PDA

View Full Version : Old Hippies

popmuze
07-25-2008, 09:14 PM
A while ago I posted a request to hear from all you old hippies out there, especially those who were into music in the year 1969. I just signed a contract for a new book called "Love Is But a Song We Sing: The Year in Rock, 1969" and I'm collecting all sorts of anecdotes about that dramatic and divisive year.

Thanks already to Shakey Six: I'd love to use your note if you let me. It can be under the name Shakey Six if you like. And Blacbird, I hope you reply (if not I'll have to PM you) about your experiences in Viet Nam (where you may have listened to Hendrix).

Anyone else out there can reply here for all to see or to me personally at popmuze@netzero.net.

RJK
07-25-2008, 10:03 PM
I chickened out on Woodstock. Actually I was married with a 4 year old and my wife would have skinned me alive if I had gone. My best friend and co-worker (the one who wanted me to accompany him) did go and he had many stories about his experience.

popmuze
07-25-2008, 10:27 PM
I chickened out on Woodstock. Actually I was married with a 4 year old and my wife would have skinned me alive if I had gone. My best friend and co-worker (the one who wanted me to accompany him) did go and he had many stories about his experience.

Feel free to pass your friend my email. But if you have any stories relating to the music, culture and/or politics of 1969 as Dr. Frazier Crane says, "I'm listening."

rugcat
07-25-2008, 10:47 PM
I worked the sound and light booth as a teen at the famed Matrix Club in San Francisco in 1967 or 68. So that misses your exact year, but I could send you a story or two if it would help, though not surprisingly, my memory is a bit fuzzy about those days.

popmuze
07-25-2008, 11:42 PM
If you don't mind sending me stuff at popmuze@netzero.com I could take a look at it and let you know if I think it'll work, or ask you a few pointed questions and we could go back and forth until it works. If you've got some memories of the Jefferson Airplane, Joplin, Quicksilver, Moby Grape, the Dead et al, so much the better.

blacbird
07-26-2008, 12:48 AM
I was born in a cross-fire hurricane.

Whaddaya need to know?

caw

Danger Jane
07-26-2008, 02:40 AM
If you've got some memories of the Jefferson Airplane...

Too bad they're all from 2007+

:D

If anybody wants to lend me a time machine real quick I'll help :tongue

rtilryarms
07-26-2008, 03:31 AM
I was too young to remember and recuperating from a serious disease back then.

However, my son is a history major in college and his specialty is the pop cultures of the late 60's. He says he would be happy to be a beta. He also said that he volunteers to read it twice, once straight and once on 'shrooms. I think I will ask him to read it once and keep him away from cow pastures.

He is also a musician and an expert on the Hendix, Joplin, etc. era. We play the songs together but we also study and debate the history.

I also encourage you to visit songfacts.com (if you haven't already found it), for great snippets on singers, bands and those who were there.

Good luck.

rt

pdr
07-26-2008, 05:49 AM
no Beatles!

popmuze
07-26-2008, 05:09 PM
The Beatles were breaking up in 1969 and played their last live date in I think January of the year. But anyone with inside knowledge of the Beatles is definitely invited to contribute. That goes for the Stones as well. Any Altamont survivors here?

Kathie Freeman
07-26-2008, 07:06 PM
I was born in a cross-fire hurricane.

Hmmm ... I always thought that was "a class-five hurricane".

Tsu Dho Nimh
07-26-2008, 10:44 PM
1969 ... I was working in a resort that summer and we (live-in staffers) were about 5 miles out in the woods, sitting around a campfile, smoking beer and drinking weed, looking at a full moon and wondering why we couldn't see the astronauts walking around. Later that year, my grandmother (born 1886) went off on a rant about how if God meant for man to be on the moon,God would have put them there. To which my smartass little sister said ... and if God meant you to fly to Miami every year, shouldn't God have given you wings. Nana wasn't amused.

Music ... something suitably psychedelic on the battery-eating transistor radio.

lakotagirl
07-29-2008, 12:56 AM
I hitchhiked 1,000 miles to New Orleans with $50 in my pocket. Ended up in a little town outside of New Orleans where I ran the light show at a concert hall. It would have been 1970 by then. Ted Nuggent and The Amboy Dukes were among the bands that played there. Also Mothers of Invention.

The job didn't pay much. Just enough to buy a few groceries every week. But I could sleep in the auditorium so didn't need to pay rent.