Status
Not open for further replies.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
One or two months ago a published writer went to my school and the teacher mentioned to her I am attempting to write a novel... needless to say, I spent the rest of the chat sitting on the back pretending I am invicible until she forgot the name of The Catcher In The Rye which I kindly reminded her...

Anywho, she left me her e-mail and we have talked a little bit and invited me to a literary workshop tomorrow. Woe me!, the worshop is on another city that is at about 20 miles and I don't have any transport to reach it :( she said she would be pleased if I joing to ther group and learn a bit about it... but you can see my problem... :(

So, what do you think? should I try to go for it? wait a while to find transportation? forget to follow a workshop or classes or whatever, grab a typewriter and run into the wild?

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I guess I'm confused about why you felt you had to hide when your teacher pointed you out specially to the writer and are hesitant to accept this published writer's advances, which seem very kindly meant.

You can't know if you'll like or do well in a literary group until you try it out. And someone who's already doing what you want to do professionally who's also willing to help you along the way is a blessing.

If you're unable to attend this particular meeting because of transportation issues, just tell her that. For all you know, another member is coming from your area and can pick you up. Or she'll invite you to the next one and you'll have time to plan and make arrangements.

I guess the only dilemma I can see is the transportation issue. Were it me, there would be no question of continuing the relationship and making every effort to attend this group at least once. But you have to do what's right for you.

Cato

Master of Puppets
Registered
Reaction score
I had to read your post twice. I read it the first time as "i was sitting on the back pretending I was invincible". I know how you felt. I sometimes get shy when people talk about me right in front of me. It can be awkward.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I had to read your post twice. I read it the first time as "i was sitting on the back pretending I was invincible". I know how you felt. I sometimes get shy when people talk about me right in front of me. It can be awkward.

It was mostly because in the way she pointed me out; something like "look at him, he tries to write a novel!"

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I found that once I had written my first book, even though it was not published at that stage it was a very empowering experience. When people were dismissive or otherwise disrespectful of what I had done, I just looked at them and thought "I've done it and you haven't" which gave me a whole new air of confidence.
Go for it - chances do not come by every day and you will not regret it, even if that realisation comes way in the future.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I forgot that today was Friday :( I am such an idiot... how can I even dare to dream that I may be a writer like that?

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I forgot that today was Friday :( I am such an idiot... how can I even dare to dream that I may be a writer like that?
Um, a writer like what? How does mixing your days up mean you either can or can't be a writer?

Writer's write. They don't dither about asking if they CAN, they do it. They stink at first and then, as they work at it, they get better. Can you be a writer like that? Sure, if you work at it.

As for this particular dither -- either call the published author and apologize for messing up your schedule and see if you can attend the next one, or don't. Make the decision and move forward, one way or the other.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Sorry, is that I have been deppressed lately and questioning if I am going to be good at choosing this career

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, is that I have been deppressed lately and questioning if I am going to be good at choosing this career

Yo tambien. Pero, necesitamos entender que no hay fracasos hasta que lo hacemos. Si escribes, eres novelista. Si no escribes, eres obrero. Hay novelistas muy famosos que no hablaban inglés hasta que tenía 20 años o más. Escribes muy bien en esto momento; te imagines que rico será tus cuentos hasta un año. Hasta dos. Te quede fuerte.

Or something like that.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Gracias, Bartolomeo. It's true, if I don't try it I will never work if I can triumph in this

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Good news: She sent an e-mail, August 1th!

Bad news: It's just the day after my graduation and the day before the party. Apparently is the end of the term for her course

Jill

Registered
Reaction score
Writer's write. They don't dither about asking if they CAN, they do it. They stink at first and then, as they work at it, they get better. Can you be a writer like that? Sure, if you work at it.

Couldn't agree more. Writing is like every other craft or profession, it has to be learned and practised. I've kept just about everything I've ever written - some long hand, some typewritten, some on a memory stick - if nothing else it reminds me that I've got better. Some of my early attempts are cringe making!

The other invaluable tool towards becoming a better writer is to become a better reader. Read and find out why other writers are being published when you aren't.

And finally grab all the advice you can especially if it comes from a successful writer.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I indeed have felt I have improved. I attempted to write a novel when I was 13 that reached 140 pages and I considered it my first pratice lesson. Even in my current WIP, the fourth chapter (where I am right now) is far superior to the first chapter (made two years ago)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Went there, had the time of my life although I felt I bit out of place, hope to continue next term

Status
Not open for further replies.