PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever taken a job because you thought you'd get a story out of it?

Susan Breen
07-25-2008, 03:09 AM
I was going to answer no to that question and then I realized I wrote a novel based on a fiction class. Which I teach. But I didn't take the job because of that. I was thinking if I were young, I'd try and get a job at a museum (which shows you how wild I am) or a firehouse or something so I could build up stories. Anyone do that?

scheherazade
07-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Aha... yes... I'm trying to do that right now. I left an office job and if I can financially avoid it I'm hoping not to go back to that kind of deadening environment. I don't have a particular story in mind, but I'm trying to find "interesting" but slightly random jobs that seem like they might feed a future story idea.

grrrrrshon
07-25-2008, 09:02 AM
I once committed the perfect bank robbery - not for the writing experience, but because I had already planned it out for a book and got really curious.

Now I can't publish it or the police will know that it is I who stole the many millions.

freezer burned
07-25-2008, 10:48 AM
I once committed the perfect bank robbery - not for the writing experience, but because I had already planned it out for a book and got really curious.

Now I can't publish it or the police will know that it is I who stole the many millions.
On the bright side, you probably no longer have to work and now have the economic freedom to write about whatever else you want to... :D

Phaedo
07-25-2008, 11:34 AM
grrrrrshon - how fascinating!

Susan - I am buying your book. I thought you might like to know that.

Deccydiva
07-25-2008, 02:00 PM
I haven't taken a job for that reason but those I've had which I didn't enjoy - and there are plenty of those - have provided many ideas for writing at a future date!

JJ Cooper
07-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Just quit my corporate job today. I had planned the setting for my third thriller in a mining/energy type environment. Guess where I'll be working soon.

JJ

Susan Breen
07-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the comments, and also, if anyone does buy my book, or doesn't, but would like bookmarks, just pm me your address. :)

sunnyxlove
08-02-2008, 10:03 AM
haha, I took college courses so I could understand/study/research a particular time period in my novel

September skies
08-02-2008, 11:18 AM
No, but there were several times I wish I had the ability to do that.
The best way to research something for a book would be to live it. Wouldn't that be cool? I'm always excited to read about people who can do that.
Like sunnyxlove, I've taken a class to understand something better that I was planning on writing about - but never taken that plunge of actually taking a job.

Menyanthana
08-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I worked in a call center. I hated it. However, my parents told me all the time "You could use the experience to write a story about it"...If I ever do, a lot of people will die in that story...:rant:

seun
08-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Five or six years ago, I applied to be a teaching assistant in my old school. At the time, I was writing a long book based in a school. Being vastly under qualified didn't help; I didn't get the job and the book now resides in the Never To Be Submitted Ever Again pile.

SKYwrite
08-03-2008, 02:39 AM
I have also taken courses in post-secondary to strictly help my story. And it works! For me it was school for writing, not writing for school.

Moonfish
08-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Well, I once had a mind-numbingly dull job which I only survived because I thought I might get stories out of it. I took more of an interest in what was going on around me than I would have, had I not had a writer's mind.

I was a security guard in a museum... DULL!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the end I wanted to dig my brain out with a spoon.

kct webber
08-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I once moved to Puerto Rico because I could get training that would help me with a story. I trained 10 to 12 hours a day every day for a year. "Living" your research is fun. :)

I've also taken college classes for that purpose.

Yeshanu
08-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Sort of. A couple of years back, I took a job in a movie theatre selling popcorn. I don't want to write about selling popcorn, of course, but the free movies I see as part of my job are definitely inspiration for my writing.

And I got promoted to manager a few months back, so I now get to deal with all the crazies, who will definitely make it into my stories at some point. :D

Plus, the abysmal on-line training courses we have to do have inspired me to write better ones. :(

PattiTheWicked
08-04-2008, 05:29 AM
I once went out on a date with someone because I thought he'd make an interesting character in a story.

I never wrote the story, but I did get some really good sex.

Upbeat
08-04-2008, 05:52 AM
No, but as a working journalist (the old-fashioned objective kind) I got ideas for books to write - and did so, particularly about a Russian emigre in U.S. who defied official Soviet objections to his leaving his native land.
While that may have been a rare opportunity for a book idea, there are story & character ideas all around us every day of our lives - everywhere, even in the most common observations and experiences of our daily lives!