Cast iron cookware

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
So I stumbled on the site Bayou Classic Depot today and the prices for cast iron cookware seem quite reasonable. I haven't seen better prices elsewhere, although admittedly, I haven't looked altogether that hard. But I'm doing some serious salivating at their double-sided griddle, not to mention their Dutch ovens and pans. The shipping prices ain't cheap, though, which isn't that surprising given how heavy cast iron is. But, curse them, they only ship within the US of A. :( I'm seriously bummed.

Anyone know of a site for cast iron, reasonable prices, that does ship internationally? And just so you know, Amazon doesn't count. I checked. But I want cast iron so badly...

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not offhand, but I can think of some places you might include in your search. Since far fewer people use cast iron cookware in their homes than a generation ago, and since it lasts virtually forever, it doesn't sell well. A lot of stores no longer carry it at all. However, stores and websites catering to campers, trekkers, cabin-dwellers, and country living folks probably sell it.

I have no idea if this'll help, but at least it gives your thread a bump, eh?

Maryn, bumptacular at times

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Maryn, good ideas all. :) Thanks! :)

I know it lasts forever - my mother's had hers for longer than I've been alive, and I ain't young! If I were going to be in the US/Canada during the summer, I'd hit garage sales to collect what I want, but *shakes head* it won't work here.

Fahim's also started talking about us going to Singapore/Dubai sometime in the next few months on a shopping trip, so if that happens, then I'll definitely look while we're there if I don't have anything/enough in place by then. Meanwhile, the Internet it is. :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I'm not sure you'd do very well at garage sales, either, Laurie. People have a tendency to pass those down from generation to generation and won't give 'em up. There's usually one member in every family who latches on to the stuff and disappears into the night. I lost my mother's BIG chicken fryer to a domestic accident and went on The Quest to find one to replace it - hoping to get one nicely seasoned just like hers. I did find one at an antique mall... they wanted $300 for it!

I wept.

Good luck in the search, though! I'll poke around a little and see what I can find, too, in the way of shippers.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Three hundred bucks? Egads!

In Canada, I saw cast iron stuff at garage sales. I didn't buy it since I had my own, and granted, it wasn't absolutely common, but I saw it often enough. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I found this place. It lists dozens of countries, but I don't know if it actually ships to them. http://www.castironcookware.com/

I wish I could use my cast iron skillets. I took them from my dad after he passed away, but we have one of those stupid electric stoves that uses headlights to heat and that takes FOREVER to heat anything up. Boiling water alone takes half an hour to even reach a simmer. I hate this thing.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Three hundred bucks? Egads!

In Canada, I saw cast iron stuff at garage sales. I didn't buy it since I had my own, and granted, it wasn't absolutely common, but I saw it often enough. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Might be. Everyone I know down here in Oklahoma hoards their cast iron like it's gold - which it is! :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I've gotten 2 cast iron skillets, one large and one small, for each of our kids not at thrift shops, antique stores, or garage sales but at estate sales. Oddly, when it's an estate sale, often it appears that only that absolutely cherry expensive items, and presumably memorabilia, have been taken by any survivors. Many held in the home of the deceased appear to have nearly everything in place just as the person lived with it, sans clutter and personal effects.

Or maybe they lived alone and died that way too, with no survivors. Who knows? Anyway, back to the thread...

Maryn, the friendliest of hijackers

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could use my cast iron skillets. I took them from my dad after he passed away, but we have one of those stupid electric stoves that uses headlights to heat and that takes FOREVER to heat anything up. Boiling water alone takes half an hour to even reach a simmer. I hate this thing.

I have one of those stoves too. I call it my Easy Bake Oven. Both the burners and the oven take for... ever!
I'd like to grab a cast iron griddle and dutch oven for camping though. They work great over a camp fire!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Any junk stores in your area? Also try Cabela's. They're an outfitting for sports people (hunting, fishing, that kind of sporting). They have all that camping items and since they're such a big company, I'd bet they ship overseas.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
What about Ebay?

I have three cast iron pans, two shallow ones, big and small, and a third passed down from my FIL, a straight sided 12" with a long wooden handle..

The kids got me a Dutch Oven a few Christmases ago but the inside is a little pebbly and food gets caught in it even when seasoned. I'll give it a chance since it's only a coupla years old. Maybe the interior will wear smooth with age?

Good luck with your search!