PDA

View Full Version : Different reaction to rejections in different genres?

KCathy
07-24-2008, 01:52 AM
I'm pretty proud of the fact that magazine article query rejections barely make a dent in my afternoon, much less my entire day anymore. I also got used to book query rejections pretty quickly.

Then I got two full book proposal rejections this week, and I feel CRUSHED. Ridiculously, full-on-pity-party, I'm-going-to-eat-worms-and-die, physical chest heaviness upset.

What the heck? I was so proud of myself for developing thick skin and now I'm being a big baby all over again. Maybe it's because I have sold some articles now, so I know I can do it. Rejection is no longer a negative personal value judgment. I haven't sold a book, though, so I worry that I'm not good enough. Sounds nice and Jungian, anyway.

Have you experienced getting used to one type of rejection, only to be knocked flat by a new kind?

regdog
07-24-2008, 02:30 AM
Don't take the rejection personally. There are a couple of posts in Goals and Accomplishments that are successes after being rejected 39 and 51 times. So don't give up and doubt yourself A cheer and hug for you

:e2cheer::Hug2:

soleary
07-24-2008, 03:43 AM
I simply pray to God to make more literary agents and publishers so I don't run out of runway :)!

nerds
07-24-2008, 03:52 AM
Maybe harder to take since a book is such a massive thing v. an article? More of an investment of heart/mind/soul/time. I don't know, just sayin'. In any event, don't let the bastids get ya down.

triceretops
07-24-2008, 05:43 AM
Yeah, it's damn weird. I've gotten six smalll press offers (contracts), and turned three of them down. They all rave about the books, also showing evidence of multiple reads and similar flattery.

But...this is after they've gone the agent sub route and been turned down by the biggies. So I'm stuck with wondering if all of these small editors are liars and feeding me some kind of pile, or they're inexperienced and don't know what they're talking about. The only solace I get is when my agent tells me that the biggies don't know what they're missing and I'm a hair's breath away.

Still, a hair's breath is still a mile away for me. I'm deciding that I fit somewhere in the middle. Like semi-pro.

Oh, well. Keep slinging ink. Increase your odds. If in fact, this is a game of numbers--the more books, the more opportunities.

tri

Bluestone
07-25-2008, 12:53 AM
Yes, it is crushing and I think you have every right to be disappointed. But learn from it. Were they the right avenues - either agents or publishers? Had you researched enough? Was your proposal polished or did it present the material in the most compelling way? Did you follow their guidelines?

I don't know what your proposal is about or other factors surrounding the rejection, so I may be off base on my comments, but there are always other approaches and different agents/publishers. It's disheartening, but you have to keep going and believe in yourself.

Good luck!