How Do You Handle Strange Reader Emails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

I'm a columnist with a Christian mag and I got a strange email about one of my articles tonight. The article that I wrote in that paticular column was about stress and finding comfort from God. The email in a nutshell was that the reader was glad that I had found comfort from God but I should consider medication because sometimes even religious people end up hanging themselves. Which could be taken as concern I suppose but it just came across disturbing to me.

The email wasn't what scared me as much as that this email is my private email - only my agent, family and friends have it. I googled the person and they are a well respected journalist but nonetheless, it scared me because in my bios somehow my city is intertwined. I never gave it any thought before tonight. I also work for a tv network so I'm sure that my name and work email has been seen and is easy to find but the personal email I don't understand how someone could locate so easily. It really wouldn't have phased me that much if it went to my work email.

How do or how would you handle this? I know I'm not going to respond. I'm just shaken up though. And in a related since, how do we writers protect ourselves online when our names are plastered on the web?

Any advice or comforting words greatly apprecited!
Thanks!

Cookie:e2cookie:

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Mods - am I in the right place? I couldn't figure out where to post this.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Well...

If you've ever posted your personal email anywhere on the Internet (here, for example), a search engine will bring it up. But even if you haven't, I imagine that a person with access to one of the many pay-per-search services could get ahold of it. I don't know, of course, because I'm not a journalist, but if the company for which this person works maintains a subscription to such a service, it could be as easy as a few mouse clicks to get the data.

I might also be tempted to question the identity of the person sending the email. For someone who has a little computer expertise, it's quite possible to mask emails -- make them appear to come from someplace, or someone, other than the sender.

I think the email would disturb me, too, partly because it doesn't sound typical of a professional and respected journalist. There are, after all, polite forms of expressing concern, and it would have been appropriate to send an email to your workplace stating that the author was concerned that medical treatment for stress might be neglected if spiritual treatment were favored. Instead, you have a person who is evading boundaries on several fronts, and (if the original phraseology used was as crude as the summary) displaying a serious lack of professionalism.

Like you, I would not answer the e-mail, but I would not delete it, either, and if there is any further contact from this person, I would start printing copies of anything received for the sake of keeping records. This may have been a simple act of poor judgment on the part of someone with easy access to information; it may have been the response of someone who wasn't particularly sober at the moment of pressing the Send button. It's very unlikely that you will hear anything further or need to take any other actions, but if you ever need a record, it's good to have one.

So sorry this popped up in your day....

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks LC. I'm trying not to get too worked up but, it really makes you think about all the times you have had a bio somewhere that had a tidbit about your location or family. I had the strangest feeling last week that I should have editors remove any location info or related info. I've definitly learned a lesson here - one I didn't want to have to learn.

God bless and thanks for your advice. =)

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
It's still very easy to get personal data via the 'net. It's much harder to keep private than most people realize.

That said, I'm with L.C. -- don't delete the email, save it in a special folder, just in case, so you can find it easily.

However, to play devil's advocate for a moment -- there's always the possibility that the emailer just wanted to send you a note and that's the email they got when they Googled or whatever. Since Tom Cruise spoke up about his beliefs, I think more people feel they either have the right or the obligation to shout to others either to do or not do medications for mental illness, stress, etc. It could just be that -- this person is firmly on the side of 'take the drugs' and feels you're not, and is, in their way, witnessing for the pharmaceuticals.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Brookie that's just creepy! I hope you never hear from this guy again.

Kryianna

Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! Definitely keep a copy of the email, just in case.

I'm a web developer by day, and know first hand what all can be found online. Because of that, I'm paranoid about privacy. I'm not "out" on the internet as myself anywhere. When I become a published author, I plan on using a pen name for everything. There's too many creeps and weirdos out there. I don't want someone finding me or my family.

