• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Query Letter Beta Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letsplaydressup

Registered
Reaction score
I need to strengthen my Query letter without making it 10 pages long.

Is there anyone out there with good experience with them that would be willing to help me out?

Thanks

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Just post it and let us all have a go at it, as long as you are celerodermic.

Letsplaydressup

Registered
Reaction score
And I agree...the logical thing would be for me to post it...but honestly I'd like to get some private opinions before I embarass myself too much.

I specifically need people who have experience with dark urban fantasy...forgot to mention that the first time around.

ALG71

Defanged Hellraiser
Registered
Reaction score
In a place, at a time, where I sometimes ask mysel
Celerodermic. Couldn't find it on the merriam-webster website but "dermic" I would think pertains to skin.

And, once you've been around the site for a while you'll see people say if you're going to write and send your work out into the world (or here on AW for critique) that you have to be "thick-skinned". I'm guessing but I believe that's what it means.

Sorry, I don't know much about fantasy, so I'm not sure how much I could help. But you should read the "How to Write a Query Letter" thread. Write up a couple drafts of a query letter no longer than 1 page (not including the space you need for the agent/publisher's address at the top and your contact information at the bottom), and then post it in the SYW forum.

You shouldn't worry about embarrassing yourself. The people in that forum give some great advice and, at some point in their careers, they had to learn how to write a query letter, too.

EDIT to add: And, you should go to that forum and read some query letters also and see how their query letter improves as people give feedback. I know when I posted a query letter last year, it was horrible but it began to improve vastly with help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.