:06 AM
Wait till LLivingston (new member here on AW) gets permission to show off her cover! It's a girl, facing forward staring right out at you. It's so fabulous because it is veering from that trend you are talking about that indeed shows girls from the back or side. Also the model is ridiculously gorgeous and I wish I was her. But . . .that's neither here nor there. :)

IceCreamEmpress
07-26-2008, 07:42 AM
So someone recently commented to me about the huge number of book covers that show a woman from the back or side... She's right, there are a ton of them. It's pretty repetitious. What's the deal with this? I guess a trend? Anyone else notice this?

Karen Heller wrote a good article (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/gallery/20080430_Karen_Heller__These_book_covers_say_women _are_dumb.html) about this. It annoys the heck out of me. "Oh, look, there's a woman with her back turned! Wow, I can't wait to read this book now! Oh but gee, there's a woman who's shown only from the neck to the knees. Which will I choose?"

Claudia Gray
07-26-2008, 07:49 AM
I am anti- "beheaded woman" covers myself. There are zillions of them, and it seems very depersonalizing. I guess they must sell, though, or we wouldn't see so many.

heyjude
07-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Karen Heller wrote a good article (ttp://www.philly.com/inquirer/gallery/20080430_Karen_Heller__These_book_covers_say_women _are_dumb.html) about this. It annoys the heck out of me. "Oh, look, there's a woman with her back turned! Wow, I can't wait to read this book now! Oh but gee, there's a woman who's shown only from the neck to the knees. Which will I choose?"

Thank you for that article! The link didn't work but I searched and came up with: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/columnists/karen_heller/20080430_Karen_Heller__These_book_covers_say_women _are_dumb.html