PDA

View Full Version : Gun Advice

chevbrock
07-21-2008, 03:42 PM
I want a nice, light, fairly accurate handgun for my character. I was thinking a Glock. Am I on the right track?

Robert Toy
07-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Yup, the Glock 17 is the smallest in the 9mm range.

JJ Cooper
07-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Yep Glock 17. If the story is in Australia also consider the 9mm Browning.

JJ

The Grift
07-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Yup, the Glock 17 is the smallest in the 9mm range.

No, it's not. It's a full-sized full-framed handgun. When it came out, the Glock 17 held more rounds than any other comparable handgun of the same caliber. Glock even makes two models of 9mm smaller than the 17. The 19 and the 26.

The Glock 17 is a fine handgun for your purposes, but definitely not the smallest or lightest 9mm. And accuracy is a function of the individual shooter's comfort with that gun. Some people shoot SiGs better than Glocks, some people shoot a sub-compact better than a tactical-length weapon. Most modern handguns from a reputable manufacturer shoot a better group than most shooters could ever shoot anyway.

In general, polymer framed handguns will be lighter than metal.

RJK
07-21-2008, 06:15 PM
You need to answer a few other questions:
What is your character planning to do with the gun?
How large or small should it be? (the length of the barrel is directly proportional to the accuracy)
A 9mm is a good all-around handgun with good stopping and killing power, but a .22 cal. with a four inch barrel makes an excellent assassin's gun, but you could probably pump several rounds into a person before you slowed him down. On the other hand, I've been to an autopsy where a .22 was used. The guy was shot in the side of the head. the bullet went in, bounced around a few times and came to rest inside the skull. Made a mess of the guy's brain.

JimmyB27
07-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Can you not just refer to it as 'his gun'?

Robert Toy
07-21-2008, 06:53 PM
No, it's not. It's a full-sized full-framed handgun. When it came out, the Glock 17 held more rounds than any other comparable handgun of the same caliber. Glock even makes two models of 9mm smaller than the 17. The 19 and the 26.

The Glock 17 is a fine handgun for your purposes, but definitely not the smallest or lightest 9mm. And accuracy is a function of the individual shooter's comfort with that gun. Some people shoot SiGs better than Glocks, some people shoot a sub-compact better than a tactical-length weapon. Most modern handguns from a reputable manufacturer shoot a better group than most shooters could ever shoot anyway.

In general, polymer framed handguns will be lighter than metal.
You're corect the 26 is the "baby".

chevbrock
07-22-2008, 09:48 AM
The gun will only really feature in a couple of scenes. I just wanted a picture of what it would look like for description purposes. Australian coppers now carry Glocks, and they look quite "sexy" for a gun, which is why I thought that it would be a good choice. Knowing its calibre may also help, too.

Having a Glock may be helpful, also, because I thought up a way of making the gun legally issued through the police system, but just lost in so much paperwork that tracking it down would take years.

The only scene I have written involving the gun, to date, is where the character shoots at a wall. I wanted something fairly accurate because I want him to worry about the shot damaging water pipes and wiring (it's his mate's house).

How important is the gun, therefore? Not important enough to warrant this much debate about it! :) Though, I thank you all for your input.

Phil DeBlanque
07-22-2008, 08:08 PM
If I'm not late, can I suggest take a look at the Taurus? Most of the new models have a two-tone finish that can be considered quite elegant. Take a look at "products" at their website, taurususa.com.

rtilryarms
07-24-2008, 03:26 AM
All debates on this board are warranted. Remember, we are your first readers. You have the final decision on what you write; our job is to give you information as to what we will read.

Personally, I spend weeks researching even one paragraph because if I am not accurate, I will lose credibility.

I think all questions are worth debate to my questions

soleary
07-24-2008, 03:39 AM
Best gun advice I have is don't get one. They are loud and can do very, very bad things. :)

Snowstorm
07-24-2008, 04:41 AM
A LadySmith is a revolver that was manufactured for a woman's smaller hand. I don't know if your character is male or female. If it's a male, him carrying a "girl's" gun may be an opportunity for some interesting fun. A Walther PPK (James Bond's gun) is a nice light gun too.

MelancholyMan
07-24-2008, 08:12 AM
I want a nice, light, fairly accurate handgun for my character. I was thinking a Glock. Am I on the right track?

Who is your character, where is he/she from, and what is his/her job in the story? What does he/she expect to be using the gun for? How much money does this person have?

A US (ex?) military man might use a 45 ACP or a 40 S&W. Someone from Western Europe would probably use a Browning Hi-Power or a Beretta, mostly likely in 9mm. East Block might go with a CZ or Makarov. Chinese will be different again, Norinco possibly.

