I've Got Divertriculosis! Whine, Whine

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
If I haven't whined enough around here this week, I thought I'd whine a little more. For a little over a week my guts have felt like I was getting ready to give birth to an alien with 12" claws. The pain was horrible! I started taking Tagament and some pain killers I have for my back, it was so damn bad. I figured since I had a doctors visit scheduled for today I'd just tough it out. I wasn't sure if it was the nuts I'd eaten at a party or I had been worrying myself sick about stuff....and then there was the alien thing. I remembered eating sunflower seeds months earlier and my stomach felt the same way for a few days.

I go to the doctor today and tell him I'm convinced he's going to have to perform a C-section to remove this alien child trying to claw it's way out, or just shoot me. Since my mother had bad divertriculosis and now my brother has it too, plus the symptoms and nuts, he said I have it. The only good thing is it's in the beginning stages (I'd hate to see the bad thing). He gave me antibiotics, told me to start taking plenty of fiber, avoid popcorn, seeds and nuts and my stomach should start feeling better. I should get a colonoscopy but since I've got no insurance and I'm sure it's expensive, that's out of the question for now.

Anyone out there got this crap and if you do how in the heck did you deal with it? Did it get better or just finally go away? Do you live with it forever? No more seeds, nuts or popcorn forever? Any diet suggestions?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Joyce.

First of all there is a difference between diverticulosis and diverticulitis.

I have diverticulosis. I found out when I had my colonoscopy. Apparently this affects about 50 percent of people over 50. My sister-in-law has it, too. The only thing we have to do is eat a high fiber diet.

But diverticulitis is more serious. I think it means you have an infection and need treatment. Hence, the antibiotics.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Last September, my husband was operated on for diverticulitis, which is the next stage in diverticulosis. He went to the ER on Aug. 25 and they did several rounds of antibiotics before deciding it needed surgical intervention. IIRC, the surgeon told me she removed about 4" of intestine (my memory's a little fuzzy because life got very chaotic at that time - we were buying a house, moving, on top of his getting sick.)

He was operated on Sept. 11 and released around the 20th. It was a loooong recovery for him - and since he also had new pouches forming, he's had to be careful with what he eats - and he has to have routine colonoscopies from now on - which he's thrilled about, as you can probably imagine.

Basically, he eats a LOT of high fiber foods - Fiber-One makes a whole line of cereals and granola bars that he likes. He eats Yo-Plus yogurt and a LOT of veggies (which is a huge thing for him - he would never touch them before he got sick)

And yes, he avoids all seeds and nuts now - won't eat popcorn, anything with poppy or sesame seeds. It was a little rough at first, but it's really not so bad because the restrictions are really pretty small (at least for him - he misses popcorn)

Believe me, it's worth it - the surgery is rough, but he was lucky. His went smoothly. If it doesn't, you end up with a colostomy until everything heals (about 3 months). We were fortunate with that - he didn't need it. And he was waaay young to have it as well (he was 36), but his doctor said they are seeing it in younger and younger people due to the crappy food we all eat.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never knew that about popcorn being bad for this. I would think it would help since it's high in fiber.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the quick responses and hope. Maybe I have them mixed up and have an itis instead of an osis.:D It didn't sound like I was going to die if I didn't get the colonosopy right now, so I must not be in horrible shape. I'm willing to add as much fiber as needed just to not have those horrible pains again. I figure if I can't afford the colonoscopy right now I sure can't afford surgery. Oh well, I guess I need to start eating healthy. I'm sure going to miss my sunflower seeds.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Thanks for the quick responses and hope. Maybe I have them mixed up and have an itis instead of an osis.:D It didn't sound like I was going to die if I didn't get the colonosopy right now, so I must not be in horrible shape. I'm willing to add as much fiber as needed just to not have those horrible pains again. I figure if I can't afford the colonoscopy right now I sure can't afford surgery. Oh well, I guess I need to start eating healthy. I'm sure going to miss my sunflower seeds.

I think you'd rather have diverticulosis - the -itis is the more serious one... :)

ETA - peanut butter is fine. You basically want to avoid anything that can get caught in the pouches and nuts and seeds are easily trapped.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted Joyce to know, too, that I have had stomach problems for years and years. I had been through many many tests and they never found anything wrong. And yet I continued to have pain not knowing why.

