The Best Reward Ever

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
We are having a rainy summer. Haven't been able to do anything. I feel sorry for my grandson I think he is bored. Usually we are hiking, swimming, going to amusement parks etc. Yesterday him and I were in the Drug Store and we discovered they no longer carry kids magazines and books.

I turned to my grandson and said" I'm glad I have you." He then told me "I'm glad I have you to."

I commented that I wasn't sure how glad he could be since we weren't able to do anything fun all summer.

Then he said. If I didn't have you, I would have the most depressing life, because even if we didn't leave the house all summer, it would still be better than my summers in Virginia. (That was before we took custody of him). My heart melted and I was amazed that an eleven year old boy could be so sweet.

:)

For all the hard work of raising my grandchildren, that was the best reward ever.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, write that kid a book, since you can't buy them at the drugstore anymore. He deserves it.

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
That really is one of the great rewards in life! I'm so happy for you!

Siddow makes a great suggestion: Write a book for him. Read each chapter to him as you finish it. When the book is complete, bind it just for him. Or, even better yet, write a book together.

Personally, I love rainy days. If it rained all summer long, I'd love it! Do you have any board games? I still love board games, but so many people don't anymore. Not since the advent of fancy technology that enslaves people.

Heck, what does he like? I'll send him something!

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
That really is one of the great rewards in life! I'm so happy for you!

Siddow makes a great suggestion: Write a book for him. Read each chapter to him as you finish it. When the book is complete, bind it just for him. Or, even better yet, write a book together.

Personally, I love rainy days. If it rained all summer long, I'd love it! Do you have any board games? I still love board games, but so many people don't anymore. Not since the advent of fancy technology that enslaves people.

Heck, what does he like? I'll send him something!

I like the idea of him and I writing a book together... or at least a short story. :)

He is a great kid, got high honors all last year. It's the first time, I've had a boy so it's been a learning experience. I am taking him to the Jersey Shore in August. That should be fun. PRAY it doesn't rain..

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One thing we've learned living where we do is that rain can either stop you or not. Mostly I don't let it keep me from doing whatever I was going to do. I work out in the rain (so quiet and alone it's serene, too). I've been to the beach in the rain several times--hey, I was planning to get wet, right? Unless the footing's treacherous, hiking on relatively level terrain during rain is okay, too. (Don't want to risk a slip-and-fall where there are serious drops.) Amusement parks are closed during rain, often, but water parks may stay open--and are empty, so you can go again and again on favorite rides.

My concession to rain is a baseball cap so drops don't strike my face, which makes me flinch, and a braid. If it's cold, a waterproof jacket.

Come on, get wet. It's a teeny adventure!

Maryn, listening to it rain

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
One thing we've learned living where we do is that rain can either stop you or not. Mostly I don't let it keep me from doing whatever I was going to do. I work out in the rain (so quiet and alone it's serene, too). I've been to the beach in the rain several times--hey, I was planning to get wet, right? Unless the footing's treacherous, hiking on relatively level terrain during rain is okay, too. (Don't want to risk a slip-and-fall where there are serious drops.) Amusement parks are closed during rain, often, but water parks may stay open--and are empty, so you can go again and again on favorite rides.

My concession to rain is a baseball cap so drops don't strike my face, which makes me flinch, and a braid. If it's cold, a waterproof jacket.

Come on, get wet. It's a teeny adventure!

Maryn, listening to it rain

Rain usually doesn't stop me. However we are expecting 7 inches of rain today. Yesterday I went out in my rain slicker I use for hiking. I went out for five minutes and even the inside was wet..

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Kids! You just gotta love 'em sometimes 'cause they are so innocent of the wrongs in life. You are a good grandmother.

My grandson is very special to me. I just realized today is the 5th anniversary of his father's death. He was killed in a single car accident (he was drunk). He's had a lot of hurt in his life so I don't know how untouched he's been from life's wrongs.

His mom was a crack/heroin addict and they moved around constantly. He was left home for hours on end with his sister and often they would not have food in the house. They would eat kix with peanut butter because they had no milk.

His mom is sober now (thank God) however she isn't ready to be a mom yet, she will go for a week without calling them, and a couple of weeks with out seeing them.

So he's been through a lot of stuff...