Aussie Damper

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
I posted this on my blog yesterday, and thought I would share it here.

I was asked the other day, “What was one of the most memorable things you came across in your research of Australian Flavour?” The first thing I thought of was a quote taken from an early Australian journal. After reading a few lines I almost skipped what makes the following statement memorable.

Damper

“A bushman’s recipe, which some people swear by and others swear at. Make a hole in some flour in a ration bag, pour in a quart pot of boiling water and stir it with a stick until you have a lump of dough, which you lift out from the surrounding flour, slightly flatten and bake in the ashes. A more luxurious way to mix it is to take off your leather legging and mix it on that, or a piece of bark.”

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Using water in which the potatoes were boiled is a way of giving it extra flavour and consistency.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Jam Tin Damper

This recipe uses a jam tin, which needs to be cleaned, and have the label removed. The oil tin is then half filled with self-raising flour which has been mixed with a pinch of salt, and enough water to form a stiff dough. The tin is then placed in a very hot oven until the bread turns a golden brown.

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
We made it once and cooked it on a stick over a fire outside. It was delicious!

We had a damper making competition during our Year 10 school camp. My friend and I cooked ours on a large, alfoil wrapped stick, then the inside of the damper was smeared in butter and stuffed with marshmallows and a generous drizzling of melted milk chocolate.

We won. :D

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
We had a damper making competition during our Year 10 school camp. My friend and I cooked ours on a large, alfoil wrapped stick, then the inside of the damper was smeared in butter and stuffed with marshmallows and a generous drizzling of melted milk chocolate.

We won. :D

Marshmallows? Oooh I don't know about that! Sounds a bit wicked to me!

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Mind you, the original quote would have definitely been tounge-in-cheek.

The quote seems to be from a 1911 cookbook, that also contained very snobbish recipes like the good old 'carpet bag' steaks. (Why someone would stuff oysters INSIDE a steak is beyond me)

Mac

Jo

Registered
Reaction score
Marshmallows? Oooh I don't know about that! Sounds a bit wicked to me!
You reckon we could get it off the female teachers who were taste-testing? :tongue It was crispy on the outside, and doughy, gooey and rich on the inside--great camp food, especially for teenagers (and female teachers...). You could probably sprinkle in a few peanuts for crunch, too. Then it'd be the rocky road of dampers.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Mind you, the original quote would have definitely been tounge-in-cheek.

The quote seems to be from a 1911 cookbook, that also contained very snobbish recipes like the good old 'carpet bag' steaks. (Why someone would stuff oysters INSIDE a steak is beyond me)

Mac

Carpet bag steak is actually nice - assuming you like oysters. It was also the main discovery I made. Americans have attributed the recipe to them, but it appears that Australia had a printed recipe of it at least 40 years earlier than our American friends.

Jo

Registered
Reaction score
I use salt, but I'm not sure if it's routinely used in a basic damper. The damper I make is like a scone mix, with one teaspoon of salt (or half a teaspoon for a lighter loaf), 3 cups of SR flour, 20g melted butter, 150ml milk and 130ml water. For flavour variations, I add 1/4 cup cooked, diced bacon and 2 tbs chives, or 1/4 cup cheese and 2 tsp mixed herbs, or 1/4 cup rolled oats and 2 tbs honey.

Jo

Registered
Reaction score
It is! SR flour is Self Raising Flour--flour with the raising agents like baking powder--baking soda and cream of tartar--already in it.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The first post was taken from the journal as is, but salt is in all real damper. Salt, water, plain flour is the basic recipe..today, milk, or self raising flour (1 cup of plain flour and 1 teaspoon baking powder make self raising flour)

KC Sunshine

Registered
Reaction score
We made damper on Grade 3 school camp. So soft and gooey inside, crispy and delicious outside. It's really good when it gets a little bit burnt to.

You definitely have to make it yourself- I hate that damper bread you can get from the bakery and the supermarket. They think because it's soft and has flour on it that it's damper. But it aint!!!

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hmm. I've tried honey, but not golden syrup.

Try vegemite, after a little butter
icon10.gif

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Here's another;

Burdekin Duck

Although one would expect it to include some form of fowl due to its name, none is present. The meal was developed by early settlers who lived along the Burdekin River in Queensland, Australia. The only ingredients were damper dough, made rather damp, and corn beef, which was wrapped in the dough mixture and fried to a golden brown colour.