Non-military may very well use a revolver. They are still absolute the most reliable handgun design and can be made very small and lightweight.

Male or female? A man might go for a full size frame where a woman might use something like a Smith&Wesson Air Weight.

There are a lot of makers and designs and it is unlikely a Russian will be packing a Ruger, or a Brit lugging around a Makarov. And a German is only going to carry German. Period. Supply a bit more information and we could probably match your character up with a pistol that would suit him/her to a 'T'.

Oh, and there is no such thing as a light, fairly accurate handgun. An accurate handgun is going to be big and heavy. Also, despite what you may have seen in movies, handguns are useless beyond about 50 feet, especially against moving targets. But we can probably overlook that one.:)

And with regards to soleary, I think it's probably okay for a character in a book to have one.

-MM

chevbrock
07-24-2008, 09:46 AM
My character is Australian. He will be about 17 years old. The gun is supplied to him by extremely dodgy friend who can pretty much source anything "off the back of a truck".

It's pretty much just a tool to point at people so they do what he wants them to do.

MM, I admit freely to watching too many movies! That's why I come on AW and ask people who REALLY know what they are talking about.

Thanks to everyone for replying! :)

chevbrock
07-24-2008, 01:08 PM
It was quite scary. I went to the Taurus website and found myself with a dry mouth, looking for the shopping cart button.

You can even buy pretty pink ones!

What beautiful engineering.

MelancholyMan
07-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Here is the perfect little heater for your boy:

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p32.html

Cheaply made but decent quality. Tiny. Fits in the palm of your hand. Or disappears into a pocket. Excellent reviews. The very rod a thug would carry to ensure he wins arguments. Not particularly accurate but at 10 feet all you need to do is point. And the .32 caliber cartridge has a reputation a bit more in line with the mood it sounds as if you are trying to strike.

-MM

chevbrock
07-25-2008, 05:38 AM
That is magic! Thanks sooo much, MM! :D

MelancholyMan
07-25-2008, 06:32 AM
My personal favorites...

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=176 :D

It was quite scary. I went to the Taurus website and found myself with a dry mouth, looking for the shopping cart button.

You can even buy pretty pink ones!

What beautiful engineering.

Summonere
07-25-2008, 08:34 PM
A few small and light guns:

Glock 26:: http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

- click "models" / "G26"
Springfield XD subcompact:: http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?model=2
Springfield EMP:: http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=24
Walther PPK:: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=13152&storeId=10002&productId=58943&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=43802&isFirearm=Y
Walther PPS:: http://www.walther-pps.com/

A few even smaller and lighter ones:

Rohrbaugh: http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/product/prod_set.html
Kahr PM9: http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_pm.html
Ruger LCP: http://www.ruger.com/LCP/

Also, despite what you may have seen in movies, handguns are useless beyond about 50* feet (A), especially against moving targets(B).

In the interest of idle chit-chat (no real criticism of the above): Part A, no. Part B, yes. Part C: at those ranges*, a carbine is mightily much more useful. (Part A, though, depends on shooter and gun. With full-sized and compact guns, 75 feet is quite doable. With a subcompact, though, such as those listed above ... tricky.)

Melenka
07-28-2008, 05:51 AM
I did a lot of research on guns for my WIP. I talked to gun owners, went to various gun review sites and checked out what the military uses in different countries. Before the rewrite, I am going to learn to shoot a handgun because I honestly don't think I can write realistically about it unless I know how it feels. God bless my husband, he's getting me the lessons. No gun though. Not in my house.

MelancholyMan
07-28-2008, 06:50 AM
I did a lot of research on guns for my WIP. I talked to gun owners, went to various gun review sites and checked out what the military uses in different countries. Before the rewrite, I am going to learn to shoot a handgun because I honestly don't think I can write realistically about it unless I know how it feels.

Good for you!!!

God bless my husband, he's getting me the lessons. No gun though. Not in my house.

You may change your mind when you see how fun - yes fun - the sport of shooting can be. And how safe it is when done responsibly. Properly stored guns are no more dangerous than a hammer.

-MM

ideagirl
07-28-2008, 08:35 PM
The gun will only really feature in a couple of scenes. I just wanted a picture of what it would look like for description purposes. Australian coppers now carry Glocks, and they look quite "sexy" for a gun, which is why I thought that it would be a good choice. Knowing its calibre may also help, too.

Having a Glock may be helpful, also, because I thought up a way of making the gun legally issued through the police system, but just lost in so much paperwork that tracking it down would take years.

