Query pains

Letsplaydressup

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, got my first question answered. I'll try this one next.

I am horribly confused about Queries. I have read several examples and they all look very different.
My first question is how long--seems simple enough--around 3-5 pages double spaced seems to be the average number. However, I have also read that each chapter in the book should be briefed. Ok, when you have a 40+ chapter book, that goes way beyond 3-5 double spaced pages.
Detail--should I mention every chacter in the book, each and every event or should I just give a general idea? And what consitutes a general idea, a sentence, a few words.
Every time I sit down to work on the Query I feel like I am rewriting the book. I know to keep it basic but it just sounds absolutely stupid when I keep it to basic and then I have the problem of ratteling on the other way.
Egads...I need help.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
It sounds like you're confusing a query and a synopsis. Which one do you want to ask about?

A query is a short letter that briefly presents your book and yourself, in the hopes of getting an agent or publisher to ask for the manuscript.

A synopsis is a detailed retelling of the story, sort of like an outline, but written in paragraph form and with a better flow. The length can vary, depending on what the agent/editor wants. It's good to have a few versions available, so you don't have to produce one of the correct length in a sudden panic when asked for it.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
no.
A query letter is one page single spaced. It's a business letter. Sometimes you can get away with sending the first five pages of your novel or if it's email pasting the first five pages at the bottom of your email - check out the examples in the stickies here...

Letsplaydressup

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, you're right. I had Query on the brain when I wrote that. I meant SYNOPSIS...not Query...damn...told you those things give me hives.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, you're right. I had Query on the brain when I wrote that. I meant SYNOPSIS...not Query...damn...told you those things give me hives.

I know exactly what you mean. I write nonfiction and find it very difficult to write a synopsis--yes, some publishers ask nonfiction writers for a synopsis rather than a proposal.

I do my best to avoid your conundrum by using the following formula: An opening paragraph of some 5 to 10 sentences that serves as an overview of the work and briefly explains what each chapter is about. Thereafter, some details (2-4 sentences) about what makes each chapter's info interesting/fun.

I don't know how or if this would help with a synopsis for a work of fiction.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com