The Wild Rumpus Bookstore

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
There's a children's bookstore near my house that's very unique. It's called the Wild Rumpus. Having the day off, I popped in and took a few pictures so people could see what it's like.

They have critters everywhere! Chickens, cats, chinchillas, ferrets, rats, tarantulas, lizards, doves, cockatiels, etc., All the animals are named after authors and literary figures. There's a Scary Shack inside and a workman who was accidentally plastered in the ceiling during construction! In the bathroom, the mirror is a fish aquarium. There is something to see everywhere you look! Great for inspiration and doing research with children, their parents and the employees, who are all very friendly.

The Wild Rumpus (See the smaller door inside the big door?)
CIMG0124.jpg

Olive and Pimento
CIMG0106.jpg

See the workman?
CIMG0094.jpg

Harry the Tarantula
CIMG0091.jpg

The Scary Shack. (Not so scary on the outside anymore since it's covered with photos of the many events from visiting authors!)
CIMG0100.jpg

The Rat in the Floorboards inside the Scary Shack.
CIMG0081.jpg

Something we can all relate to!
CIMG0070.jpg

Two manx cats and the two chickens.
CIMG0119.jpg

Storytime with Harold Bear and Olive the Chicken!
CIMG0122.jpg

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Oops. 'Very unique'? I was told unique is unique and can't be more so. But I see it more often now. Is it acceptable.

By the way, that bookstore is fantastic.

Quossum

Registered
Reaction score
THAT is one amazing shop! Those chickens are lovely Golden and Silver Seabright Bantams.

I found the shop's website here. It's in Minneapolis, which means I can't visit any time soon, but if I'm ever in the area...

Thanks for sharing!

--Q

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
Oops. 'Very unique'? I was told unique is unique and can't be more so. But I see it more often now. Is it acceptable.

By the way, that bookstore is fantastic.

Jenkies! Everyone's an editor! :tongue

It's acceptable in everyday conversation, but I wouldn't leave it in a manuscript. Technically, it's a "pleonasm." (An extra word that, when taken out of a sentence, doesn't change the meaning.)

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
THAT is one amazing shop! Those chickens are lovely Golden and Silver Seabright Bantams.

I found the shop's website here. It's in Minneapolis, which means I can't visit any time soon, but if I'm ever in the area...

Thanks for sharing!

--Q

I visited their website a few times over the years and could never understand why they don't have more pictures of the store on it. It's incredibly popular and they get a lot of author visits. I hope to be among them soon!

CIMG0105.jpg

CIMG0080.jpg

CIMG0073.jpg

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, the International Muse Society still deducts one writer karma point for every use of a modifier with "unique," and posts count.

However, they have given you five photographer karma points, so you're still in the black. ;)

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
What an amazing book store! If I ever get to Minneapolis I will definitely check it out. Actually that makes me want to go there right now! :roll:

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So cute! But the roving chickens seem a bit unhygienic! Are they litter-trained?
Named from Where The Wild Things Are, no? It reminds me of 826 Valencia in San Fran, the Pirate Supply Store/Children's tutoring and writing center. I love places that give kids (and overgrown kids like me) a sense of wonder! This is the kind of place where I would just lose my mind as a kid. Thanks for the virtual tour!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Too cool!! The workman plastered into the ceiling kind of gives me the creeps but that store looks like loads of fun. Wish we had something like that around here!!

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
The only messy spot in the store is by their food dish. The store is very clean and doesn't smell like animals at all. They've had all sorts of animals, but the chickens are by far the most popular.

Before Olive and Pimento, they had Elvis.

destop.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.