Writing realistic injuries

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks - I have a chapter lacking something, now I can contrive an accident!

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Thanks for the link -- I bookmarked it for later.

Another good basic resource I've used is the Red Cross First Aid and Safety manual.

In telling how to prevent and treat injuries, it gives depictions and pictures that can help trigger ideas on how to 'cause' them (fictionally -- of course) and write them more realistically.

It's also nice to have around the house -- just in case.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
Coolness! My characters are always getting the snot beaten out of them and it'll always be unrealistic because it's fantasy, but this should be interesting and useful. :D

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. My bad guy had a screwdriver jammed into his shoulder all the way to the handle. This will help with the internal injuries and long term blood loss.

dwellerofthedeep

Electric Alien Fish Machine
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely good. I checked over some of the scenes I've done before with this as a guide.

Thank god for regeneration...

thecraftteens

Registered
Reaction score
You're a life saver, Angela! That was one of the big problems in my manuscript. Thanks for the link!

Lep.

J C Coy

Registered
Reaction score
Sweet. I love hurting my characters. They hate me for it. :D

Thanks for posting.

JustGo

Digging through graves of giants
Registered
Reaction score
Nice! It's good to have a quick reference like that. I've got a good medical book for writers that goes into lots of detail (Body Trauma by David W. Page), but it can take forever to find and read through the parts you need. This is good and fast.

Thanks!

Melenka

Better is the enemy of done
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebeccakovar.com
Excellent site! I rely on my next door neighbor, who is a nurse, to tell me not only how to hurt them, but how they might go about patching themselves up without going to the hospital. Criminals tend to avoid those. She has been amazingly helpful - and when I cut my finger to the bone with a kitchen knife, she told me I was getting a little too involved in my research. One of the many reasons I love her. She also patched me up so I didn't have to go to the hospital - not because I'm a criminal but because the nearest one I will allow to treat me is 25 miles away.