When you described than alien feeling (like an alien is inside you trying to get out), I thought: Yes! That's exactly what it feels like.

All I can say is, my impression was that I will be okay as long as I eat a high fiber diet.
No surgery or treatment was recommended.

I'm sure it's different for everyone.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Surgery is the last ditch, nothing else has worked, resolution. That's why Jersey Guy was hospitalized as long as he was - if they could get it under control with antibiotics and diet, he'd have been fine, but his was too far gone. He lost almost 40 pounds in the hospital because he was NPO. When they moved him to clear liquids, he boomeranged back to the beginning, when he was in the most pain I've ever seen him in.

They don't operate unless they REALLY have to, because recovery can be brutal and it takes 3 months without a colostomy. With a colostomy, recovery 6-9 months.

If a high fiber diet works for you, that's fantastic, really. You do not want the surgery if you can avoid it. It is different for everyone - my husband had a very severe case of it, and the doctors were amazed he hadn't had any attacks before that one. But he's had on and off stomach problems for years, which they think might have been earlier stages of it that we all just brushed off as "stomach trouble".

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, I wish I had some words that could help you feel better. I can only add hope you feel way better very soon, k. :Hug2: and sending good vibes and prayers your way.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
It's high in fiber, but it gets caught in the pouches and can cause inflammation. That's why seeds are off-limits as well.
I don't get this. Don't you guys CHEW your food? Wouldn't popcorn and seeds just be so much mush by the time it gets to your colon?

My brother just got out of the hospital for this.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
SF: I have a dear friend who works in a sewage treatment plant. Somethings just don't digest. The corn kernals amass to a significant amount when separated form the rest.
:D
Joyce, I hope you feel better. My friend who has it had to stay away from cola-type sodas and drink clear sodas instead. I don't know why, but that's what she said.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
SF: I have a dear friend who works in a sewage treatment plant. Somethings just don't digest. The corn kernals amass to a significant amount when separated form the rest.
:D
Yeah, corn. I know that. We were talking POPCORN. Unless you mean the little hulls that suction cup to the inside of your throat.

I'm surprised that no one has come up with a Colon Cleanse, like SaniFlush, or Draino, you know? Something that just cleans that whole baby out.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, corn. I know that. We were talking POPCORN. Unless you mean the little hulls that suction cup to the inside of your throat.

There are those kernels or whatever they're called that usually come out somewhere else during the digestive process. For people with pockets in their intestines, they can get trapped there.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com

I'm surprised that no one has come up with a Colon Cleanse, like SaniFlush, or Draino, you know? Something that just cleans that whole baby out.

There are several different types of colon cleaners. Psyllium is one of them. A health food/ vitamin store is a good place to find them, though I think some of the larger retailers still carry them in the metamucil section.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone but this morning I still feel like I'm going to give birth to a Haggis child with 12" claws. :)

These yours, Joyce?

chihuahua_harmelink.jpg

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
There are several different types of colon cleaners. Psyllium is one of them. A health food/ vitamin store is a good place to find them, though I think some of the larger retailers still carry them in the metamucil section.
http://www.iherb.com/Search.aspx?c=1&st=l&kw=psyllium+husk
a link for said psyllium at a great price, better than your local health food stores. good stuff :)

I love this site, in general, for vitamins.

These yours, Joyce?

chihuahua_harmelink.jpg
Soooooo cute, Haggis :D

Now, I know what you're up to in your spare time...

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Isn't that what Metamucil is?

But those are bulk fiber laxatives (depending on how you use them).

I was being facetious and talking about having some kind of chemical that blasts it clean like acid.

Maybe an over-the-counter product like that nasty vile stuff they give you before your colonoscopy. Bet that will clean it all out.

ETA: I might add that increasing your fiber also had the unpleasant and anti-social effect of increased flatulence.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oooh... that stuff is horrible! Just ask Jersey Guy - he almost barfed trying to drink the stuff he had to drink before his colonoscopy...

I remember the doctor trying to make me drink that crap when I was pregnant. Some people like it but I think it's horrible! I'd rather take my fiber in pill form if I can't eat it. If you don't drink that stuff in three seconds it turns into some jell substance that will really make you gag. I went grocery shopping today and tried to buy some things with fiber in it. I'll be sooooooo glad when this pain goes away. I swear here and now I'll never eat nuts again.:)