PDA

View Full Version : Final Draft question - minimum specs

AFS
07-20-2008, 06:10 PM
OK, I don't know if this is even the right place to ask this question, but I'm going to get a laptop soon (a pretty old one), and while running Final Draft isn't a need, it is a want. So I'm just wondering if it could run any version of Final Draft, or anything like it (in case you can't tell, I'm damn near computer illiterate).

Here's the specs:

Dell Inspiron 7500R (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/psyd/specs.htm)

CPU - Intel mobile Pentium III @ 500 MHz
RAM - 128 MB SODIMM
HDD - ~6 GB IDE HDD

Thanks.

icerose
07-20-2008, 06:25 PM
The newer ones you'd be hardpressed, but you might be able to find an older version, or a free software program that doesn't take much effort from your computer. You'll probably see a lag time between when you hit the keys and when the words actually appear and you'll risk locking it up when you go to save.

Out of curiosity why are you going for such an old one? Wal-mart has some really nice laptops for $500.

clockwork
07-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Moved this to Screenwriting software tech room.

These are the requirements for Final Draft 7.1.3 from their company website. In order to find the specs for older versions, you'd have to find a copy on ebay or amazon marketplace and enquire about the system requirements.

Final Draft requires the following:

Windows® System Requirements:
• Pentium class or better processor
• Windows 2000, XP or Vista
• 128MB of RAM
• 35MB of available hard drive space
• CD-ROM drive or an internet connection

Note: These system requirements are for the 7.1.3 release of Final Draft. If your computer does not meet these requirements, you may be able to run an earlier version. Call Final Draft Sales at 800-231-4055 or 818-995-8995 for more information.

Final Draft isn't a particularly taxing piece of software but like ice said, you should look at getting the best you can for the money you can afford because the one you're looking at is pretty low spec even just for word processing.

AFS
07-20-2008, 07:45 PM
The thing is, I don't have $500. I'm getting this one for $150, and like I said, I don't NEED Final Draft, it would just be nice.

And thanks for moving the thread. Sorry about that.

icerose
07-20-2008, 07:55 PM
How long would it take you to save up an extra 350 bucks, because if you waited, you'd be getting a far superior laptop than you are now. That laptop you're buying is a good 10 years old. If you can be patient, put it off a couple of months, pinch your pennies, it'll be well worth the wait.

AFS
07-20-2008, 08:13 PM
...Ah dammit, now you got me thinking.

Maybe you're right. Any suggestions on where to put my money?

icerose
07-20-2008, 10:21 PM
...Ah dammit, now you got me thinking.

Maybe you're right. Any suggestions on where to put my money?

How far into your writing career are you? If you're just getting started, save up for the better laptop and go for the freebies script software. There's some pretty decent ones that are listed right on this board that will do everything you need them to do.

But the laptop, if you go with a bad one, it has a really limited use. If you go for a nicer one, you'll get a lot more bang for your bucks. You'll be able to watch movies, listen to music, write, save pictures, so on and so forth. With the old one, you won't have those options, so it will only be good for writing. Between the software and that old computer you're already looking at 200-300 bucks. If you go with a good laptop that has it's own warantee, a very nice feature, and a free software program you're looking at 500 but you'll have more flexibility with it and a longer haul.

AFS
07-20-2008, 11:00 PM
I have absolutely no interest in watching movies or listening to music on a computer. That would be a waste of money to me. I don't need to use it to surf the net. I really don't care if I have to rub two sticks together to start it.

The only thing I need it for is writing, idealy with Fianl Draft or some such screenwriting software.

icerose
07-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Well you won't need much of a computer, but it will have to pass those base requirements. Good luck.

gophergrrrl
07-21-2008, 03:03 AM
Since we're on the topic of Final Draft, I use Celtx and I love it. I can't imagine any program better (and I've used several other programs... they were atrocious). I would like to see what all the fuss is about, but I wouldn't want to spend that much cash on the program, and it would really have to be incredible to sway me from Celtx. Is there anywhere that you can get a LEGAL free sample or trial? I'd just like to see what FD is like.

icerose
07-21-2008, 04:13 AM
Since we're on the topic of Final Draft, I use Celtx and I love it. I can't imagine any program better (and I've used several other programs... they were atrocious). I would like to see what all the fuss is about, but I wouldn't want to spend that much cash on the program, and it would really have to be incredible to sway me from Celtx. Is there anywhere that you can get a LEGAL free sample or trial? I'd just like to see what FD is like.

Yeah, go to finaldraft.com and download the trial.

I use final draft because a friend of mine gave me their copy they no longer wanted. If I had to go with a program from the start and face paying 200 bucks for a copy, I'd go with Celtx because, well one I'm poor, and two, I'm cheap.