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. All great advice. When I first began writing, I thought nothing about bios at all. I didn't realize that it would turn in to the career it is today - so I thought, what's one bio? And then the more it grew - it was like a giant snowball and it was too late for a pen name. My editor for the mag got with me this morning and he said not to worry too much about it. He saw the actual email and said that it appeared to be a crude way of showing concern - which I'm still wigged out - but the IT gut said that since the person didn't concel their identity. Gave their name and all - and their personal info for their own business is on the web, that that was a good sign. He said normally someone with intent to harm would conceal themselves.

Of course, I'm still creeped out - but I'm taking away a lesson - be careful on the web. All of you who are just growing in writing, write your bios and such with the promise that things will grow. One bio will turn into another and another and then, be copied and pasted. Have a pen name for online work. Let's all use my strange encounter as a lesson to be safe!

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
And hey, I just noticed my sig line . . . =) . . . I'm preaching to myself today!

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
Did you allude to suicide in your article? Because that's the weird part about the note--you're talking about stress and they're talking about suicide.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Strange reader emails?

Heh.

Heheheh.

Someday, we'll have to swap. :D

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Definitly no talk of suicide in the article. It was about anxiety but I thought that I had summed up for the readers at the end that it was fleeting. It talked about fear ane perhaps, if someone did suffer with a mental illness it might have been relatable to them - perhaps, that's how the anxiety made them feel. But, all of my articles end on a good note - it's always how a problem was solved through God. That's what my whole column is about.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
You are not alone. Save the email in case it's needed later. Do not respond. And try not to worry about it.

Keyboard

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
I think there are many possible interpretations of any piece of writing, and this fellow's is clearly different from yours. I don't see anything ominous or sinister or worrisome. I've gotten plenty of strange responses to my own book . . . I'd just let it go.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Honestly, exactly what Keyboard recommends - save the email with full headers. Forget about it unless something else happens.

Death threats go straight to the cops, though.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Well...

If you've ever posted your personal email anywhere on the Internet (here, for example), a search engine will bring it up. But even if you haven't, I imagine that a person with access to one of the many pay-per-search services could get ahold of it. I don't know, of course, because I'm not a journalist, but if the company for which this person works maintains a subscription to such a service, it could be as easy as a few mouse clicks to get the data.
I agree, it can be virtually impossible to determine how someone got some info about you. It's also good to remove anything that you may have concern about (the OP mentioned location), but keep in mind that removing something from a webpage does NOT totally remove it from the Internet, it just makes it harder to get to. Most anything posted on a webpage gets saved and archived somewhere, and it's often made available from somewhere else for a very long time.
I might also be tempted to question the identity of the person sending the email. For someone who has a little computer expertise, it's quite possible to mask emails -- make them appear to come from someplace, or someone, other than the sender.
Now that's a point that could explain both the unprofessional-sounding nature of the letter AND that it went to her personal email. It could have actually been a relative/friend/aquaintance who wrote the email (thus, they already know OP's personal email address, but didn't think about that not being the "right" address to send such an email to for commenting on a published article), pretending to be this "respected journalist."
Like you, I would not answer the e-mail, but I would not delete it, either, and if there is any further contact from this person, I would start printing copies of anything received for the sake of keeping records. This may have been a simple act of poor judgment on the part of someone with easy access to information; it may have been the response of someone who wasn't particularly sober at the moment of pressing the Send button. It's very unlikely that you will hear anything further or need to take any other actions, but if you ever need a record, it's good to have one.

So sorry this popped up in your day....

I agree about saving and printing - Id also print it with "full headers" so the real source of the email can be determined. Headers can be forged as well, but it's not as easy as forging someone else's email address in the From: field, and my guess is this person wouldn't even think of that. In Thunderbird (which appears to be something like Outlook/Outlook Express) you can select the email and do View->Message Source, and it shows all the headers as well as the email body, and THAT is what you should print out. The headers have an IP address (well, they have several, but one is the originating point) that when decoded usually tells the ISP and city, or organization (such as a university) the email came from. If that doesn't jibe with the area where this reporter lives, and/or it DOES jibe with where some aquaintance of the OP lives, then, well, things get interesting...

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
This person was probably just trying to mock you in a very mean spirited way. If you're worried, then get a new email address. They probably aren't who they say they are, or the name is a coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.