PDA

View Full Version : Awkward conversations with parents

Mystic Blossom
07-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Mine is only mildly related to writing. My dad's a dentist and has a patient who recently got a contract with some major publishing house. Few minutes ago, dad called me up.

Dad: You know (name of guy who got published)?
Me: Yeah.
Dad: Well, he wants to know if you can read a manuscript he wrote, tell him what you think.
Me: I barely have time between work and my internship to write my own manuscript, but if he can possibly help me out with publishing, sure (hey, I'm shrewd. Sue me).
Him: Okay, I'll ask him. He's a good guy, you know. He's teaching me how to fight.
Me: He...huh?
Him: Teaching me how to fight.
Me: Fight what?
Him: People!
Me: ...in what style?
Him: Extreme fighting.
Me: What?
Him: You know, cage fighting. Two men go into this metal cage, and all they have to defend themselves is a pair of gloves.
Me: .......

darrtwish
07-21-2008, 08:13 PM
I've never had an awkward conversation with either of my parents. We're open about everything. I can talk to them about absolutely anything and never have an awkward moment. I have been laughed at when I was dead serious though.

auntybug
07-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Mom...Dad..I'm pregnant.

Lock Thread. ;)

Kitrianna
07-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Mom...Dad..I'm pregnant.

Lock Thread. ;)

been there done that, but I got them seperately. Thank God!

Pagey's_Girl
07-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Cage match? :eek:

With my father, any conversation could be awkward....

Me: I just got a new job within the (company he used to work at too.)
Him: Where?
Me: Supporting (name of person)
Him: Oh yeah, that lousy ********ing ******* who stole my (insert whatever here) and got me passed over for a raise back in '67.....

My mom, though, is cool. Nothing fazes her.

pconsidine
07-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Of many awkward conversations with my parents, the one I remember most is when my mother told me that she and my dad could join holy orders without having to get divorced. She happily explained that their ordination vows would supersede their marriage vows, where applicable, but that otherwise they'd still be married in the eyes of the church.

I still have no idea either what prompted them to look into it or her to share it with me, but am I wrong in finding that a little odd?

Kitrianna
07-21-2008, 09:02 PM
In a word? Yes.

Tink
07-21-2008, 09:05 PM
I never had but one awkward conversation with my mom, none with Dad, but the one with my mom was a lessoned I wished I hadn't have learned...
Mom: You can talk to me anytime about anything.
me: Thanks Mom, I love you.
Mom: yeah, me too.
Me: Mom, why don't you ever tell me you love me back when I tell you I love you.
Mom: *&^&*%$# (*&% *&*$#^&* *&$#&* &^&$*()0
Me: *slowly backs away from Irrate woman and rapidly leaves the room*

pconsidine
07-21-2008, 09:08 PM
In a word? Yes.Yes, I'm wrong or yes, it's odd? Or yes, you've had awkward conversations with your parents and your reply has nothing at all to do with my post?

Kitrianna
07-21-2008, 09:11 PM
It's extremely odd. *shakes her head* you'll have to pardon me...I often assume that everyone else understands how my mind works. I don't go from point a to b to c to d...I go directly from a to d and expect everyone else to follow :shrug:

Tink
07-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Yes, I'm wrong or yes, it's odd? Or yes, you've had awkward conversations with your parents and your reply has nothing at all to do with my post?
I am not Kit but let me share. No you aren't wrong and yes, to me, it does seem a tad bit odd to come out of the blue with info like that...

Were they looking into other churches/sects at the time that You were made aware of by your parents? If so, no, not so odd but if you were in the dark about the origin of what started the discussion... than deffinately ODD.

pconsidine
07-21-2008, 09:20 PM
It's possible that the subject came up when my siblings and I were joking about starting a campaign to have my mother elected Pope some years ago. We had found out that there's no rule that the Pope has to be a priest and thought it would be fun to make t-shirts with the Top Ten Reasons Mom Should be Pope. I think what threw me (and continues to throw me) is that she came up with that information so quickly.

In case anyone was wondering how I came to be me...

Gravity
07-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Awkward conversations with my folks were de rigeur when I was growing up. So I just swallowed it back and internalized everything, trusting I could deal with it later. So far, "later" hasn't arrived. And I'm 56.

TALK with your folks. "No talk" is light-years worse than "bad talk"...believe it.

NeuroFizz
07-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Me: Mom, I love you.
Her: . . . .
Me: Dad, I love you, too.
Him: . . . .
Me: I miss you guys. You have two beautiful grandchildren here. I wish you could have met them.

[No matter how much you are weirded out by your parents, there will come a day when you can only have the ultimate kind of one-way conversation with them.]

Alpha Echo
07-21-2008, 11:58 PM
I have to say, Mystic, thank you for sharing. YOu seriously made me smile for the first - and possibly only - time today. How very odd...the image of a middleaged man...even as young as my dad at 47 - learning to CAGE FIGHT? Wow. Wow.

Awkward conversations...hmmm...other than the sex talk?

