My Cat's an Odd Duck

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
This is the only way my cat will drink. He will actually come and get me, lead me to the bathroom, hop in the bathtub, put his paw up and look at me until I turn the water on. He only uses his water dish to scoop kibble into, wait a few minutes, come back to it, scoop it out and eat it. He eats it dry most of the time, but, sometimes he likes gravy!

I'm sorry the pictures are so big. I tried to make them smaller, but they keep showing up this size.

CIMG0127.jpg

CIMG0128.jpg

CIMG0129-1.jpg

KC Sunshine

Registered
Reaction score
My kitty does that too.

Your kitty is too beautiful!!!!

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I bet he wouldn't be an odd cat if you didn't keep callin' him/her a duck. :D Just kidding. Beautiful kitty and talented too!

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I just find it funny that he comes to get me and, once in the bathtub, assumes "the position" and just stares at me until I turn the water on! He's incredibly sweet and LOVES everyone. He sits under my floor lamp at night and watches the walls to see if he can find any of his "friends" (gnats) flying around.

When I go to bed, he climbs up, lays next to me, on his side, with his head on the pillow. He HAS to have his face touching mine. He stays like that for about 20 minutes and then gets up to go to his own bed. He also like to sneak up behind me, jump up and bounce off my backside to let me know he wants to play tag. He's never dull!

CIMG0126.jpg

Last edited:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
What a beautiful cat! My shocked kitteh does something similar: whenever I go into my bedroom, she dashes into the bathroom and sits in the sink. She then stares at me and meows until I turn on the faucet. She then starts purring, twists her neck so her face is right under the faucet, and licks the drips with one paw in the air making air biscuits.

Cats are weird.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh what a sweetie! Have you tried the Drinkwell fountain? One of my cats loves it. The other thinks it's okay, but prefers a Dixie cup full of water to be left next to the sink. These were our compromises.

Kthrok

Tasmanian Kitteh
Registered
Reaction score
awwwww that kitty looks loike my old cat when i lived in texas he would drap himself around my neck like a scarf when i sat at my puter....had another cat that drank out of the tub like that as wellwe had to leave the tap running all the time so that she would drink water

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
What a great cat! We had a black one (Middy, short for Midnight) that also had his eccentricities. We also had tabbies and tortoise shells, and, while adorable, they didn't have too many memorable moments. Several years after Middy died, we went to the pound and found another that could have been his brother (named him Middy II). And don't you know he developed his own odd quirks. Must be something about black cats!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Thanks, everyone. I just find it funny that he comes to get me and, once in the bathtub, assumes "the position" and just stares at me until I turn the water on!
Do you ever turn it on full blast just to scare the heck out of him and see him run?

I would.

The thought makes me laugh.

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
Do you ever turn it on full blast just to scare the heck out of him and see him run?

I would.

The thought makes me laugh.

Nope. Never have. It's crossed my mind but I wouldn't do it simply for the reason that he trusts me and I don't ever want to give him a reason not to. He never runs away from me. I can hold him in any position I want or need to. I can stick my finger in his ears or mouth to examine him and he sits still for it. He lets me brush him and clip his back claws. He even lets me take him to the vet or on a harness to go for a walk. He's never struggled against me.

A couple of nights ago, he was creeping up on my foot and I didn't know it. When I moved my foot, it scared him and he raised up on his back legs and scurried back about six steps! I laughed so hard!:ROFL::popcorn:

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
What a beautiful cat! My shocked kitteh does something similar: whenever I go into my bedroom, she dashes into the bathroom and sits in the sink. She then stares at me and meows until I turn on the faucet. She then starts purring, twists her neck so her face is right under the faucet, and licks the drips with one paw in the air making air biscuits.

Cats are weird.

My cat follows me into the bathroom all the time and sits in the sink, too, when he's not in the bathtub. I think fun, unique cats like these are a testament to how they're raised. I have experience raising all kinds of animals and their temperaments are a testament to their owners.

Another odd thing my cat likes to do is sit in front of the oven and stare into the black glass on the door and watch what's going on behind him! I sneak up behind him. He sees and knows that I'm coming but he doesn't turn around until I scare him!

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
awwwww that kitty looks loike my old cat when i lived in texas he would drap himself around my neck like a scarf when i sat at my puter....had another cat that drank out of the tub like that as wellwe had to leave the tap running all the time so that she would drink water

He'd love one of those drinking fountain waterfall thingies but I won't buy one. They're ridiculously expensive and I hate the hum they make when you have to have them plugged in. (Yeah, I tried it but couldn't stand the hum. For $55 it shouldn't hum! LOL)

Feiss

Sleeps during the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your cat looks just like my Catface Meowmers!!!

Catface also has weird drinking habits, meaning he'll climb up onto the toilet and drink out of the bowl, which I find disgusting, and her babies have learned to do it too

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
he's gorgeous :) looks like my Shamir, I believe they're called Bombay. mine grew very large and muscular for a cat, incredibly agile too. I remember once he leapt nearly 5 yards (and I was watching him, sure he wouldn't get past me to jump out the window). he flew like a cheetah, all i saw was a blur.

my current companion also prefers to drink from the tap, even though she gets cool filtered water in her bowl every morning. must taste better somehow!

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
What I want to know is how housecats catch birds. That doesn't make sense to me, because birds can fly and cats can't. When birds land, they often land well outside the reach of any cat's jump. That implies that cats must be extremely stealthy and amazingly good climbers.

I'm glad they're small.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Ah, SP, I once witnessed my cat catch a bird. Basically, the presence of a predator near the nest will aggravate the bird. The bird will make annoying calls and try to get the cat to go away. Finally, it will actually swoop at the cat. At which point, the cat catches the bird. To me this was shocking. The dang bird flew right at my cat, and she jumped up and caught it, and ate it right there.

She would also go out and catch rabbits. Then she would leave half of the rabbit on the doorstep.