Just a pedantic detail: if you need the gun to be one issued to an Australian police officer and then lost in paperwork, you need the gun to be a model that actually is issued to Australian police. My guess (pure speculation) is that Glock 26 is not issued to cops; in America anyway, cops tend to get full-sized guns, not little ones. But, there is the possibility that smaller guns are issued to smaller police officers (e.g. women), because you really do need to use a gun that fits your hand--people with small hands need small guns. Not necessarily small-caliber guns, but guns that are scaled down a bit. Otherwise it's dangerous--if you can't get a good grip on the gun, it could flip out of your hand when being fired, and it's easier for an assailant to wrestle it away from you.

So I guess what I'm saying is, go to your local police station, tell them you're a writer writing a story that features a gun issued to an Australian cop, and ask them "what types of guns do you guys carry? What's the smallest type? Do you guys ever get Glock 26's?"

Giant Baby
07-28-2008, 09:54 PM
The heroine of my WIP is always on the lookout for smaller, lighter handguns. The three I've discovered for her are (in descending order of size):

Smith & Wesson 367 (here (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=14763&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=))
Beretta Bobcat (or Tomcat, I'm going with the Bobcat) (here (http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_pistols_main.htm))
Ruger LCP (here (http://www.ruger.com/LCP/Specifications.html))

The Beretta is shorter in length than the Ruger, but it's thicker in width and heavier, so I susppose it would depend on how your character wants to conceal it which he'd consider "smaller.

milhistbuff1
07-30-2008, 01:02 AM
What time period are we talking here? A lugar or deringer might be more suitable. Especially if we are talking black market access.

Tiger
07-30-2008, 01:46 AM
The Sig Sauer p239 I tried was very accurate. I'd go for something with a single stack magazine.

morintp
07-30-2008, 08:33 AM
I know I'm late replying to this thread, but I wanted to add a couple things. If it's going to be a police issued weapon, you should definitely check to see what the local LEOs use. A Taurus would definitely not be on that list. They have a reputation for being unreliable. Any gun entusiast reading your novel would pick up on this. Mainly LEOs will use Glocks, Sig Sauer, HK, Beretta, Ruger, etc. Usually Glocks and Sigs are the main two, but generally any "brand name" gun that has a reputation for reliability.

If it's just a citizen owned handgun, it can be almost anything. Although, if the owner is an entusiast it should probably be a decent gun. If it's just something the character has, then by all means, use a Taurus or a Hi-Point. They are such poor guns that I even try to keep them out of the hands of an imaginary character. :)

I did a lot of research on guns for my WIP. I talked to gun owners, went to various gun review sites and checked out what the military uses in different countries. Before the rewrite, I am going to learn to shoot a handgun because I honestly don't think I can write realistically about it unless I know how it feels. God bless my husband, he's getting me the lessons. No gun though. Not in my house.

My wife felt the same way as you until we started getting "visits" after midnight at our rural address. I mention rural, because it takes emergency personnel 45 minutes minimum to make it to our house. Now she has her own Sig P232, and enjoys shooting.

Good for you!!!

You may change your mind when you see how fun - yes fun - the sport of shooting can be. And how safe it is when done responsibly. Properly stored guns are no more dangerous than a hammer.

-MM

I agree.

The Sig Sauer p239 I tried was very accurate. I'd go for something with a single stack magazine.

Sigs are my favorite. :)

ideagirl
07-30-2008, 06:43 PM
The heroine of my WIP is always on the lookout for smaller, lighter handguns. The three I've discovered for her are (in descending order of size):
Smith & Wesson 367 (here (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=14763&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=))
Beretta Bobcat (or Tomcat, I'm going with the Bobcat) (here (http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_pistols_main.htm))
Ruger LCP (here (http://www.ruger.com/LCP/Specifications.html))
The Beretta is shorter in length than the Ruger, but it's thicker in width and heavier, so I susppose it would depend on how your character wants to conceal it which he'd consider "smaller.

I have a Beretta Cheetah. There are two models, and mine's the smaller one, with a lower-capacity magazine (to make the grips... well... grippable for those with small hands, such as myself). There's no way I could conceal the Cheetah on my person (I'm tiny), unless I were wearing a parka or something, but it's easily concealed in a normal-sized purse.

But the smallest, lightest guns I've ever seen are made by Kel-Tec. They're INSANELY small--the .32 caliber handgun weighs 6.6 ounces, the .380 weighs 7.2, and the 9mm weighs 14oz. A .380 or even a .32 with hollowpoints has fine stopping power, and for something that weighs about as much as three Snickers bars ("Marathon bars" for those in the UK), that ain't bad!

Tiger
08-01-2008, 01:36 AM
Kel-Tecs. Kahrs are pretty small as well--and will fire 9mm Luger.