Query:Giving Away the Ending

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
I have read a great number of queries in SYW and even citiqued a few. I have noticed that a great many of the writers do not tell the outcome of their story in the query. They seem to feel that they are giving something away they shouldn't or are tantalyzing the agent into asking for more so they can learn the outcome of the story.

I say give the agent the entire picture. They are professionals and know what stories they can sell to a publisher. The resolution of the story (does the MC live or die, do they live happily ever after, do the bad guys get caught) determines what kind of story you are writing. Withholding the outcome of the story doesn't make the agent want to spend more time and effort to pry it out of you.

What do the agents really think?

Richard

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I thought, but I see so many trying to tantalyze the agent by not revealing the ending thinking it will make them so curious they have to ask for a partial or full.

Richard

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I think those people will soon learn that agents don't have time to deal with them. An agent needs to know the ending, to know if the story is viable -- or even complete.

Have you considered that some authors withhold the ending only when they post on AW which is, after all, open to many members. Maybe they're scared of having their stories stolen.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Actually I will have to disagree here. All the agent blogs I look at, especially when they dissect queries, show endings akin to "but first Angela must face her fear of heights, or she will never be able to kill that mouse." I have always read that when it came to QUERIES you end with a bit of a cliffhanger ending showing where the story will probably go. In SYNOPSES you tell everything.

I don't know why. I'm not sure it matters that much. But it's the tradition I have noted in all query letters I have read, from both published and unpublished authors.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends on what you call "the query".

If you're talking about the query letter and the tiny blurb that goes therein, then my experience is that you don't need to give a full-indepth description of the book. Just a tease-line has always been sufficent for me to get a request for a full off just a one page query.

If you're talking about something in addition to the letter, like a synopsis of any length, then you most definitely need to include the outcome of the book.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Actually I will have to disagree here. All the agent blogs I look at, especially when they dissect queries, show endings akin to "but first Angela must face her fear of heights, or she will never be able to kill that mouse." I have always read that when it came to QUERIES you end with a bit of a cliffhanger ending showing where the story will probably go. In SYNOPSES you tell everything.

What Toothpaste Said. The query is a teaser--think the kind of plot teaser you see on the back of paperback books. The synopsis tells all.

- Victoria

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with toothpaste and victoria- the synopsis is the one you don't want to leave them hanging on- the query is as Victoria stated a teaser to get them interested- they don't want the whole plot just an idea of where you are going, most agents already assume the work is completed or you would not be sending it out to begin with.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
What Toothpaste, victoria, and shead said.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Have you considered that some authors withhold the ending only when they post on AW which is, after all, open to many members. Maybe they're scared of having their stories stolen.

Fabulous point!!!!! So my question is ..... what was post #2? It's deleted.....and I have a feeling it set the pace for the rest of the posts to follow.......hmmmmmmm?

So do we or don't we tell the ending? In private, of course, to the agent directly.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Um . . . I thought this thread already attempted to answer that question. Don't give away the ending in the query - think of it along the lines of the back cover of a book - but tell all in the synopsis.

As to post 2, I do not recall, but my post was responding to the OP.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Um . . . I thought this thread already attempted to answer that question. Don't give away the ending in the query - think of it along the lines of the back cover of a book - but tell all in the synopsis.

As to post 2, I do not recall, but my post was responding to the OP.

Ok, it's time for THE DUMBEST QUESTION OF THE DAY....are you ready??? Are you sure....it's pretty dumb.....here goes....

If the query is for the Agent, and the back cover of a book is for the readers/buyers (obviously), who the heck is the synopsis for????? If the ending is revealed in it....who wants to read it? Who's more important than the agent - that they need to know the ending?

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
No such things as dumb questions. We are talking about submitting to agents. Synopses happen at different stage from the query, but are always for the agent/editor, not the readers.

Basically it works like this. You send off a query letter to an agent. In it you give a taste of what your book is about, like the back cover copy of a book. If the agent goes, "Hmm this sounds interesting" they will ask you for the first 50 pages of your book to judge the quality of your writing, and they will also ask for a synopsis to judge the quality of your plotting, and story. If they like those 50 pages and synopsis then they will ask for the full manuscript.

Later if the agent signs you and sends your work to an editor, it is a slightly different process, but quite similar.

Last edited:

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
No such things as dumb questions. We are talking about submitting to agents. Synopses happen at different stage from the query, but are always for the agent/editor, not the readers.

Basically it works like this. You send off a query letter to an agent. In it you give a taste of what your book is about, like the back cover copy of a book. If the agent goes, "Hmm this sounds interesting" they will ask you for the first 50 pages of your book to judge the quality of your writing, and they will also ask for a synopsis to judge the quality of your plotting, and story. If they like those 50 pages and synopsis then they will ask for the full manuscript.

Yowsuhs......I better work on my plot. :) Thanks!

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Some agents will want a query and a very brief synopsis in the body of an email, in that case what I did was use a snappy query hook as an opening paragraph and then briefly outlined the novel in the main paragraph. I think that's the only time the ending was "given away" in the actual query itself.

Generally my format was Genre and Length info, Query hook, Synopsis if requested, First 5 - 30 pages if requested. If the agent didn't mention whether or not they wanted a sample of my writing, I'd just paste in the first five pages at the bottom of my email with a note mentioning it in the query.

I tried to keep my queries very short and business-like and as Pike and others have said, rather like the cover-flap of a novel.