PDA

View Full Version : Waiting...

Mr. Anonymous
07-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Ok, so aside from all the agents, I have an independent publisher considering my book. I emailed the guy in charge, and he requested a sample. He liked the first two chapters, and genuinely seemed like a nice guy (the kind you'd like to work with.)

His company, as he mentioned to me, mostly specializes in non-fiction (though they have published fiction before). They have a pretty decent number of bestsellers so I figure that as far as marketing and distribution go, they're doing their job.

So now he's reading the full, and he also paid a teen to read a copy as well (makes sense considering he hasn't published YA before.)

So now I'm driving myself crazy by checking my email every five minutes. Even more so than when it was just agents I had to worry about. Every time the phone rings I rush downstairs only to, nine out of ten times, answer and hear a telemarketer from discover card make me an offer that I've heard about 100 times already. I've politely requested that they take me off their calling list. It seems like I've been ignored. So yea, I think I'm losing my marbles.

I've tried working on a new project. But knowing how much headache is in store for me once I finish isn't exactly reassuring.

So yea, anyone else biting their nails?

citymouse
07-26-2008, 01:28 AM
M.A. I can't help you with your anxiety, however, if you are in the US you can register on the official US do not call list. I did and have been blissfully free of unwanted phone calls ever since.

Anyone who has been through the agent/publisher routine will tell you to have patience. Write another book, or even two books. Polish one you've already written. Take up cat hair macramé. Do anything that keeps your mind and heart happily occupied.
Good Luck!
C

Ok, so aside from all the agents, I have an independent publisher considering my book. I emailed the guy in charge, and he requested a sample. He liked the first two chapters, and genuinely seemed like a nice guy (the kind you'd like to work with.)

His company, as he mentioned to me, mostly specializes in non-fiction (though they have published fiction before). They have a pretty decent number of bestsellers so I figure that as far as marketing and distribution go, they're doing their job.

So now he's reading the full, and he also paid a teen to read a copy as well (makes sense considering he hasn't published YA before.)

So now I'm driving myself crazy by checking my email every five minutes. Even more so than when it was just agents I had to worry about. Every time the phone rings I rush downstairs only to, nine out of ten times, answer and hear a telemarketer from discover card make me an offer that I've heard about 100 times already. I've politely requested that they take me off their calling list. It seems like I've been ignored. So yea, I think I'm losing my marbles.

I've tried working on a new project. But knowing how much headache is in store for me once I finish isn't exactly reassuring.

shannonmac
07-26-2008, 01:31 AM
not even close to the biting my nails part yet, but man I can only imagine!!
kudos for finding someone and that does sound really promising...

so what was that Discover Card offer???

;)

Jackfishwoman
07-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Mr A, I am totally with ya! I have several fulls submitted of my 2nd manuscript and I have been waiting forever - 9-10 months for some of them. I have been told this is a good thing because the longer it takes, the further the manuscript is getting in the elimination process. But still... the not knowing is pure agony. And, like you, I have not been able to start a new project because I feel stuck in cement until I get out of this limbo in submission hell.

Deccydiva
07-26-2008, 02:00 AM
I still have all this to come as I am only at the query stage with my first novel... can't wait but I guess I'll be forced to! :Shrug: It will be progress, in a way.

ishtar'sgate
07-26-2008, 02:06 AM

So now I'm driving myself crazy by checking my email every five minutes.

It can be agonizing, for sure. I submitted my first novel directly to a publisher and waited...and waited... and waited. A whole panel of people were required to read my novel and agreement to publish had to be pretty much unanimous. Of course my story wasn't the only one they were considering so many months went by before I talked to the editor and he said, "Have a glass of wine and celebrate. We're publishing your novel!" I did.:D
Hang in there and try not to gnaw your fingers to the bone!
Linnea

NicoleMD
07-26-2008, 02:09 AM
All I have to say is writers don't start off crazy...

Deccydiva
07-26-2008, 02:09 AM
I am hoping that by throwing myself into the next project, the time will fly so I won't notice :Headbang:

Mr. Anonymous
07-26-2008, 04:40 AM
citymouse - You are a life saver. I didn't even know such a thing existed. Thanks so much! I'll do my best to keep myself occupied. Start a few new books, try to continue plowing forward with writing, etc.

Shannonmac-
kudos for finding someone and that does sound really promising...

Yea, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high. But it's hard. I can't help but feel like after I break through the first time, everything will be a lot easier. I know that probably isn't the case in reality, but I can't help feeling that way now.

so what was that Discover Card offer???

lol.

Jackfishwoman- I hope things work out well for you. A 9-10 month wait sounds horrible, but like you said, I'm sure that the longer the wait the closer you're getting. I've only been waiting three days (since I emailed him the full. lol.)

Deccydiva- I wish you the best of luck! I'm sure you'll get through it. I was hoping that my next project would absorb me completely but that hasn't been the case. Ah well, time to try harder I guess!

ishtar'sgate - Aw, that sounds great. I'm glad that it worked out so well for you. It must have been so gratifying to hear that after all that time waiting.

NicholeMD- lol. Very good point.

Alpha Echo
07-26-2008, 04:44 AM
I can only imagine how that must feel to be...waiting...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!!

And yeah, get on that no-call list! We dont' have a home phone, but we've done it with our cell phones, just in case.

WillSmall
07-26-2008, 08:31 AM
I'm only at the querying stage. I know its going to be weeks and maybe even months before I hear from some of these agents, but I can't help feeling anxious. I'm compulsively checking my email as well. :e2BIC:

BlueTexas
07-27-2008, 03:23 AM
I'm only at the querying stage. I know its going to be weeks and maybe even months before I hear from some of these agents, but I can't help feeling anxious. I'm compulsively checking my email as well. :e2BIC:

I'm still writing the query, never mind at the send it out stage. I'm gonna need alcohol soon, huh?

KTC
07-27-2008, 07:47 AM
I often forget what I have out there...so no, not biting my nails. You should just jump into your next project. I have two novels with publishers for consideration at the moment. I am in no hurry to hear back from them...whatever happens happens. Such is life.

Matera the Mad
07-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Huh? ;)

Disa
07-27-2008, 04:13 PM

You sure about that? :)

You're all ahead of me, I'm still in the beginning stages of writing my novel. Good luck to you!

Phaeal
07-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Heh, I've been submitting too much for too long. I forget where I've submitted stuff (unless I check my database, which I forget to do), and then I get a nice surprise when the rejection comes. Huh, I sent Impenetrable Mag a story ten months ago? How time flies.

Practice makes perfect, or at least thick-skinned. ;)

You've actually gotten someone's attention! Congratulate yourself. That's a big step in this sad world of form letters and the good old paperless, byteless "Maybe if I totally ignore the sub, it'll go away" rejections.

I've got a couple subs that have been out there for over ten years now. Alas, probably not even close to the record.