My first rejection!

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hesitated as to whether or not to post this, since this was such a small thing, but what the heck. It means I can call myself a writer with a straight face now. :D

So yay, me on the rejection. I also sent out another piece immediately, so I hopped back on the horse before I had a chance to wallow. (I still plan to eat a ton of chocolate later tonight.)

But, the wheel's started turning for me, finally, and I have more work yet to finish and get out there.

Just wanted to say that. :)

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
YAY you :D

Get busy! (writing, I meant ;))

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I feel a little better having gotten this first one out of the way. :)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Now, you are officially on a higher place than a lot of people here. You are now a writer

(Don't forget to frame it so you can laugh while returning from picking your Pullitzer)

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far. :) Firstly, because it was a simple 100 word flash piece (boy, was it hard to write so small!), and also because it doesn't place me higher than anyone else, imo. It was a big step for me, though, I won't lie. But lots of folks here are doing it and have been doing it for a lot longer, for sure!

I might be more foolhardy, though. LOL!

:Hug2: Thanks very much, Max.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, congratulations. I'm sorry it was a rejection, but I know what you mean. There's kind of a high that goes with it. May the next one be an acceptance, and celebrate the same way--lots of chocolate. :)

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats not only on putting your work out there, but also on taking it in the right spirit. Rejection is part of life, not just writing. No point being afraid of it!

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Cool beans, kid.

:hooray: (?)

:Sun:

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you! You know what they say about the journey of a thousand miles.

Here, I'm just going to pack you a lunch before you go. :)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Congrats! I didn't look at my first rejection that way. I actually cried. Even though I wasn't being unrealistically optimistic or anything. I really KNEW I was going to get rejected, and yet, I still cried. I'm glad you're looking at it in a positive light, and I hope I do the same thing with my second attempt!!

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Congratulations on getting that out of the way. I remember feeling bad about the first one but there was something about it that verified I was finally going after my dream.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Cranky, you know how proud I am of you. There are way too many writers--some good ones too--who never submit because of fear of failure. You're already way ahead of them.

Now go get 'em with the next one. :D

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone, so much. I love AW...it makes things like rejection loom a little less largely, and helps push me to do things I didn't think I could do (like submit in the first place, heh heh).

:Hug2: I appreciate all the words of encouragement.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
You've got the right attitude. I wonder if anyone's ever had the first thing that they wrote accepted, on the first try. Not me, for sure. Congratulations on achieving a real milestone.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much, everyone! :) I find that it's kind of a "fake it till ya make it" situation here. The rejection stung, I won't lie, but as far as I'm concerned, it's tangible proof that I'm trying, and taking this seriously.

Besides, there's nothing like some objective feedback to let you know you're not quite "there" yet. :) That's incredibly helpful, in the long run. That, and it's an excuse to eat sinful stuff!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry you got a rejection but thumbs way up for jumpng back in and sending out more queries :Thumbs:

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
You've got the right attitude. I wonder if anyone's ever had the first thing that they wrote accepted, on the first try. Not me, for sure. Congratulations on achieving a real milestone.

My letter to the editor for a magazine (my first "submission" I suppose) was accepted. First time out... :)

What's rather funny (in the funny weird, not the funny ha-ha way) is that I made more on that well over a decade-and-a-half ago than I have on anything since...

Hmmmm...

Congratulations (I think), Cranky! Here's hoping the news only gets better from here... :)

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Cranky woman! Congrats!

Last edited: