Work conspiracy

goatmam

Your imaginary friend
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
So I just have to post this cause maybe some of you can give me your thoughts. I work for the PartyCity company and when I started we were a franchise. Well within the past month our owners sold the company and we've gone corp. Not such a bad thing, because I got promoted and what not, but there has been something the past 2 days. I've never had a drawer short or over on change when I work register, and the past Thurs. I had $10 even missing from my drawer so they gave me a verbal warning. The very next day my drawer was missing $20 even. So my boss called up whoever he talks to about these things and told them about it. Apparently it's not entirely my fault because my drawer is handled by to many other ppl (the person who counts it in the morning and takes it when i am done) So now we all have to count our own drawers and are responsible for them... It just bothers me cause I want to know where this money went. I'm particularly careful about counting money handed to me and counting it back to the customer. I'm just irritated. Guess I should be happy that the two writes ups are void now but still! Makes me wonder.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Where I worked (just got laid off about ten minutes ago due to the economy, oy, ow, I'm going to be in a soup kitchen soon the way things are going no joke), we were not allowed to close out nor set up the drawer, a manager did that. During the course of any given day there were always two people using the register. At one point we needed a third person and shortly after the new hire started $$$$$ began disappearing, a bill there, a bill here, and all were under suspicion. He was figured out and let go, but Christ. There was a nasty little cloud over all of us for a while.

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
I feel your upset over this. I was an accountant for near 15 years. I also had a second job in retail for almost 7 of those years. I HATED it if my drawer came up short (even loose change short). We had many people working the registers throughout shifts and it could never be pinned on any one person when large amounts went missing. I felt like people looked at me like I was a thief and hated it. They implemented a program to sic the employees on each other and make them police each other so that tills would stop coming up short. If you reported an employee for theft and it proved true you could get $100-$500 and/or a percent of the total theft. (Jewelry was often stolen and was costly, thus you got a percent rather than a set dollar amount). It did make employees more vigilant and money stopped disappearing.

NERDS: I will keep my fingers crossed you another job soon!

goatmam

Your imaginary friend
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Will... I know, it drives me bonkers! I just think it seems fishy to me that I go from almost perfect drawers to bam $10 bam $20... I think something is UP!

goatmam

Your imaginary friend
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
(just got laid off about ten minutes ago due to the economy, oy, ow, I'm going to be in a soup kitchen soon the way things are going no joke)

Ouch. Well I hope you find something quick! Best of luck to ya', I know the economy is tough right now. Which is why I'm stuck in retail making min. wage. Again good luck!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
maybe they want to take your promotion back?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Will... I know, it drives me bonkers! I just think it seems fishy to me that I go from almost perfect drawers to bam $10 bam $20... I think something is UP!
If your and your immediate supervisor have a good relationship, you might want to talk with him or her and say pretty much exactly this.

You know your own accuracy record, and your boss probably does, too, making two shortages seem highly suspect when s/he knows other people handle your drawer. Logically, if you'd simply become careless, some of the time the drawer would be over. The fact that it's short by rounded multiples of ten suggests petty theft.

Maryn, whose friend had to fire a girl last winter for stealing quarters from the register

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I can feel your pain. I work at a grocery store and sometimes there are five people working on the same register. I pride myself in not being short or over and when it happens I always feel like the managers are looking at me. They hired this new guy and every time he took the register over after my shift, it seemed it was always short by 10, 15 or 50 dollars. He no longer works there so I believe someone got smart. Personally I think they should start with a fresh drawer of money everytime a new person takes over.

goatmam

Your imaginary friend
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
If your and your immediate supervisor have a good relationship, you might want to talk with him or her and say pretty much exactly this.

You know your own accuracy record, and your boss probably does, too, making two shortages seem highly suspect when s/he knows other people handle your drawer. Logically, if you'd simply become careless, some of the time the drawer would be over. The fact that it's short by rounded multiples of ten suggests petty theft.

Maryn, whose friend had to fire a girl last winter for stealing quarters from the register

Yeah I think he has caught on also, after the second time. That's why they are starting this new system. I told him how I felt and everything, and he hopes our new system eliminates this. Problem is, they still have other ppl handle our drawers, i.e the return policy. Only certain ppl can take care of returns and it's one of these girls that I have a feeling, if anyone at all is taking cash from my drawer would be the one.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Personally I think they should start with a fresh drawer of money everytime a new person takes over.

Agree. I know of several places which do this but they're all very small businesses. I think maybe Wal-Mart might too but not sure if I have that right.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, Wegmans--Consumer Reports best grocery store, headquartered where I live--does this. Every cashier has his or her own drawer, counted in and out by him or her and confirmed by the front end manager. Returns, change, cash back, all counted by the drawer holder and nobody else.

It's easily the best-run business I've ever patronized, in every way, so if they can make it work, it might well be worth emulating.

Maryn, Weggies fan

goatmam

Your imaginary friend
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I hope your right Maryn. I'd hate to loose my job because someone else is dipping into my drawer. I need my job! The Returns thing is the only problem, but I'm going to always request a manager do my returns cause I don't trust the other girl.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The grocery store I work in has a policy that if your drawer is $100 short they can instantly fire you. A few months back my drawer was exactly $100 short and I had been the only one running it the day before. The next morning I show up and the supervisor tells me this as she frantically begins tearing my drawer out and looing in the hole. Low and behold there was a hundred dollar bill tucked in there. Somehow it must have slipped out and lodged itself in the hole. I was so happy it was there because for a few moments I was feeling like I was going to get fired.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
. . . and looing in the hole.

at least she didn't loo in the cash register.

:roll:

sorry. couldn't resist.

----------------

on a more serious note, I just finished a long phone conversation with one of my (now former) co-workers. Turns out that right after I was let go one of the nicer guys in the other department was also laid off. He and his wife have a seven-day-old baby and were about to sign on a house, which is now out the window. Hang onto your jobs with all you've got, people, and fasten your seatbelts. It's getting rough.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I guess "the hole" does sound funny. I couldn't think of a better term for the place the metal box fits into. It's not like a register that's contained. There's two separate pieces to the thing and the metal box fits into this "hole". Yep, I work in a high class grocery store.:D