PDA

View Full Version : Dateline NBC Tonight

Carole
07-21-2008, 09:06 PM
This might be interesting TV tonight. Dateline NBC is doing a piece on cellphone tower workers, also known as "Tower Dogs". This is what my hubby does for a living. OSHA determined that this job is the most dangerous in America right now based on the number of deaths in the line of work. Creepy. Not sure I will be able to watch, but I'm gonna try.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25736991/

nerds
07-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Wow. Will check it out tonight.

Unique
07-21-2008, 10:04 PM
OSHA determined that this job is the most dangerous in America right now based on the number of deaths in the line of work.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25736991/

I saw an article on Yahoo about that. I decided I liked you too much to share it.

May he always rise to the occasion and take his sweet time coming down. :)

Shadow_Ferret
07-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Why would that be any more dangerous than any other worker who climbs transmission towers?

Carole
07-22-2008, 07:31 AM
"The most dangerous job in America" is based on the number of men killed per capita in any given year.

I'm officially sick now, by the way. I wish I hadn't watched it. Of course I've heard all the stories and most of them are much more frightening than anything I saw on that show tonight, but seeing it also made it more real. It seems like yesterday, but it was, I think, two years ago that hubby's company lost one of their younger guys when he fell. Little Mikey, they called him, and he was like everyone's little brother. He was very young, probably 20 or 21, like the guy they showed tonight on the show who died. Since OSHA couldn't show equipment failure, his family got nothing - no life insurance or anything. The owner of the company stepped in and paid for his funeral and paid off his debt.

From what I saw tonight and what I've heard for the past ten years, there are two primary reasons for this being such a dangerous job. First, there is carelessness and they have all been guilty of it before. Mr. Vagabond used to free-climb (not tied off to anything) all the time. They all did until the year when several men were killed within a few weeks of each other. OSHA stepped in and upped the safety standards. Now they have to be 100% tied off 100% of the time. It makes for a slower climb which brings us to reason #2 for so many deaths and that is the person on the ground screaming about how it's not going fast enough. Thankfully, most of the time Mr. Vagabond is an inspector which means he is climbing, taking pictures, measuring things, fixing things that can be fixed by one man and sometimes fixing things that actually need two men. When he is inspecting, he is always the crew boss even though he is the one in the air. When they have other work to do besides inspections, he is also usually the crew boss. He knows how to be safe and knows how to make sure his guys are safe as long as they do what they are trained to do and listen to him.

Being the wife of one of these guys isn't unlike being the wife of a firefighter, policeman or soldier. In the back of your head you always wonder if one day you'll get that call.