PDA

View Full Version : Not as young as I thought I was

Opty
07-24-2008, 04:40 AM
Well, I'm about 90% positive that I've torn my UCL in my elbow. That's the one that used to end MLB pitchers' careers. Hurt it about 3 weeks ago and it's not any better.

I was hoping it was just a sprain and I'd get over it but I'm starting to fear that it's a legitimate tear.

I'm scheduling a doctor's appointment tomorrow. Hopefully, I won't need surgery. Either way, though, it looks like I won't be doing much with this arm for the rest of the year.

I'm just venting but, damn it, stuff like this pisses me off.

Back to your regularly scheduled threads...

Mumut
07-24-2008, 05:42 AM
Hard luck, Opty. Does it affect your work or writing much?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
07-24-2008, 05:48 AM
There's not a day passes that I'm not reminded what a cavalier attitude I had toward my mother's arthritis pain. Gettin' old sucks... but it beats the alternative. Sorry 'bout that tear, Opty.

kct webber
07-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Super glue and duct tape. :)

Opty
07-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Hard luck, Opty. Does it affect your work or writing much?

Yeah, it's been hurting for nearly a month now. I hurts to even lift a plate of food or something that weighs more than a few pounds.

I haven't been in the mood to write lately so I guess it is affecting that, as well.

:(

Susie
07-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Sure sorry that happened, Opty and hoping you won't need surgery. :Hug2:

CBumpkin
07-24-2008, 10:36 AM
I hurts to even lift a plate of food or something that weighs more than a few pounds.

I haven't been in the mood to write lately so I guess it is affecting that, as well.

:(

How much food are you putting on your plate?! (Just kidding!) I'm sorry to hear you're in pain. Best wishes in getting well soon. You can tell everyone it's writer's elbow. ;)

dpaterso
07-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Pardon my ignorance, what's "UCL in my elbow"?

What you describe is close to what I've been feelin' for a couple of months now... I've no idea how I hurt whatever's in there, but even raising a cup to my mouth with my right hand is a recipe for pain, and the heavier the object the worse it is. Simple kitchen things like pouring a kettle or draining a pot are suddenly left-hand-only tasks.

Sorry for turning this into a "me me me" diversion. :) I'm just curious.

-Derek

Cassiopeia
07-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Pain is my friend. It reminds me I am still here. ;)

Hang in there. :)

billythrilly7th
07-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Well, I'm about 90% positive that I've torn my UCL in my elbow. That's the one that used to end MLB pitchers' careers.

There goes our season.

http://ultimaterecroom.com/library/w2918_YankeesPrintedRaschel.jpg

Hmmmmf.

Get well, Opt.

dageezer
07-24-2008, 12:00 PM

Ulnar Collateral Ligament. in simple terms, it's the elbow stabilizer.

I'm not a doctor or an anatomy expert of any kind, I ripped the transverse band of my UCL back in my hockey playing days. It's normally a throwing injury or as in my case, extention of the elbow in a fall. (I was a goalie and we had quite the slobberknocker going on in the crease and I took the worst of it.)

Depending on how severe the injury is and your body's recovery ability, it can take 3 to 15 months to fully recover. With some good physical therapy I was back on the ice in 4 months.

I have heard though, that you think that you've injured your UCL, it's better to go to a sports medicine doctor. They have more experience in the injury and it could be mis-diagnosed by a regular doctor.

There you have my plug nickel's worth of nonexpert, something that happened to me twenty years ago opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

dpaterso
07-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks, appreciate the info.

-Derek

dageezer
07-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Well, I'm about 90% positive that I've torn my UCL in my elbow. That's the one that used to end MLB pitchers' careers. Hurt it about 3 weeks ago and it's not any better.

What you describe is close to what I've been feelin' for a couple of months now... I've no idea how I hurt whatever's in there, but even raising a cup to my mouth with my right hand is a recipe for pain, and the heavier the object the worse it is. Simple kitchen things like pouring a kettle or draining a pot are suddenly left-hand-only tasks.

-Derek

Hopefully, both of you have Lateral Epicondylitis (more commonly known as Tennis Elbow) instead of an injured UCL. (I had that also, years later)

Either case, it hurts. I wish you both well.

JimmyB27
07-24-2008, 01:19 PM
You weren't alone in your ignorance. I was thinking 'University College London', but I'm pretty sure I don't have one of those in my elbow.

nerds
07-24-2008, 03:53 PM
You weren't alone in your ignorance. I was thinking 'University College London', but I'm pretty sure I don't have one of those in my elbow.

:ROFL:

Feel better, Opty. I'm falling apart in a general, random sort of way. The old bod ain't what it used to be, but then I've beaten it up pretty hard over the years with too much outdoor work. Good luck with the arm.

Maryn
07-24-2008, 04:52 PM
For what it's worth, I had what was probably a UCL injury last summer after catching myself with that arm in a fall. (So graceful!) Even though I'm old enough to heal more slowly than I used to, by May, ten months after the injury, I'd reached my present state, 90 to 95% of full function and almost no pain. So even if you've delayed, deferred, or won't ever get treatment, if you stop doing anything that hurts it at once, it does get lots better all by itself.

Maryn, working on her knuckleball

Opty
07-25-2008, 11:04 AM
I made an appointment with my regular doctor for monday, but I think I might cancel and go to an orthopedist instead. One of my friends works in sports medicine and gave me the name of someone she highly recommends. I have a PPO, so I can go without a referral.

I'm hoping the news isn't as bad as I'm thinking. I can't work out my upper body at all, and lifting weights is one of my favorite passtimes! Grr!

Thanks for all the kind words and advice everyone.

Ulnar Collateral Ligament. in simple terms, it's the elbow stabilizer.

I'm not a doctor or an anatomy expert of any kind, I ripped the transverse band of my UCL back in my hockey playing days. It's normally a throwing injury or as in my case, extention of the elbow in a fall. (I was a goalie and we had quite the slobberknocker going on in the crease and I took the worst of it.)

Depending on how severe the injury is and your body's recovery ability, it can take 3 to 15 months to fully recover. With some good physical therapy I was back on the ice in 4 months.

I have heard though, that you think that you've injured your UCL, it's better to go to a sports medicine doctor. They have more experience in the injury and it could be mis-diagnosed by a regular doctor.

There you have my plug nickel's worth of nonexpert, something that happened to me twenty years ago opinion. Take it for what it's worth.