Mom: I have to tell you children something.
Us: what, mom?
Mom: Your father and I will be getting a divorce.
Us: *amidst sniffles and tears* why?
Mom: He's in love with someone else.

maestrowork
07-22-2008, 12:00 AM
This would have been awkward:

Dad: Son, you write romantic stuff, right?
Me: Yeah. Sort of. More like drama with a romantic plot theme...
Dad: I'm working on something and I got to a sticking point. Care to help another writer out?
Me: Sure. What is it? Romantic quarrels? Sexual tension (awkward)...?
Dad: See, these two guys are in love, and they're going to do it. Do you know anything about gay sex? I want to make it really realistic. Bodily fluids and all.
Me: .....

Thank goodness he's not a writer. ;)

jennontheisland
07-22-2008, 12:04 AM
MIL brought me back all kinds of shoes after one trip to Vegas. I'm not a shoe girl, and one pair was particularly hideous. I was describing them to my mom and explaining there was no way I could ever wear them out of the house.

Her reply: You could always just wear them in the bedroom. Play dress up. *wink*

skelly
07-22-2008, 03:02 AM
Mom, I love you.
. . . .
Dad, I love you, too.
. . . .
I miss you guys. You have two beautiful grandchildren here. I wish you could have met them.
That's a pretty damn good poem, my friend.

TerzaRima
07-22-2008, 06:47 AM
Terza's Mom: I was in the salon the other day and a woman said she wanted a Brazilian. What IS that?

Terza: (tries to change subject) Mom it's a kind of bikini wax. How's Dad?

She was pretty persistent, practically refused to believed me when I explained in greater detail, wanted to know WHY anyone would want such a thing, and that was a pretty awkward conversation, I tell you what.

Judg
07-22-2008, 07:04 AM
MIL brought me back all kinds of shoes after one trip to Vegas. I'm not a shoe girl, and one pair was particularly hideous. I was describing them to my mom and explaining there was no way I could ever wear them out of the house.

Her reply: You could always just wear them in the bedroom. Play dress up. *wink*
Sweet revenge for all the times our kids make us cringe when flaunting their sexuality... I have a couple of lines saved up. Hehehe

Melenka
07-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Me: Mom, you just celebrated your thirteenth anniversary, right?
Mom: Yes.
Me: Well it's March.
Mom: We got married in March, so that follows.
Me: I'm going to turn thirteen in August.
Pause.
Pause.
Mom: Are you asking if I married your father because I was pregnant with you?
Me: Well...yes.
Mom: No. I married your father two weeks after my divorce came through. And for the record, you would have been born either way.
Me: Well that follows, too.

Alexandra Little
07-22-2008, 08:23 AM
We went to my doctor to get a new pill prescription to regulate my period and we're discussing my (lack of) sexual history.

Doctor: *laughing* well, I don't think you're pregnant.
Me: Good God, no. My parents would kill me if I got pregnant.
Mom: Well, we wouldn't *kill* you...

Or when we were talking about my writing.

Dad: What are your chances of making money in publishing?
Me: Well, if I wanted to make money, I'd write romance. Especially erotic romance...er, nevermind. I'm not discussing it with you guys.
Mom: You used to write that stuff.
Me: ...how do you know that?
Mom: you left papers on your desk a few years ago.
Me: *frantically thinks of what I was writing three years ago*
Dad: I think I'm going to go in the other room now.

z10
07-22-2008, 08:32 AM
it was difficult speaking to my parents from greece after i eloped there with the love of my life

txgrl
07-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Two words:
First date.

maestrowork
07-22-2008, 09:27 AM
OK, seriously. Last month when I was visiting, my dad sat me down and talked to me for an hour about what they'd like to have done (cremation, etc.) when they finally kick the bucket.

Way too heavy over ice cream sundaes and gummy bears, if you ask me.

kristie911
07-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Last week...

Mom: You get out of work at 2am?

Me: Yes.

Mom: You want me to put your dog in the house for you?

[just a note: I live next door...not actually with my parents! And they take care of my dog when I'm working]

Me: No, just keep him and I'll call him in the morning.

Mom: But you'll be home at 2am and he'd rather be at your house.

Me: (hesitant) Just keep him tonight.

Mom: But you'll be home at 2.

Me: No, I won't be...I'll be home in the morning.

I'm 32 and it still embarasses us both when my mom realizes I'm not coming home but staying at my boyfriends house.

YES MOM...I HAVE SEX!!

*runs and hides*

Priene
07-22-2008, 01:13 PM
'Mum, Dad, I'm in a mess and I'm dropping out of university.'

That conversation was a blast.

Pagey's_Girl
07-22-2008, 04:47 PM
OK, seriously. Last month when I was visiting, my dad sat me down and talked to me for an hour about what they'd like to have done (cremation, etc.) when they finally kick the bucket.

Way too heavy over ice cream sundaes and gummy bears, if you ask me.

Just be glad they talked to you about it at all. My mom and I were lucky to get that much information out of my father. He also refused to make out a will or anything, so if she hadn't arranged things so that most of the accounts were in her name as well, it would have been - very messy. (He'd "forgotten" about several shares of stock, never had them put in both names and what a mess that was... :eek:) I hate to think what it would have been like had there been other siblings fighting over the estate.

Clair Dickson
07-22-2008, 05:46 PM
The conversation shortly before my wedding (and my first time.) Mom was telling me that it was gonna hurt and that my Hubby should go easy... okay, I could deal with that.

It was the part where she told me that my Dad was a little too rough with her their first time... :eek: