PDA

View Full Version : Potato Chips

JLCwrites
07-25-2008, 01:36 AM
So, what is your favorite potato chip brand and flavor?

jennifer75
07-25-2008, 01:50 AM
I'm assuming you mean Sour Cream and Onion. Lays please. And a close 2nd are Pringles SC&O, then Salt and Vinegar, then..... :) But really I prefer fries with ranch dip.

Jersey Chick
07-25-2008, 01:52 AM
Cape Cod Sea Salt and Vinegar - I'd sell my kids for them :D

JoNightshade
07-25-2008, 01:59 AM
Cucumber. Second favorite is tomato. I believe Lays makes them. As far as I know, they're only sold in China. Maybe Japan?

Sigh.

jamesn65
07-25-2008, 02:00 AM
Ruffles or Lays, but I will only eat plain old regular chips!! None of that fancy stuff for me.

Jersey Chick
07-25-2008, 02:01 AM
Lays had a real yummy "Special Edition" chips - sweet and sour teriyaki... Oh. My. God. I bought them by accident, devoured them and haven't seen them since... and i am sad :(

Gravity
07-25-2008, 02:03 AM
Hawaiian Kettle Chips (if you can find them). Dee-licious.

DeleyanLee
07-25-2008, 02:36 AM
Standard plain potato chips here. Maybe Ruffles if I'm feeling adventurous.

Homemade are really the bestest though.

writersprite
07-25-2008, 02:39 AM
Ruffles Cheddar and Sour Cream (or the White Cheddar Cheese Puffs)

JLCwrites
07-25-2008, 03:58 AM
Kettle Chips... They are awesome! I especially like their 'beer and cheddar' flavor. YUM!

cray
07-25-2008, 04:32 AM
I'm assuming you mean Sour Cream and Onion. Lays please. And a close 2nd are Pringles SC&O, then Salt and Vinegar, then..... :) But really I prefer fries with ranch dip.

pringles?
good lord, no. i think we've pretty much ruled them out already (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92365&highlight=pringles)

bbq all the way.
cooked in lard.

Cranky
07-25-2008, 04:38 AM
Salsa Verde Doritos. Oh, yummy!

joyce
07-25-2008, 05:21 AM
Right now I'm on a dill kick. My favorite junk chips are corn though.

Don Allen
07-25-2008, 05:32 AM
JAYS REG. CHIPS,,,,,,,salty, brown, cracked, greasy as all hell, but my GOD are they yummy....But you must have heart paddles near by to revive you and some sort of cholestrol lowering drug nearby at all times when eating......

Shadow_Ferret
07-25-2008, 05:55 AM
Gah. I abhor BBQ. It was the first flavor and it was just so dreadful when it first came out I can't stomach it now even though I'm sure they've improved it.

For Plain chips, I love Mr. G's coated in a ton of lard.
Second best plain chips are the plain Kettle Chips, that several brands put out.

Then for flavors, I like Cheddar and Sour Cream.

I used to love Sour Cream and Onion, but I burned out on them.

I also like the cracked pepper and sea salt ones.

And strangely enough, I just discovered No Salt chips and they are surprisingly good considering.

shawkins
07-25-2008, 05:55 PM
The Black Pepper chips that you can only get at the Schlotzsky's deli chain. Yumsville.

icerose
07-25-2008, 08:33 PM
We rarely have chips, especially now that we know our kids are allergic to soy, but my husband loves Doritos (I know they aren't potato chips) and I like the Cheddar cheese and sour cream ones, though I like sun chips more than potato chips...

I am going to try making my own as soon as I get a batch of potatoes that aren't soft. This heat kills my potatoes too fast.

Voyager
07-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Here in Mexico, vendors make potato chips on the street and you can get them hot out of the kettle of lard, smothered in Valentina chile, lemon and salt. My chest hurts.

Tink
07-25-2008, 08:45 PM
I don't have a favorite anymore although, sourcream and onion and sourcream and chedder ruffles were my favorites for awhile. I use to buy this Augratin something-or-another made by I don't remember who that I loved but they aren't sold anymore.
Now, if I eat them its usually plain lays or baked (almost all the flavors) lays that I eat.

tjwriter
07-27-2008, 09:35 PM
I love Grippo's BBQ chips. Like Shadow Ferret, I can't really stand the taste of any BBQ chips, but these are very different than the other brands.

When I was about two, you could find me in the living room with tears rolling down my face from the spicy chips.

*Adds Grippo's to pregnancy craving list. Goes off in search of food.*

kristie911
07-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Plain Lays are my favorite.

Any brand of salt and vinegar are a good treat but I always go back to plain. :)

Fraulein
07-29-2008, 01:49 AM
Salt and Vinegar!

StephanieFox
07-29-2008, 03:25 AM
I don't eat chips very often, but when I do, it has to be with a dip, usually with a sour cream dip. My favorite chips are the rosemary and olive oil. I tried roast beef flavored chips one time(I think they are British) just for the adventure.

Pringles are not potato chips any more than Velveeta is cheese. The don't have much potato in them and are entirely processed food, while potato chips are simply thinly sliced potatoes fried in hot oil.

stormie
07-29-2008, 03:30 AM
Plain Lays potato chips. Yum!

CBumpkin
07-29-2008, 03:53 AM
I can eat any flavor except plain! Uggh-o! I love flavor and lots of it. None of these weak, namby-pamby sprinklings of flavor. Wait? Was that barbeque or ranch, I couldn't tell? I want it thick and zesty, please!

This is one reason I like certain flavors of Doritos so much. I only wish they would put more seasonings on their Taco flavor. That would be high heaven!

When I lived in Ireland, I fell in love with Curry flavored Pringles. You can't even find them in the US. They were never available here. The products US manufacturers make for Europe are much better than what they make for the US. GET A CLUE NESTLE AND PRINGLES!

Old Dutch seems to be the best for flavor intensity. Love their Dill Pickle, Kettle Crunch Barbeque and Parmesian Garlic, as well as their Salt and Vinegar flavor. That seems to be my flavor of the month so far ... Salt and Vinegar.

L M Ashton
07-29-2008, 06:01 AM
Pringles are not potato chips any more than Velveeta is cheese. Yup.

We have a Mr. Potato brand of "potato chips" here that's even worse than Pringles, if that can be imagined. They're so disgusting that even my niece, who can chow down on an entire pack of chips in less than five minutes, won't touch 'em.

Our only other "potato chip" choice here is Pringles. I don't eat "potato chips". If I were to eat potato chips, though, Old Dutch is at the top of my favourites list along with Kettle Valley. :)

Shadow_Ferret
07-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Pringles are not potato chips any more than Velveeta is cheese.
I agree that Pringles are not potato chips, but Velveeta is most certainly cheese. Good tasting and one of the best to use in cooking. Rich and creamy and melts evenly without that orange oily mess you get from cheddar.

Mmmm. Velveeta. *drools*

Chameleon
07-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Ketchup chips. Can't get those around here.

icerose
07-29-2008, 06:32 PM
I don't eat chips very often, but when I do, it has to be with a dip, usually with a sour cream dip. My favorite chips are the rosemary and olive oil. I tried roast beef flavored chips one time(I think they are British) just for the adventure.

Pringles are not potato chips any more than Velveeta is cheese. The don't have much potato in them and are entirely processed food, while potato chips are simply thinly sliced potatoes fried in hot oil.

Pringles are made mostly out of reconstituted McDonald's Frenchfries along with flour and such, so I agree with you there, but Velveeta is more cheese than you'd think.

Velveeta Cheese recipe

1 1/2 pounds grated Cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups very hot water, divided
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon instant dry milk
1/2 envelope unflavored gelatine (1 1/2 teaspoons)

In blender, put 3/4 cup of the water, 3 tablespoons of the milk and 1/2 teaspoon of the gelatine, and whip until gelatine is dissolved. Quickly add to the hot mixture 1/2 pound of the Cheddar cheese. Whip until blended. Pour into an 8 x 4 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan that has been lined with plastic wrap. Repeat this twice, until all remaining ingredients are used. Cover pan with more plastic wrap and chill overnight before unmolding. Keep cold and slice as needed.
Yields 2 pounds.

JLCwrites
07-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Mr. Turkey went to a brewer's festival. They were selling beer potato chips and Bloody Mary chips. The beer chips were very good. Bloody Mary chips... not so much.

threedogpeople
07-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Miss Vickie's Sweet Chili and Sour Cream are my favorites but I haven't seen them anywhere but in BC. I personally can't stand Old Dutch, they are too oily but my husband loves their catsup flavored chips.

My second favorite is plain corn tortilla chips (technically not a potato chip) with spicy salsa, homemade preferred or Nacho flavored Doritos (with an ice cold Diet Dr. Pepper in a glass bottle).

BenPanced
07-30-2008, 12:07 AM
When I lived in Ireland, I fell in love with Curry flavored Pringles. You can't even find them in the US. They were never available here. The products US manufacturers make for Europe are much better than what they make for the US. GET A CLUE NESTLE AND PRINGLES!
They made cheese and onion here in the US for a very, very, very short time. I fell in love with them during a trip to London and Pringles broke my heart later after I'd gotten home. :cry:

I do loves me some salt 'n' vinegar, though. They have that tang you feel at the back of your jaw.

Overall? Naturally, the brand I love the most I can only order online because they don't make them around here, but I'm still voting for Seyfert's. :LilLove:

III
07-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Cape Cod Sea Salt and Vinegar - I'd sell my kids for them :D

I have a giant Costco bag that I've been nursing for the past month or so. My mouth hates them. My stomach hates them. Yet ... I must eat them.

Shadow_Ferret
07-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Mr. Turkey went to a brewer's festival. They were selling beer potato chips and Bloody Mary chips. The beer chips were very good. Bloody Mary chips... not so much.
I just bought some beer potato chips at the store. Meh. Won't bother getting them again.

There used to be a brand available here, but I think they stopped shipping, called Poore Brothers and they had, oh, I don't know, dozens of different flavors. Things like Steak, and Pickle, and Salt and Vinegar, long before other brands started making those kinds of flavors.

JLCwrites
07-30-2008, 01:03 AM
I just bought some beer potato chips at the store. Meh. Won't bother getting them again.

There used to be a brand available here, but I think they stopped shipping, called Poore Brothers and they had, oh, I don't know, dozens of different flavors. Things like Steak, and Pickle, and Salt and Vinegar, long before other brands started making those kinds of flavors.

The ones he had were freshly made.
Poore Brothers are good chips. :)

chevbrock
07-30-2008, 06:09 AM
Red Rock Deli - Honey soy chicken.

KTC
07-30-2008, 06:24 AM
So, what is your favorite potato chip brand and flavor?

My current obsession:
http://www.taquitos.net/im/sn/Herrs-Ribs.jpg

KTC
07-30-2008, 06:26 AM
http://images.google.ca/url?q=http://www.junkfoodblog.com/uploaded_images/lays-curry-potato-chips-786513.jpg&usg=AFQjCNFfvAtlxt42HBmlbmcMaYuFzSx9rA

A close second...

Kthrok
07-30-2008, 05:49 PM
I like "All Dressed"

Kitrianna
07-30-2008, 07:30 PM
I like "All Dressed"

:Ssh: :D

CBumpkin
07-31-2008, 04:02 AM
Next to me is an open bag of Old Dutch Salt & Vinegar Kettle Chips. Mmmm....

Fraulein
07-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Next to me is an open bag of Old Dutch Salt & Vinegar Kettle Chips. Mmmm....I bought the Poor Brothers Salt & Vinegar. I simply couldn't resist! (after participating in this thread)

Darn this thread! *shakes fist in the air*

threedogpeople
07-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Slightly off topic....Are "they" making BBQ Fritos Corn Chips anymore? I keep seeing Chili flavor and plain but not BBQ. They were readily available in Oklahoma and Texas while I was growing up and going to University but I haven't seen them in ages.

creamofmushroom
08-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Cheetoes or Doritoes Jalapeno!